One chance at hunting an 1816 home site, how would you attack it?

Dave_e

Elite Member
Tomorrow I've got a shot to detect an 1816 home on a couple acres. This is extremely old for my area.

I've got an Impact with the 9x11 and 4.5x7 coils.

I have about 4 hours tomorrow and likely that's all.

I have so many ideas of frequency use, coils, settings, specific physical areas to start,etc....that I'm confusing myself.

How would you set up and detect this site to cherry pick coins and relics?
I've always been able to hit my permissions multiple times in the past so this situation is new for me.

Tomorrow I've got a shot to detect an 1816 home on a couple acres. This is extremely old for my area.

I have so many ideas of frequency use, coils, settings, specific physical areas to start,etc....that I'm confusing myself.

I've always been able to hit my permissions multiple times in the past so this situation is new for me.

I personally would bring both coils.
Start out with the larger to cover more ground. I would try and determine where people might of congregated and start there.. look for where the old clothes line might of been Look there. hit around all trees. Look for Picnic areas and play areas.

if you hit a really trashy area maybe go to the smaller coil.
I would avoid digging the Iron until the end .. if at all.

I would maybe even go so far as bringing some poker chips and marking targets and dig them all at once as it is easy to get bogged down on digging everything.. maybe color code them as promising or iffy. and dig the promising first

Whatever you do GOOD LUCK on your hunt.. sounds like you are excited and that's an awesome feeling. There is an old saying "The most exciting part of the hunt is when prey and predator make eye contact" seems fitting here.

Go with the set up you have the most confidence in. Hopefully this site is fairly clean and is not loaded with iron. If you only have 4 hours concentrate on areas that have people use. Walkways, entrance and exit means, mailbox, clothes lines, play areas. Generally the farther away from the home the less activity. if this site has not been picked before most of you targets will be 7 inches or less. have fun and give us a report your finds. Trapper

Go with the set up you have the most confidence in. Hopefully this site is fairly clean and is not loaded with iron. If you only have 4 hours concentrate on areas that have people use. Walkways, entrance and exit means, mailbox, clothes lines, play or activity areas. Generally the farther away from the home the less activity. If this site has not been picked before most of you targets will be 7 inches or less. Good luck, have fun and give us a report your finds. Trapper

6 Jolt Colas, and dig it all ;)

iu

I personally would bring both coils.
I would maybe even go so far as bringing some poker chips and marking targets and dig them all at once as it is easy to get bogged down on digging everything.. maybe color code them as promising or iffy. and dig the promising first

Poker chips are a good idea but theyr'e LIGHT. Bit of a breeze and whoops! Off they fly. I'd go with either bright yellow golf tees, OR a combination. Melt the center of each poker chip with a soldering iron, and then drove a LONG nail through it to make something that would anchor in the ground. Secure with hot glue and you have a good marker you can re-use.

Sage(THERE it is!!)Grouse

Poker chips are a good idea but theyr'e LIGHT. Bit of a breeze and whoops! Off they fly. I'd go with either bright yellow golf tees, OR a combination. Melt the center of each poker chip with a soldering iron, and then drove a LONG nail through it to make something that would anchor in the ground. Secure with hot glue and you have a good marker you can re-use.

Sage(THERE it is!!)Grouse

Save yourself some time, go to Lowes, Home Depot, Menards..... and buy a $7 bundle of survey Flags (like 50 to a bundle?).

i would go with a combination of advice--- 6 pack of jolt, survey flags and pick high signals first! Bring a friend or two!

All good advice so far. I would go with the flags for marking if that is what you decide to do.

On a separate note, why only once and only 4 hours?

Good luck!

Cherry pick the coin signals first. If time start in on the non-nickel mid tones.

All good advice so far. I would go with the flags for marking if that is what you decide to do.

On a separate note, why only once and only 4 hours?

Good luck!

Very old couple.

Only allowed there while he’s at home tomorrow.

Wife doesn’t want us there at all but is away for the day, so husband said “come over and don’t tell her. I’m excited to see what you find!”
Hopefully we make friends and can get an extended invitation. It’s 10 min from my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very old couple.

Only allowed there while he’s at home tomorrow.

Wife doesn’t want us there at all but is away for the day, so husband said “come over and don’t tell her. I’m excited to see what you find!”
Hopefully we make friends and can get an extended invitation. It’s 10 min from my house.

Thanks all.

Update:
TONS of trash and a couple of wheats.

Hunt it all. Grid it all dig it all. You will be shocked at what some relics will ring up like.

Back
Top Bottom