US buckle ... told maybe box plate.

esquire7oz

A guy who's yard I detect told me he found this years ago when he was working on his house, in the yard. He wants to know what it's worth and if I knew anybody that wants to buy it, like a collector or history buff. Any ideas on the value.
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waist belt plates and cartridge box plates were constructed of die struck rolled brass faces and filled with lead, the measurements of both vary depending on the buckle but can be the same as well.

So, The rust and position of the rust points (attachment points) is what makes that one look like a box plate. At least looks like rust to me.

B38BA111-FCD8-4591-81F1-9CC0F10696C4_zpsxkkh4iny.jpeg

I don't sell my finds but looking around at similar condition at retail relic shops they want about $100 for them with no attachments and some lead fill issues, that one is missing a lot of the lead so maybe $80 ?

If he sells it to a shop they will offer about half that.

I would google US Cartridge Box Plate and try to find one listed for sale in similar condition.

I don't sell my finds but looking around at similar condition at retail relic shops they want about $100 for them with no attachments and some lead fill issues, that one is missing a lot of the lead so maybe $80 ?

If he sells it to a shop they will offer about half that.

I would google US Cartridge Box Plate and try to find one listed for sale in similar condition.

Thank you for the info. I've never sold any finds either, he doesn't detect just happen to find it digging in his yard putting an addition on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom