Rivers and Creeks

motor20

There are alot of small streams and creeks near where I work. The area has been settled since the 1700's. Does anyone think it would be worth my time to search them????

By all means do so. Look for deep holes where the kids might have had a rope swing. Back then kids didn't think twice about stopping by on the way home from school, shedding their clothes, and going for a dip. They would throw their clothes on the ground or over a bush. No telling what fell out of their pockets!

good point Jason,

Other points to ponder

the grownups used to bath in them creeks & brooks.

The women of the day also used to sometimes carry down and do the laundry by hand if they lived nearby.

and coins being washed into the creek beds from eroding hillsides or run-off from nearby roads.

Yes, Go for it. I just found a King George copper at a creek in an inch of water. One of my favorite places to hunt for old coins is along a riverbed.
Jim

Absolutely! I live next to a river, and have hunted it several times. All the things that was said plus if there is any canoe traffic will lend to making some good finds. ;) :yes:

Thanks all good advice,,

next question where do dropped coins go???

do they just sink and stay there or do the get swept away in the big rains.
There is one swimmin hole that Im sure was used by everyone from the indians to the settlers and miners and kids today. Last summer I snorkeled there all day and didnt find anything????

Thanks for the info I'll post my results.

Any gold coins will go pretty much straight down until they hit bedrock or clay. Silver/coppper probably the same, especially if they are old. If you have any exposed bedrock, be sure to check the cracks and crevices. A waterproof detector would be highly recommended for serious water hunting.

Welcome and best of luck!

Great next question will salt water detectors work just as well in fresh water rivers and creeks????

YES, GREATLY!!

motor20 said:
Great next question will salt water detectors work just as well in fresh water rivers and creeks????
you will have less problems with a detecor for salt water..in fresh water..usally will be more stable if theres black sand or other minerals that interfear with detecting..good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom