Detecting in 1 ft of snow?

Glennz

Elite Member
does anyone detect in 1 ft of snow or more... i might try it this weekend on my hunted out yard out of boredom... and i'm not talking bout a surveyor's detector as those are still usable :P

does anyone detect in 1 ft of snow or more... i might try it this weekend on my hunted out yard out of boredom... and i'm not talking bout a surveyor's detector as those are still usable :P

I did last year a few times because cabin fever got to me and I just had to get out and dig...something.
I used my Vaquero and hovered over the snow in all metal and listened for any slight change in the threshold tone and then dug down through the snow hoping to get lucky and find some jewelry.
Wasn't lucky enough to find any of that, but I did manage to dig up some trash and a few coins.
Maybe about 75 cents total in a few short hunts so not all that worth it but at the time it did help me get through the winter....a little.

Attachments

• 20130224_141305.jpg
    20130224_141305.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 495
  • 20130302_152152.jpg
    20130302_152152.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 491
  • ed.jpg
    ed.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 489
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 492
  • P1030933.jpg
    P1030933.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 483
my snow wont be gone until may or june (although i hope for early breakup)... not sure about the property in the mountains i can detect though.

It's not the snow I would be worried about. It's the foot of frozen ground underneath that is gonna be the thing that gets ya.
Even deep in the wood is frozen in Wisconsin, I imagine Alaska has to be worse. A high of -12 this Monday seals the deal for us.
Were all stuck til spring.

You have got it bad brother, hang in there and don't go all Jack from the shining on us. :laughing:

I hate winter too but there's nothing we can do except maybe hit a creek if it warms up to say 25 or so.

we have a guy on the forum that lives in Canada and he hunts the sled hills and finds the fresh drops
never even digs in the ground

You just need a truck with a plow on it. It'll give you a nice 8 foot wide path close to the dirt that is pre gridded for you. Once you sweep that path plow another.

Try detecting Mall, Supermarket, public parking lot snow piles or wait until they melt- you may get eyeball finds. GL and HH. Matt

Back
Top Bottom