Not so Friendly ?

KOB

Forum Supporter
I have 2 friends , Male and female. Both whom I have introduced into this hobby within the last year.
I hunt with each separately. Have taught each many of my tips , secrets , etc. But not all ! What bothers me the most is they can't keep their pie holes shut ! Whenever a stranger wants to talk to them , they inevitably tell them about everything they have found. Or they will say " I didn't find anything , but The KOB found a gold ring ". I hate it. I have told them each about 3 or 4 times to say , if anything " just a few coins , or just trash ". I don't say anything about my finds unless I REALLY know someone.

What has The KOB done wrong ? The guy talks more than the girl. Onetime , he was giving advice on detecting ( like an expert ) to a stranger as I walked by. This " friend " has yet to find his first piece of gold . I'm to the point where I no longer want to take them out hunting anymore. Or bring in any other newbies. Guess that's why I have hunted solo for some 35 years. Any help here guys on what I should do ?

That is when you pick out the popular beach everyone hunts. Then have a great 5 ring gold hunt there. Tell a couple white lies.Then when everyone floods the main beach, hit where you hunt alone.

I've NEVER hunted with anyone other than my girlfriend. When someone approaches and asks what I've/we've found I/we always say not much, just a few pennies or sometimes I/we say just some bottlecaps. That generally ends the conversation.

I've NEVER hunted with anyone other than my girlfriend. When someone approaches and asks what I've/we've found I/we always say not much, just a few pennies or sometimes I/we say just some bottlecaps. That generally ends the conversation.
That's pretty much what I say. Or "not much ". But these 2 friends just blab away. Maybe they are just excited. But literally every time ? I was just trying to give back and introduce 2 friends into the hobby. Maybe I made the mistake of showing them some epic gold over the last few years. I know they go and hunt on their own sometimes , because they think they know it all. Maybe it should be that way. Just to keep me out of the equation.

In the Treasure salvage business there is a saying that "Treasure is trouble".

Best of friends can become enemies overnight after treasure is found.

You are just seeing a smaller version of it. It's a study in human nature.

+1 what Robo said

With an addition : Loose Lips Sink Ships , there is a reason we have delayed posts of finds, never tell the acual location of finds, or when you go, most hunt alone , unless you have a girlfriend , wife , or kids with the same interest's, happy hunting.

In the Treasure salvage business there is a saying that "Treasure is trouble".

Best of friends can become enemies overnight after treasure is found.

You are just seeing a smaller version of it. It's a study in human nature.
Reminds me of one of my favorite movies - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Maybe they will get the hint when I don't invite them to hunt.
That's what I would do. I had a friend a few years back that got into detecting because of me. I would text him and leave him messages to go out on hunts and he wouldn't respond back. I don't ask him anymore.

I put my stuff on Facebook ..... so its out there. Hunter or just a curious person.... if my big mouth or photos gets someone in the hobby have i done wrong? Its not a competition to me..... its about having fun and enjoying the sun shine and meeting a few people. In fact i get a chuckle out of the new guys who see another hunter or two already in the water and are ready to pack it up and go home. Most of the time you talk to those guys and they havent found a thing...... soooo maybe its still here. Ive got enough confidence in my hunting to think ..... theres one someone missed. If not ...... i still had a good day. Me and Tim used to laugh when the other got a gold........ because we knew normally that was it for the day..... but we still spent hours looking. Yes you get less the more people who show up at YOUR SPOT after posting some gold......but trust me when i say...... im not going to make a living metal detecting any way.

Tell them the story of the MD'er who could not keep his mouth shut and lost a gold ring via "theft by cop". This guy kept showing and bragging about the gold wedding band he found right up to the moment a cop tapped him on the shoulder. Seems one of the people he showed and bragged to wanted to lay claim to the ring as well so told the cop that the ring belonged to them. It wasn't their ring but imagine the problems trying to explain that to a cop who already thinks the MD'er is a thief.

Only thing left to say is good luck hunting and drop them both... sooner or later they will out all your spots.. you should have dropped them the moment they repeated what you asked them not to say... they are not worth it... I trust very few because many are like these two... if you can't seem to want to do this then don't show them anything you find.

Interesting differences between cultures. Where I hunt the "doorknobs" carry rings and bracelets to show others what they find ... even if they brought them from mom's jewelry box . Anything to look cool and not lose face

You don’t sound like a friendly person. You actually sound like an egomaniac. You introduced a couple friends to the hobby, but you withheld your secrets to the hobby and because they are friendly to others you have decided to not invite them along anymore.

Who needs friends like you? My hunting buddies share all the intel we find. If i see a spot and I’m not able to search it. I’m texting by buddies letting them know.

When the curious approach I’m all hears and will ask about where they live and what’s the history of the house. I’ve hooked up several permissions this way.

That's ok.. you haven't been hunting long enough. Let's become buddies. We can go hunting together. Oh...and don't you worry... I won't tell anybody what we all found !
Will see how that works out for you. Lol

Only thing left to say is good luck hunting and drop them both... sooner or later they will out all your spots.. you should have dropped them the moment they repeated what you asked them not to say... they are not worth it... I trust very few because many are like these two... if you can't seem to want to do this then don't show them anything you find.

Yeah, not going to show them anything anymore. Was trying to recruit a new pirate crew. I think they pulled a mutiny !

Back
Top Bottom