Improving Conditions

Top-USMC

Forum Supporter
I had a nice little 3 hour hunt today.

Scored my second palladium ring (6 grams) as well as it being my largest ring so far.
Well, I think it is palladium. Seems similar to one sold by Goldsmiths UK with 9k Rose Gold inlay. It is marked "OR 950".

Also scored a cute little toe ring, I think is SS and another ring that I am pretty sure is copper.

The chain is interesting in that I rescued it as two different targets maybe a foot apart. I didn't even know they were a chain until I started going through my targets at home. Then I realized these hunks of black stuff had a chain inside. The gunk peels off really easy and I think the chain may be silver. Cleaning and testing to come.

The intricate design pendant also may be silver. Cleaning and testing to come.

The rock is interesting it is definietly the Hi tone target I had. It is NOT magnetic. Thoughts?

74 targets total in 3 hours. Almost 25 / hour is a pretty good rescue rate I think.

Daytime low tides are not very low the next few days but I hope to hunt a few hours each day anyway.

Thanks for looking ...

Attachments

• all_targets.jpg
    all_targets.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 587
  • it_fits.jpg
    it_fits.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 510
  • OR_950.jpg
    OR_950.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 518
  • toe_ring.jpg
    toe_ring.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 517
  • copper_ring.jpg
    copper_ring.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 516
Very nice hunt! Congrats!

I have no clue what "OR" means, but 950 is platinum

From what I have found so far, platinum is (almost) always marked with some form of 'PT' or 'PLAT' as well as the percentage.

Does anyone know of platinum being marked otherwise?

I guess I could do a specific density test. But at 6g for a ring this size my guess is that platinum would be closer to 10 - 11 grams. Thoughts?

I guess I could do a specific density test. But at 6g for a ring this size my guess is that platinum would be closer to 10 - 11 grams. Thoughts?

I agree with you on this. Is there a possibility it could be silver?

Excellent finds! Is that black object the rock? I sometimes get a reading off my metal detector or pinpointer on pieces of coal that were partly fired. Drives me nuts.

Silver jewelry can be marked 950. It is not common but it does exist.

950 Silver
Silver of 95 percent purity is relatively rare because it is a nonstandard alloy. Technically it is not fine silver because it falls considerably below 99.9 percent fineness. This means it is sterling silver, but more pure than most sterling silver. 950 silver will be softer than most sterling silver and will tarnish more easily. This means it is unlikely to be used in most industrial applications. Most 950 silver is used for jewelry.

cool ring. I've seen pt950, pd950, s950 before.. pd will feel like 10k gold.or.so...should be able to tell from the weoght

From what I have found so far, platinum is (almost) always marked with some form of 'PT' or 'PLAT' as well as the percentage.

Does anyone know of platinum being marked otherwise?

Nice mystery ring you got there Tim :yes:

Have found Plat marked just with just the numbers and older Plat in Japan was marked Pm before the late 60's

Plat you can tell straight away. Nothing is as heavy as that stuff :yes:

Some 950 silver I find looks like plat in the scoop because it can come out real clean but just a feel of the weight let's me know what it is.
Take it in to a pawn shop and see what they say.

Could 'OR' be the maker's mark?

I believe it is. But I have yet to find that mark on the Internet.

I agree with you on this. Is there a possibility it could be silver?

It could be. Everything I found indicates that silver marked as 950 would have the decimal point in front of the 9. The specific density is 10, so it is looking more like silver than palladium.

I've found two 950 silver rings. Many are produced in South and Central America. Do a silver test to make sure...

I will order an acid test kit today.

Excellent finds! Is that black object the rock? I sometimes get a reading off my metal detector or pinpointer on pieces of coal that were partly fired. Drives me nuts.

Yep. There are no rocks on this beach. A few pebbles now and then but nothing like this thing. It doesn't have any of the charateristics of a meteorite as far as I can find. Sharp edges, non-magnetic and kind of shiny on one side.

Silver jewelry can be marked 950. It is not common but it does exist.

I am leaning towards silver now.

cool ring. I've seen pt950, pd950, s950 before.. pd will feel like 10k gold.or.so...should be able to tell from the weoght

I'm pretty sure it isn't heavy enough for PT. Certainly the specific density doesn't say PT either.

Nice mystery ring you got there Tim :yes:

Some 950 silver I find looks like plat in the scoop because it can come out real clean but just a feel of the weight let's me know what it is.
Take it in to a pawn shop and see what they say.

Pawn shops don't really exist here. People don't pawn their jewelry like in other places. It has to be a family crisis and then they pawn/sell it to one of the banks that are allowed to take used jewelry. Plus, I won't get a straight answer as soon as I open my mouth and they know I am not brasilero.

Now to get that test kit on order. I had decided to wait until I actually found some things here before ordering.

Sweet Find there Top! A multitone rig will tell you if its silver..high ping....unfortunately, gold, Plat Palladium, SSteel all sound the same lower tone... ORO means gold in spanish...so thats a possiblity even though yours says just OR...

That 950 mark is indicating a PM and not titanium or SSteel...so you sure got something there...Nice!
Mud

if your really stuck you could try electrolysis. Use a copper wire attached to the ring. If the wire has bubbles it's pd... if the ring bubbles it's silver. put it as near to the opposite prong without touching.
this is in theory though as I've never had to do it
I suppose white gold is a possibility too

if your really stuck you could try electrolysis. Use a copper wire attached to the ring. If the wire has bubbles it's pd... if the ring bubbles it's silver. put it as near to the opposite prong without touching.
this is in theory though as I've never had to do it
I suppose white gold is a possibility too

Do you have a more complete description or a link to a video or drawing?

If I am getting metal hot enough to bubble then I am in serious trouble. :shock:

So I guess you mean, inside a solution. But a solution of what?

What do you use for the second electrode? Whihc side of the battery is connected to the wire/ring combination?

Sweet Find there Top! A multitone rig will tell you if its silver..high ping....unfortunately, gold, Plat Palladium, SSteel all sound the same lower tone... ORO means gold in spanish...so thats a possiblity even though yours says just OR...

That 950 mark is indicating a PM and not titanium or SSteel...so you sure got something there...Nice!
Mud

Thanks Mud.

Well, I think the discrimination (Disc 0) on my CZ 21 isn't as definitive as others. If I air test gold (18k) rings 4 - 6 inches away they will give a high tone or a mid tone dependning on the angle of the ring to the coil and the area of the coil. The new ring and another (supposedly) palladium ring both give a hi tone.

With the specific density at 10 on this one I am leaning silver but it doesn't 'feel' soft enough for silver?

Test kit will be here next week.

Do you have a more complete description or a link to a video or drawing?

If I am getting metal hot enough to bubble then I am in serious trouble. :shock:

So I guess you mean, inside a solution. But a solution of what?

What do you use for the second electrode? Whihc side of the battery is connected to the wire/ring combination?
check cleaning silver with an old phone charger or electrolysis

Really nice finds Top. Who wouldn't be Happy with 3 beauties. Congrats on a great hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom