Settings to avoid deep iron with AT Pro???

BigKen

I detect here in southeastern Louisiana. Some of you may not know, but here in southeastern Louisiana when they used to prepare land to build on, they would bring in dirt from other places and fill in the area. They had to do this because most of the areas were swamp land. Now I know there are done old coins around because I have found some. My problem is the dirty they used to fill in the land was full of odd chunks of iron. I constantly get bouncy to solid high 80's to 90's signals only to dig a huge hole usually 12"+ with my pro pointer still indicating a large target, at which point I fill in the hole and shed a tear for being fooled by deep iron. I sometimes go -2 on sensitivity to try to avoid the iron, but I feel I might be missing deep silver too. Any suggestions??

Hey there. Perhaps using a smaller coil would help? Not only would you get less depth but also better separation of targets. GL and HH. Matt

Nasty fill dirt is a trick I suspect has been used all over. In Michigan it's common to take re claimed land spread 6 inches of topsoil over it, plant grass and call it a park. :roll:

If you suspect your target sounds too good to be true start raising your coil off the ground as you swing over the target. If you still hear it as you are going up it's a piece of junk. I have had my coil up past my knees and the target sounded the same.

If the target disappears as soon as you start lifting the coil you might want to give it a closer look.

Those places are tough to hunt and others will avoid them but you can do well there if you figure it out. Good Luck!

I see you said you go lower on the sensitivity , try lowering the ground balance like 2 to 4 points too , as covered on I think like page 34 ? of the manual. You are concerned about missing deep silver but if doing this loses a little depth it should be negligible.

Back
Top Bottom