Craigs List

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Ive always watched Craigs List to help people looking for their stuff. Last few years it seems more are using ring finder or other on line hunters/clubs. Just noticed recently ..... someone may have found a way to make a bit of profit over melt. Ive seen more FOUND adds. I assume they are either kind hearted, a new club member, or may be advertising the smaller bands hoping for a bigger return fee than they might get from melt. WHICH.... is a pretty good idea for gold that doesnt have a lot of weight. If the trend stops soon...... ill know BAD IDEA.:lol:

The thing with Craigslist is that it adds a bit more danger of being criminally victimized. Just this week we had a man shot and killed here for his big gold chain.

I will never advertise anything found on a beach. :pirates:

When people stop me and ask what I am hunting for I point to their rings. That is their warning. And I offer it free of charge with a little wisdom.....leave them at home. Actually I'm glad they don't listen.

It is my fee for picking up after slobs. Yeah I can justify that.

I will never advertise anything found on a beach. :pirates:

When people stop me and ask what I am hunting for I point to their rings. That is their warning. And I offer it free of charge with a little wisdom.....leave them at home. Actually I'm glad they don't listen.

It is my fee for picking up after slobs. Yeah I can justify that.

I get a lot of the ole..... what ya looking for questions too.... or what have you found. BUT..... i dont have to give much of a warning. I just look at people and they check their rings and big ole chains.:laughing: Picked up an ultra light class ring yesterday ill try to give back. Never know........ those tung, SS, and TI wedding bands might get ya $20 reward.... thats 20 Mac doubles.:lol:

.... I assume they are either kind hearted, a new club member, or may be advertising the smaller bands hoping for a bigger return fee than they might get from melt. ....

I have also seen "found" ads on CL. Some of which even say "... with metal detector ...". I never gave thought to the fact that they might be fishing for tips that exceed melt value.

I always just thought it was for-the-fun of the reunion-type-stories that we all love (and ... yes.... possible tips).

But I can't imagine it being worth the time for better profits. Because for starters: It's going to be rare indeed that someone who lost their ring is "scouting CL found ads". Unless it were a very recent drop. And also: There is no mandate that the person give you a tip in the first place. In fact, it's mandatory, under law, that you return it to them w/o any charge. They could say "give it to me", and you would have no choice than to turn it over.

In fact, it was actually even mandatory that they turn the ring into the police for proper lost & found law compliance , in the first place (which no md'rs ever bother to do).

The thing with Craigslist is that it adds a bit more danger of being criminally victimized. Just this week we had a man shot and killed here for his big gold chain.

There are old ladies in China that walk around wearing a couple ounces of gold. People here tend to not outright burglarize you but will instead try to outsmart you and make a profit that way.

I post "found" items on craigslist when it is an inscribed item that is tungsten or stainless or valueless. lol

I had someone tell they would take and post diamond ring lost at 43rd street, then just set back and see who showed. Since they lived in a condo right there it was a joke thing for him to watch.

I buy and sell on CL regularly. If Iā€™m selling anything of real value, I always meet the buyer at a ā€œneutralā€ location - Starbucks, local police station, you name it.

I also make it clear, if I am going to drive any distance that the price is Fixed - take it or leave it at that price. Saves some complications. I never agree to meet until I have had a phone conversation also. Helps me get a feel for whether it is worth it or not.

Also, I never respond to text messages about availability or anything else except to ask where they are located and making it clear that face-to-face is the only way I will deal.

vbvb bvvv,hop Craigslist if you want to test your luck. Too much crime for me involved with it and I would never ever trust a lost and found anywhere except from Clergy or the Police.

As for what I find anywhere, If you wanted it or valued it, Why would you toss it away or take it off?
Now I will make the woman on this list mad at me. If you are married and take your engagement ring or wedding band off, That tells me they do not value it and if I find it, You did not want it. I get a kick out of all the excuses of why the rings had to come off like going to the beach is life or death. Another thing is many woman like to feel like they are not married when with a group of woman. I am actually doing her husband a favor by finding the ring as she returns without it and maintains her beach non married look that SHE wanted and I bet not her husband.
My wedding band was placed on my finger by my Wife and never ever left and I have never ever seen her without her rings off for any reason.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

vbvb bvvv,hop Craigslist if you want to test your luck. Too much crime for me involved with it and I would never ever trust a lost and found anywhere except from Clergy or the Police.

As for what I find anywhere, If you wanted it or valued it, Why would you toss it away or take it off?
Now I will make the woman on this list mad at me. If you are married and take your engagement ring or wedding band off, That tells me they do not value it and if I find it, You did not want it. I get a kick out of all the excuses of why the rings had to come off like going to the beach is life or death. Another thing is many woman like to feel like they are not married when with a group of woman. I am actually doing her husband a favor by finding the ring as she returns without it and maintains her beach non married look that SHE wanted and I bet not her husband.
My wedding band was placed on my finger by my Wife and never ever left and I have never ever seen her without her rings off for any reason.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I never wear my ring because of safety where I work. Rather than taking it off every day and leaving it in a locker I just do not wear it all. Getting a ring snagged can strip all the meat off your finger right down to the bone. Also worth mentioning is that chemicals I work with will end up under rings leaving a burn. Rinsing hands never flushes under rings.Electricians, mechanics, and quite a few other occupations never wear rings either.

Most people at the beach never factor in suntan oil and cold water. LUCKY FOR US.

As I said above.....leave the rings at home or surrender them to the surf Gods or a a person with a detector.

If I am asked to look....which has only happened twice.....then I will certainly try to find it. One recovery out of two.

What did I find? ........They get to see the trash. Not even the clad.

Life is a beach!

I buy and sell on CL regularly. If Iā€™m selling anything of real value, I always meet the buyer at a ā€œneutralā€ location - Starbucks, local police station, you name it.

I also make it clear, if I am going to drive any distance that the price is Fixed - take it or leave it at that price. Saves some complications. I never agree to meet until I have had a phone conversation also. Helps me get a feel for whether it is worth it or not.

Also, I never respond to text messages about availability or anything else except to ask where they are located and making it clear that face-to-face is the only way I will deal.

I do the exactly same as you Rick and havnt had any trouble with CL transactions...Of course I weed out the trick-or-treaters with a technical conversation.....especially when I'm buying a car..I ask all sorts of questions and get a feel for the deal first before I go see for myself...

When a guy has lived long enough, he generally develops a keen nose regarding danger potential and/or bullcrappery..one whiff and I'm gone! :laughing:

Most of the responses I get are scams, but never local ones - always from far away.

Also, never respond to a text message asking you to prove YOU are not a scammer by texting back to some address including the ā€œcode numberā€ the scammer has sent you. That is a scheme whereby the scammer thereby has your mobile number in his new fictitious CL account so he can post scams on CL.

Dont need getting text messages from someone trying to buy something i done even have lol. Man.... i get enough phone calls now from people speaking chinese..... whats up with that?

Dew, I always watch and also have been finding it really strange of the number of people posting "found" stuff,,,,you may be on to something,,,,or it just may be someone trying to get people to hunt a certain beach,,,,,:?:
regardless,,I like you will help if I can but unless its something really sacred that ain't gold,,:laughing:if I find it on my own, I am not going out of my way to find the owner,,,,GL HH

No problems with Craigslist and weā€™ve done many deals, ā€˜course a pool ladder isnā€™t the same as 24kt jewelry.

We also use Facebook marketplace (wifeā€™s). I was horrified by Facebook in general and deleted my account as soon as I subscribed. I donā€™t get it.

If I find something good..I look for lost ads for the item. If there are none for a couple of weeks..I keep it sell it or hock it. I use a burner phone for CL so I don't get robo calls on my personal phone. Always sell locally and cash only in a public place...NEVER at my home.

I never wear my ring because of safety where I work. Rather than taking it off every day and leaving it in a locker I just do not wear it all. Getting a ring snagged can strip all the meat off your finger right down to the bone. Also worth mentioning is that chemicals I work with will end up under rings leaving a burn. Rinsing hands never flushes under rings.Electricians, mechanics, and quite a few other occupations never wear rings either.

Most people at the beach never factor in suntan oil and cold water. LUCKY FOR US.

As I said above.....leave the rings at home or surrender them to the surf Gods or a a person with a detector.

If I am asked to look....which has only happened twice.....then I will

Lock out Tag out! Stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom