• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dodged a falling tree and found some cellar hole silver...Video added

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
So yesterday I went on a hunt with forum member Anthony1207. First we hit an old tiny house that nobody lived in anymore. We each found a 1941 wheat and decided to move on. We then went to a local park where in the woods there was a cellar hole that has apparently been pounded to death. The metal detecting club I belong to apparently has 2 group hunts there too. Well I guess it wasn't too pounded out for the Etrac. For starters the people who lived here years ago must have always had their pants or suspenders falling off since I found 6 buckles. Ranging from 3" down all the way close to 12" down. There was a nearby bottle dump where I took the nice looking brown bottle. I was swinging near a large tree and right at the base of the tree and under a huge root I was getting a strong 12-39 signal. I was wondering if someone buried something here. Sure enough I think they did. Under the bottom of the root, I found the two harmonica reeds. I think it was the whole harmonica minus the wood that must have rotted away. So I decided to hunt in spots that looked like most others would shy away from. I got a real good sounding signal that was very bouncy. From 10-16 and 42-47. But it sounded real good from multiple directions and was 8" deep. So I dug and dug and out of the third or so pile of dirt I saw the silver rim. Used some water and wiped it off to see a 1916 Merc. Please oh please! I was saying to myself as I turned it over to see the "D" on the back. I was hoping for it since it was in such nice shape. Damn! No "D". Oh well my oldest Merc yet and the oldest made and in great condition. Now I know what you veteran Etrac guys mean by a real good sounding signal even though the numbers were way off. Dug 3 wheats there too, one a 1916 as well and the most mangled wheat I ever dug too. Also found the mason jar lid, a couple keys, the padlock and some shotshells. As Anthony and I were leaving Saturday when it was extremely windy, we heard a loud crack and then a monstrous thump. We turn around and not even 15 feet behind us a large, dead pine tree came crashing down sending splinters in every direction. That was a close one. The "Heads I win, Tails you lose" token was found the other day at lunch at a park. I don't get excited over tokens but that is the coolest one I found yet. I do have video as well but will have to edit it and add it later. Thanks for looking all and HH!!

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QkV5N9Tqq8

Attachments

• IMG_3577.jpg
    IMG_3577.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_3579.jpg
    IMG_3579.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_3580.jpg
    IMG_3580.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_3581.jpg
    IMG_3581.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_3582.jpg
    IMG_3582.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_3585.jpg
    IMG_3585.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_3584.jpg
    IMG_3584.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 719
  • IMG_3583.jpg
    IMG_3583.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 703
the is a interesting token haha we all know what tonys desktop is now hahah that merc is amazing nice job

Congradulations! That was a close one with the tree too. There is always a possibility for that in a woods. That's why we always need to be careful when we hunt in the woods. That Merc is in exceptional shape for a 1916. Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom