1796 Large Cent but toasted

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
I returned to a location where I had found my oldest coin as noted on my signature, but this time with the Nox.

In much of the same general area I was finding many deep clad dimes, in fact, it ties my previous record from last week with 56 again.

I found a couple of SBA dollar coins to add to the variety. And a couple of twisted-up monogrammed silver plated spoons and metal/medallion which I still need to research.

The main catch-of-the-day was a very toasted 1796 large cent. It was about 6" down and VDI in about the zinc cent range. It was bent and I tried to straighten it up a bit in a vice with two blocks of wood. It is too far gone to clean it up much more. I can just read the date with a magnifying glass, but still semi-visible on the attached photos.

Overall, a good day.

Thanks again for reading my latest post!

Attachments

• Coins 1796 large cent 042118 003.jpg
    Coins 1796 large cent 042118 003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 408
  • Coins 1796 large cent 042118 004.jpg
    Coins 1796 large cent 042118 004.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 330
  • Coins 1796 large cent 042118 005.jpg
    Coins 1796 large cent 042118 005.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 346
  • Coins 1796 large cent 042118 007.jpg
    Coins 1796 large cent 042118 007.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 315
  • Coins 1796 large cent 042118 001.jpg
    Coins 1796 large cent 042118 001.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 324
  • Coins 1796 large cent 042118 002.jpg
    Coins 1796 large cent 042118 002.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 284
  • Coin back large cent 1796 042218 001.jpg
    Coin back large cent 1796 042218 001.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
WOW, thatsa lotta digging!

Thanks matmit! Thank goodness for a long shovel.

Is that a draped bust large cent? My eyes are seeing a cap though? Really nice! Congrats!

Thanks cellrdwellr! After researching it...I believe you are correct. Thanks again for your keen eye sight in see that.

Holy clad dimes! Great finds

Thanks coin whisperer! This Nox is killing it with nickel and dimes.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..View attachment 412807

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Im almost positive that's a liberty cap! Look at the hair above the 17...

Thanks Swinglow! Two confirmations are always better than one. The hair above the number one seems to be a perfect match.

That's a awful lot of digging. Congrats on the big clad numbers and digging that old Copper. A shame it isn't in better condition. Trapper

Thanks jack&jill! A lot of digging for one day, but it was worth it. And the copper was even bent to make matter worst. I was just glad I could still see the date.

Excellent finds! Nice job

Thanks WyoTom! I was just more lucky today. Even a clad dime makes me happy.

Regardless of the condition - any 1700's coin is a killer find - congrats !

Going by the condition of the coin - it looks like you were very lucky to get a readable date.

Awesome finds Jak! Congrats, I'm still looking for my first Largie.

Thanks BuscaPlata! The interesting thing is the two I found were both in the same general area.

Regardless of the condition - any 1700's coin is a killer find - congrats !

Going by the condition of the coin - it looks like you were very lucky to get a readable date.

Thanks E-TRAC-OHIO! And to think it is one of the near first USA minted cent pieces. And the date is like the only thing that is legible.

Great finds!!! Could you post a picture of the back of the large cent?
Looks like a fun day!

Thanks Coinshark! I have added a couple of extra photos and with the reverse side of the coin. Also, a photo of the coin's original bent condition.

nice haul!

Thanks calabush digger! The Nox has sure worked well for me. Basically all I been doing is re-hunting my prior sites and finding the real goodies and all the stuff I and others had missed before.

Us west coast hunters have bleeding hearts sympathy for the horror that you east coast guys must endure. When your latest LC isn't crisp and clear like the normal LC's you find everywhere. Oh how horrible it must be to have to find a toasted one for a change .

:sissyfight:

Us west coast hunters have bleeding hearts sympathy for the horror that you east coast guys must endure. When your latest LC isn't crisp and clear like the normal LC's you find everywhere. Oh how horrible it must be to have to find a toasted one for a change .

Thanks Tom_in_CA! Those coppers don't come that easy. However, you guys on the West have a good fun opportunities to find the real gold nuggets such as in panning...which I think would be a blast!

Nice, nice and nice!!

Thanks RF1! Thanks for your kinds words. For that coin being in dog condition it feels great to just finding it!

looks like a liberty cap largie congrats :D

Thanks brncofan! I think you are right. For its age, it is amazing the date is like the only legible detail on it. And I glad it was there.

Thanks Tom_in_CA! Those coppers don't come that easy. However, you guys on the West have a good fun opportunities to find the real gold nuggets such as in panning...which I think would be a blast!

Back
Top Bottom