AM Low tide hunt @Salisbury Beach,Mass. slim finds but not bad..Nice sea glass.

BEACH HUNTER

IT WAS 30* AT START OF HUNT TOOK WIFE AND DAUGHTER TODAY..WE ALL HUNTED FOR SHELLS AND SEA GLASS...I DID GET ONE BUFFALO NICKLE. THE REST WAS JUST CLAD!!

Attachments

• HPIM0530 (Large).JPG
    HPIM0530 (Large).JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 3,137
  • HPIM0532 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    HPIM0532 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 905
  • HPIM0537 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM0537 (Medium).JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 802
  • HPIM0535 (Medium).JPG
    HPIM0535 (Medium).JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 917
Re: AM Low tide hunt @Salisbury Beach,Mass. slim finds but not bad..Nice sea gla

Sea glass? Is that just worn down shards? Looks cool. I like the blue/white speckled on.

THAT IS A OLD PIECE OF WORN CHINA..

Jason said:
Sea glass? Is that just worn down shards? Looks cool. I like the blue/white speckled on.
GLASS IS COOL ALL WORN SMOOTH.

Hey I was down there too at the reservation, my frost bite and I can attest for the cold. I didn't fair as well just a few pieces of clad and one nice gold charm bracelet, but at least we know where lobster traps go to die. I'll tell you what though I'll be right back there again tomorrow morning.

Re: AM Low tide hunt @Salisbury Beach,Mass. slim finds but not bad..Nice sea gla

Jason said:

Yep, it is glass worn down by the waves and sand. It is amazing cool to collect. Rare pieces can be cobalt blue or purple or even red. Sometimes you can still see embossing on the pieces. I've seen pics of the tops of old beer or soda bottle that broke off and were worn down into perfect circles you could wear like a ring. I used to look for it at Hampton and Salisbury beaches in NH and MA when I was a kid.

I was surprised to discover that you can also find it along the shores of Lake Ontario up here in NY. I guess there's enough wave action on the Great Lakes to produce it as well.

I've also seen bags of it for sale in stores like Pier 1, but I'm certain that it was artificially produced.

Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_glass

and

http://www.pureseaglass.com/index.html

THANKS FOR THE COOL LINKS!!

z118 said:
Jason said:

Yep, it is glass worn down by the waves and sand. It is amazing cool to collect. Rare pieces can be cobalt blue or purple or even red. Sometimes you can still see embossing on the pieces. I've seen pics of the tops of old beer or soda bottle that broke off and were worn down into perfect circles you could wear like a ring. I used to look for it at Hampton and Salisbury beaches in NH and MA when I was a kid.

I was surprised to discover that you can also find it along the shores of Lake Ontario up here in NY. I guess there's enough wave action on the Great Lakes to produce it as well.

I've also seen bags of it for sale in stores like Pier 1, but I'm certain that it was artificially produced.

Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_glass

and

http://www.pureseaglass.com/index.html
HAMPTON DOES NOT GIVE UP MUCH SEA GLASS ANY MORE..BUT SALISBURY IS A VERY GOOD PLACE TO FIND IT!!

"I guess there's enough wave action on the Great Lakes to produce it as well."
I have found some along the Lake Michigan, and Huron shores as there is more sand there. Get up around Superior, and there are more rocks, and although you may find some there, it pretty much gets pounded to dust in short order. When I was stationed in Gitmo Cuba, the enlisted mens club was on a high bluff/cliff, and below it was the landing spot for countless thousands of bottles. I checked it out, and as I remember it, there had to be seaglass at least four inches deep along that stretch of beach. :shock: Had I known then what I know now, I would have been sending this stuff home a lot. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom