Yesterday’s Hunt PLUS Bonus 1st Shark Encounter Story!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
My Spring Break was dismal as far as the amount of hunts I wanted to get in. I only hunted 2X when I had planned on at least 4. (Dealing with older parent issues kept me from getting out there but that’s a whole other story). I was back to work yesterday and was itching for a hunt so I readied my gear Sunday night and packed it in the car to go to work in the morning. About 10 minutes after school ended, I was off to the beach and in the water at just after 3pm. With a 5pm low tide that was good. I went to my regular beach where I found that sweet diamond ring a couple of weeks ago. I noticed the water temps are getting warmer and actually pretty nice now – not too cold and not too hot. I worked offshore and inshore. I spent a good 1.5 hours out of my total 3½ working the same stretch near shore where I found that nice ring. I was working a few more yards out parallel to the shore and was hitting the same caked coins, a couple of sinkers and the 3 keys that I found together that were a faint signal that I chased. The only difference in the results this time was that the yellow didn’t appear. The watch find I thought was strange as the faceplate is turned 90º. It doesn’t matter as that hunt was to get out and destress from issues I dealt with over Spring Break.

SHARK ENCOUNTER: :ohthedrama: In my last hour, I was offshore near a sandbar and noticed a woman pointing out to her husband and child something offshore. I looked and saw a cruise ship in the horizon, in addition to a sailing ship. I followed her look and kept looking to where I thought she was pointing to. After a while I saw what she was signaling out, it was a 4’ cream colored shark that was patrolling near the surface. (By its’ shape and demeanor I do not think it was a nurse shark but I am no expert) I moved and hunted towards it and then he started coming to me to investigate I guess. :blink: When he got too close for comfort I pulled up the Excal and he was about a foot away from the coil and pulled away, still swimming in a southerly direction like I was moving. Even though I was hunting, my attention was on him and I kept looking over. He was keeping about a 10’ distance but still traveling parallel with me. Then I noticed that he came towards me again but this time I readied the Stealth in front of me in case he wanted to chomp down on something it wouldn’t be me! As he got near the Stealth he quickly turned away and started heading north. That was the last of “Sharky”. That was my 1st encounter as a water hunter in over 10 years. I have also learned that the Stealth is not just a great scoop - but it repels sharks as well! :yes::lol:

Attachments

• 4-2-18.jpg
    4-2-18.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 382
  • 4-2-18 Seiko.jpg
    4-2-18 Seiko.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 393
  • 4-2-18 trash.jpg
    4-2-18 trash.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 392
I'll bet that got the heart pumping, not to mention getting other stresses of life off your mind. At least for a few minutes anyway.
Glad you're safe Felix, quite an adventure!

mmmmmmm

Its a good thing you paid attention to what the woman was pointing to, otherwise , the shark might have :sneaking: up on you and took a chunk out of your leg, glad you payed attention, Earl

A little 4 footer? Maybe he wanted to see your gold. I swam with 5 3 - 4 foot black tipped sharks in Daytona. Awesome critters. They didn't bother me at all.

Glad he didn't want to take a bite out of you.

But I did learn why they circle you with their fin out of the water before they bite you.

You taste better after they scare the cwap out of you.

Nice hunt Felix. Very strange watch.

Up here Felix we call those caked coins cookie coins because once they dry you crack them and it reminds one of an Oreo cookie :D I have been in the water with a couple sharks up on Cape Cod... the local I was with told me they were juvenile great whites... to me 9 feet isn't a juvenile :lol: Interesting finds.. ;)

Might have been a lemon shark? Had one swim beside me and almost tailwhip me once. Appeared to get a little goosey when it passed my coil. Seen a few Bull sharks. Those are the ones you want to get out of the water for. Kapi had a Hammerhead behind her once while me and another friend were taking a break on shore. Big one too!:lol:

Larry

:lol: Tell us the entire story :please::popcorn: ps we know why the shark went away from Felix , it was his stinkin high dollar booties howboutit:laughing:

Last edited:
Felix, That little fish just wanted to be friends with you. You did not say how bad you filled up your pants. Glad you are OK. At least you found some junk and coins... KEN. :D9

Might have been a lemon shark? Had one swim beside me and almost tailwhip me once. Appeared to get a little goosey when it passed my coil.
Larry, that species didn't occur to me because I know they're a little hard to come by but that may have been it. After looking at some pictures on the web the coloring matches perfectly so that was probably it.

Attachments

• A-juvenile-lemon-shark-tagged-with-an-accelerometer.jpg
    A-juvenile-lemon-shark-tagged-with-an-accelerometer.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 272
SHARK ENCOUNTER: :ohthedrama: In my last hour, I was offshore near a sandbar and ... I have also learned that the Stealth is not just a great scoop - but it repels sharks as well! :yes::lol:
:shock: Brother, even at 4-feet, I would have been walking-on-water to get out of there! I've been within a few feet of some baby black fin up here in St. Aug, but the scary times were in Tampa. In one week we had six encounters. All were 6-8' long. The redeeming thing about Tampa was the water was so clear, people identified them and warned us. We couldn't get back to shore before they approached us, but they didn't care about us. They were chasing a school of fish. ....still had to change my shorts. :lol:

BTW, the watch....lol, I'm still trying to figure that out.

:shock: Brother, even at 4-feet, I would have been walking-on-water to get out of there!

Do you not watch "Naked & Afraid" and see to what lengths they go to for some food? I saw an old episode last night where they're in the Everglades and the guy catches a small alligator that he smoked. Well when I'm out there searching for yellow its the same kind of hunger! :laughing:

BTW, the watch....lol, I'm still trying to figure that out.
I have tried physically moving it with my hands and nothing. Its definitely strange what happened.

I'm with itsaring, could be a lemon, hopefully not a bully. I've seen posts on here before with people weighing in on whether the detectors set off the sharks or not.

The species that I think about most is the Hammerheads. A coil in the water scrubbing the sand not only looks like a tasty small ray but the detector might also be setting off the electroreceptory sensory pores (ampullae of Lorenzini) of the shark :no: :?: :surrender:

Everything in the Ocean wants to eat you and will if the opportunity presents itself

Felix

Get used to it, when that new law goes in effect , there your new bud's, you can start naming them , like the tracker's of the Great White's , down their hunting in the water with the shark's , the only good thing will be , if ROMY send's a Mermaid your way :yes::D:lol: GOOD LUCK.

Was fishing about a kilometre offshore few weeks ago and something was taking our fish as we were reeling them in. We used one of the successful catches as bait to see if we could tempt it, sure enough, after about 20 minutes we got a good bite and he took off (we were using fairly light tackle)
After a good 15 minute fight up pops a 3ft black tip reef shark, small enough to pull into the boat by the tail and remove the hook with pliers and send him on his way. He didn't bother us again for the rest of the afternoon, a sore jaw I suspect!

Having swam with sharks a few times they don't bother me when I'm snorkeling with them, they give me the heebee geebies though if I'm wading and see one.

Back
Top Bottom