Gold or polished brass with the CZ-21? :)

Caribbeanson

Forum Supporter
Had an OK time this weekend with the CZ-21. A few black crusted quarters, nickels, none silver (most around the mid 80's). One black earring that I didn't have a chance to clean yet, then these unknowns:

This item was found broken, seems broken in 2 pieces. My wild imagination wants to think its half of something gold but the evil dude on my shoulder keeps saying its brass dummy :roll: The curve doesn't look concentric/proportional but...
20180408_2309012.jpg

Seems pretty heavy for its size. 22ish grams not including the dime (for scale)
20180408_2332302.jpg

Decided to try polish one end of the top side with the Dremel. Looks more interesting but don't have any gold acid. Magnet doesn't stick to it but...
20180408_2334162.jpg

Then I found these other brass ish items? Almost looks like a lock's internal parts or something. Definitely more brass looking than the first item but magnet doesn't stick to them either so I guess the magnet test is bogus :)
20180408_2335272.jpg

Those electronic testers work pretty well too should you know someone in your area with one or perhaps a jewlery shop would give you a go on one

Thanks Felix. Great advice. Just tried it and got 8.84 and 8.54 so seems like brass :) :lol: I had my doubts just cuz it didnt look like a ring but...

Sanded one side with Dremel and without the polishing it looks more like brass :)

20180410_180038.jpg

Polished side :)
20180410_180103.jpg

Those electronic testers work pretty well too should you know someone in your area with one or perhaps a jewlery shop would give you a go on one

Thanks, I was just checking them out after your suggestion. Don't think Jetblue wants me carrying gold acid so the electronic tester might be worth a look. But the specific gravity is pretty cool too :)

Or....I am getting the best gold tester one can buy soon...its name...Equinox. :) lol

Looks brass to me. Hopefully gold is hiding out there. you will know it.

No idea what those strange things are.

Think I was right, the 3 strange items appear to be "lock levers" or whatever their official name is. Google wins again :)

maxresdefault.jpg

I would bet it's brass, clean the others and they will look the same. Very rare for gold to be pitted, and gold will stain.

Attachments

• bay hunt june 19 2013.jpg
    bay hunt june 19 2013.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 296
Back
Top Bottom