Finally got back out today

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Had company for about the past week, had to tell her "sorry, crops are out...go home" :laughing:

Anyway, beans are out for the most part, and cotton is coming out.

I hit a homesite (gone, was on early 1950's map) that sat in what's now a bean field. Kind of an odd planting, only about 100' wide bean field, butting up to cotton on one side, and corn on the other (all same field). Luckily the house sat in the beans (MUCH less stubble).

Got out of the truck, and had to walk through a couple hundred feet of (picked) cotton to get to the bean field. Soon as I hit the (bean) field I was seeing red brick, pottery shards, and every color glass you could imagine. Good sign for sure, so my hopes were up :yes:

I started where the house actually sat, on the high spot in the field. It took me about 2 minutes to realize I'd forgot my 5.75" coil :roll:. I decided to hunt with what I had, and would swap coils in the AM, when I go back. TONS of iron, pretty much making the footprint of the house, and immediate area undetectable, but I did anyway :D

After about an hour, I finally dug my 1st coin....freakin' memorial :p Haven't got a date from it yet, but I'm sure it's an older one. Did end up with a '40 Wheatie, but those were the only 2 coins I'd dug. I'm getting the honest impression these share crop houses were folks who had no coins to lose. I know they were poor, but dang, loose half a dozen Wheaties would ya? :lol:

Best 2 finds of the day were a General Service Coat Button, and what I'm guessing was some sort of pin. Never seen one before. Both are about the size of a Quarter.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Rest of the "junk"

picture.php

picture.php

Don't give up, spend some time in there. The pin is from the Girl Scouts, you can see the "GS" at the top.

Did today, bad thing is, the people who lived in these houses didn't have anything ($) to lose. I thought the shape of it was Girl Scout, but didn't know they used the eagle too. Thanks!

That’s a lot of digging!!! Nice finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, you're telling me! I got pains in places I forgot I had :lol: Been much worse if I wasn't diggin' with a long shovel. Thanks!

Wow great relics, congrats!

Thanks!

Back today at sun-up, walking back out to the bean field I managed to drop my cell phone :roll: so the day started out good :lol: Fortunately it didn't take me long to find it....naturally it was almost at the truck.

Standing just inside the bean field at the spot the house stood, you can see it's a pretty good walk back to the truck, just beside the bins.

picture.php

While you can't see it because of the sun, the slight rise in the field is just to the left in the pic where the house stood. Was a nice morning to be out.

picture.php

Did about the same as yesterday, lots of junk, not much on the way of coins. Managed 2 Wheaties (too toasted for dates), and another Memorial ('51). Dug another Great Seal COat Button, along with a few other buttons and buckles.

picture.php

Not sure if there will clean-up enough to make-out the design.

picture.php

picture.php

Probably my best find for the day was a 10 cent token.

MR & CO. Reverse is blank. It was folded almost 90 degrees, which is why it's stressed down the middle.

picture.php

There were 5-6 buildings to the left of the bins, and an old road passed through the cotton field. I'm done in the bean field, and may try and fight hunting in the cotton next week. LOL, you think corn stubble's bad, try cotton.

After about an hour, I finally dug my 1st coin....freakin' memorial :p Haven't got a date from it yet, but I'm sure it's an older one. Did end up with a '40 Wheatie, but those were the only 2 coins I'd dug.

Don't that just chap your .......... !!
Did that at a homestead this fall. got out of the pickup and hit a perfect dime signal 6" down. Durned clad dime. hunted for an hr and finally got a penny signal. A memorial !!! I left.

Wow! Great pics and finds and write up! There had to have been a place a little bit away from the houses where they gambled or picniced or something...surely it wasnt all work back then?...those items depict a very hard life...like wreckage...sort of chilling...

That's a lot of digging. I'm guessing you're right about your sharecropper theory. Wouldn't have been a lot of spare change and if they lost a coin they probably spent time looking for it.

Don't that just chap your .......... !!
Did that at a homestead this fall. got out of the pickup and hit a perfect dime signal 6" down. Durned clad dime. hunted for an hr and finally got a penny signal. A memorial !!! I left.

I'll hunt a site for a day, maybe two, just to be sure I covered it well enough to be comfortable with walking away from it, and scratching it off the list. But yeah, it can be a bit of a let-down, for sure. Then again, my thoughts are any day I'm able to get up and get out to hunt, is a good day, the finds are just a bonus. :yes:

Wow! Great pics and finds and write up! There had to have been a place a little bit away from the houses where they gambled or picniced or something...surely it wasnt all work back then?...those items depict a very hard life...like wreckage...sort of chilling...

Thanks Mud! These folks couldn't afford to gamble what little they had. There may have been the rare occasion, but I think they kept track of what little money they had. I' just looking for that needle in the haystack. Plus, I have no idea how old these houses (shacks more likely) stood, only that they were on the early 50's map. Maybe I'll get lucky in the cotton field, as the bins actually sit on what was an intersection of the old roads, so maybe there was a bit more "action" in that area. I hope to find out next week.

That's a lot of digging. I'm guessing you're right about your sharecropper theory. Wouldn't have been a lot of spare change and if they lost a coin they probably spent time looking for it.

LOL, tell me about it :lol: No way I could have knelt to dig that much trash. The 1st day there, I found the 3 pennies and the button and GS badge all in the same 10x20 (roughly) area, so I was guessing it was possibly the clothesline area? SO I hit it hard the 2nd day with the modded Cibola and smaller coil, but the DeLeon had cleaned it out the day before. I also hit hard the area of debris (glass, pottery, plates, etc).

For sure, you can't lose what you don't have.

Back
Top Bottom