Fleur de Lis Buckle?

vjmelancon35

I'm hoping someone can help me ID this thingy--found on an old homestead in South Louisiana. I have found everything from beer cans to musket balls and a flat button nearby, so it could be from a wide range of eras.
556a4df781fe0bb08531413bcd90591a.jpg
cbc0adc5453e0cf2f3341510e4a2335c.jpg
350573f5bfa79adfa3c70358e9a5f9f5.jpg
e5e2cd4adcd5ee7965d19f8febc92619.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nice piece ..... what ever it is. :lol: To me it looks like a sash buckle of some sort. Also, judging by the patina, IMHO it pre-dates the Girl Scouts. I'd be pretty happy with that find. Congrats.

Nice piece ..... what ever it is. [emoji38] To me it looks like a sash buckle of some sort. Also, judging by the patina, IMHO it pre-dates the Girl Scouts. I'd be pretty happy with that find. Congrats.
Thanks! Based on the primitive way it's made, I agree--it's pretty darn old. The local University is doing an archeological dig around here to locate the first Acadian/Cajun settlement in Louisiana. I'm going to run it by them in case it helps their search.

Good idea with the university. I took an interest in your find because a few years ago I found half of a sash buckle too. (if you go to my profile under "threads started by Troller" ...Titled -A Little Help Here-), I have pictures of the one I found. I was told by a knowledgeable friend that " it's a sash buckle, pre-dates Civil War... possibly Rev. War and most likely military". And if I can find a match for the Fleur de Lis, it will tell me more about it. Also showed it to an archeologist doing a local dig at a home of a signer of Declaration of Independence. He said "without a doubt... 18th century" and to take it to Valley Forge or West Point military museums and they will ID it... which I haven't done yet. But if you look at the patina on your piece and compare it to the patina on mine, they look similar in age. And another dang Fleur de Lis. :lol: That's a real old buckle you found and it's nice because it looks complete. Good luck on getting a more positive ID on it and post what you find out. I'm still trying to find a match for my quite unique Fleur de Lis pattern. Man, if these things could talk what a story they could tell.

Good idea with the university. I took an interest in your find because a few years ago I found half of a sash buckle too. (if you go to my profile under "threads started by Troller" ...Titled -A Little Help Here-), I have pictures of the one I found. I was told by a knowledgeable friend that " it's a sash buckle, pre-dates Civil War... possibly Rev. War and most likely military". And if I can find a match for the Fleur de Lis, it will tell me more about it. Also showed it to an archeologist doing a local dig at a home of a signer of Declaration of Independence. He said "without a doubt... 18th century" and to take it to Valley Forge or West Point military museums and they will ID it... which I haven't done yet. But if you look at the patina on your piece and compare it to the patina on mine, they look similar in age. And another dang Fleur de Lis. [emoji38] That's a real old buckle you found and it's nice because it looks complete. Good luck on getting a more positive ID on it and post what you find out. I'm still trying to find a match for my quite unique Fleur de Lis pattern. Man, if these things could talk what a story they could tell.
That's really good information, thanks! I'll let you know if I find out anything more about either of these pieces. Happy digging!

Good idea with the university. I took an interest in your find because a few years ago I found half of a sash buckle too. (if you go to my profile under "threads started by Troller" ...Titled -A Little Help Here-), I have pictures of the one I found. I was told by a knowledgeable friend that " it's a sash buckle, pre-dates Civil War... possibly Rev. War and most likely military". And if I can find a match for the Fleur de Lis, it will tell me more about it. Also showed it to an archeologist doing a local dig at a home of a signer of Declaration of Independence. He said "without a doubt... 18th century" and to take it to Valley Forge or West Point military museums and they will ID it... which I haven't done yet. But if you look at the patina on your piece and compare it to the patina on mine, they look similar in age. And another dang Fleur de Lis. [emoji38] That's a real old buckle you found and it's nice because it looks complete. Good luck on getting a more positive ID on it and post what you find out. I'm still trying to find a match for my quite unique Fleur de Lis pattern. Man, if these things could talk what a story they could tell.
Yep, yours definitely has the same patina. I also suspect that mine is brass. I'm in the heart of French Louisiana so hopefully I can find an expert to take a look at both finds and give us some tips.

Back
Top Bottom