Equinox 1770s Spanish and US silver

GKman

Forum Supporter
Hello folks
I hope everyone is okay out there. I am not much of a park Hunter preferring to spend most of my time in the woods and fields. But I have been detecting some parks lately with the Minelab Equinox 800 to help me learn how it operates.
You know the spiel. A park that has been hit a thousand times over the past 45 years. So it's tough to find many/any good signals to dig. It's a site that for the most part makes you reevaluate what is and isn't a good signal compared to other locations.
Anyhow I made it out yesterday, it was 39 degrees, breezy and cloudy. So not the most pleasant of hunting conditions but I've done a lot worse. I had detected for an hour or so and hadn't found much except for a couple pieces of clad, and then got a poor signal with a little squeak at the end. Figuring it was probably a piece of iron I decided to dig it anyhow since it didn't sound just like the rest of the stuff I had been coming across. Popped the plug and out came a square nail or at least a piece of iron. Covered it back up and swung the coil back over it and heard a much clearer signal. Popped the plug back out and there was piece of holed Spanish silver.
That made the day, things were quiet again until I got a good clear signal that ended being the Barber dime.
I may have to detect this place a bit more...
HH

Attachments

• 20180415_160321-1.jpg
    20180415_160321-1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 20180415_160348-1.jpg
    20180415_160348-1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 20180415_141005.jpg
    20180415_141005.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 20180415_151038.jpg
    20180415_151038.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Nice to find a pillars and globes real. Not nearly as common a find as the bust variety. Still looking for my first.

Sick. Absolutely sick. An east coaster just waltzes into "any old park", and finds a reale.

Well .... seeing as how he's from the east coast, we can't really give him an "atteboy". Since reales and LC's are a common as zinc pennies there. Tsk tsk.

Wow! Spanish Silver and a old Barber Dime. That's some very good hunting Gary. Congrats on the new machine, I'm very sure it will work wonders for you. Trapper

That is a great find in a park! BTW, what kind of screen cover do you have on your nox? It looks like it covers the buttons??

That is a great find in a park! BTW, what kind of screen cover do you have on your nox? It looks like it covers the buttons??

Thanks everyone. Except for Tom ;)

I use a ZAGG screen cover. Which is the same thing I did with the CTX for years covering the entire faceplate with one piece. I buy a Zagg cover for an older iPad and then cut it to size. It works fantastically, and when you peel it off, your screen and buttons will look brand new. I usually make a template and then work off that if I ever need to replace it. Which is hardly ever though since the material is so tough. This was my first attempt for the Equinox. If I do it over again, I will probably cut off the clear part of the screen protector and just leave the key. Although by that time I doubt I will need the key anymore anyhow so may just eliminate it entirely. I think leaving the stock one in place is why there's more separation around the edges then I would have if I had taken it off before putting on the Zagg. It doesn't affect what I need to see at all, but it just doesn't look as pretty.

Last edited:
Sick. Absolutely sick. An east coaster just waltzes into "any old park", and finds a reale.

Well .... seeing as how he's from the east coast, we can't really give him an "atteboy". Since reales and LC's are a common as zinc pennies there. Tsk tsk.

Did you Actually Waltz? probably not but an excellent visual (Thanks Tom)
However I am betting you had a Little Pep in your step on your way Out

WOW, congratulations on those finds!
It seems the Nox really does earn its keep in iron, where other detectors cannot.

A great hunt - congrats !

That's different - don't think I ever heard of Spanish Silver being dug in a park before - very cool !

Back
Top Bottom