salt water soaked iphone 6 - what to do?

Bklein

Found a iPhone 6 submerged underwater at the beach. Don't know how long it had been there. The screen is cracked. The case was not a water protectant one at all. When I got home I submerged the phone in distilled water and worked it around for the heck of it, took it out and sat it in front of a fan for several hours. Then next day I sat it on the hood of my car to cook a bit - not a real hot day so it would be ok for it. Turned it over to get both sides. Plugged it in to the charger and no sign of life.
There are videos suggesting to take the phone apart and soak in isopropyl alcohol, dry, and stick in a bag of rice for a day or so. Ok I could try that but not sure of the motivation because its not my phone.
So what to do - just try and sell it on ebay with the above description? Or is there a reason to return it to the carrier (Verizon or whomever) and they'll give it back to the original owner?
Is there a legit way to even transfer ownership on something like this if it got back functional?
Now with the iPhone 7 improved design perhaps we will end up finding phones that will work. Still the question of ownership transfer comes up. By then the owner probably has another, so do we have a chance owning it or is it just best to ebay it? Does the carrier actually return it nonworking to the owner?

I have read some posts that claim that there is a company that will buy old phones for the gold contained in them. I have found a few phones but not sure if anyone would want them.

I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that phone will get to function. I have sold one on Ebay listing the damage exactly and "for parts only". Good luck.

Found a iPhone 6 submerged underwater at the beach. Don't know how long it had been there. The screen is cracked. The case was not a water protectant one at all. When I got home I submerged the phone in distilled water and worked it around for the heck of it, took it out and sat it in front of a fan for several hours. Then next day I sat it on the hood of my car to cook a bit - not a real hot day so it would be ok for it. Turned it over to get both sides. Plugged it in to the charger and no sign of life.
There are videos suggesting to take the phone apart and soak in isopropyl alcohol, dry, and stick in a bag of rice for a day or so. Ok I could try that but not sure of the motivation because its not my phone.
So what to do - just try and sell it on ebay with the above description? Or is there a reason to return it to the carrier (Verizon or whomever) and they'll give it back to the original owner?
Is there a legit way to even transfer ownership on something like this if it got back functional?
Now with the iPhone 7 improved design perhaps we will end up finding phones that will work. Still the question of ownership transfer comes up. By then the owner probably has another, so do we have a chance owning it or is it just best to ebay it? Does the carrier actually return it nonworking to the owner?

Get some tools to extract the tiny bits of gold on the circuit board :laughing:

I found one when they first came out. It did not power on, but the phone looked new. I was told the glass was worth money. To make a long story short I just wish I tossed it in the trash. Questions! Accusations! Not worth it.

gazelle .com will pay pretty good money even for busted up ones .will send you a free postage paid box. done business with them before no drama

Post on ebay

I have found about 10 phones on the beach wet and in the sand this summer. Post it on eBay for parts only, they bring from $5.00 to a high of $93.00. It was as good as finding silver rings for me.

Back
Top Bottom