Worst hunt EVER :( UPDATE: 5-29-19 WE FOUND IT!!! - Update 2: Next day - Platinum!

Kapi

Forum Supporter
SEE END OF THIS POST FOR THE UPDATE 1!!

See comments for Update 2!!

For me anyway. I was really looking forward to getting to any of the local crowded beaches Tuesday (today) after all the crowds left for Memorial day.

But alas, yesterday I was tagged in a Facebook post about a man that lost a gold and ruby family heirloom ring (his wedding ring that was his Grandfather's and then his father's and now his). He lost it at a pretty desolate part of the beach here so it should have been a super easy recovery.

Last night my friend Dick went because I was out of town but Dick could not find it. The guy even met him there and showed him about where it was lost, in the water. 1 foot waves, not too hard to look. Dick is great at grid searching but struck out day one.

I decided to cut my trip short to go help. I got there at 8:30 this morning and grid until 11:30 in oh I dunno, 100 and something degree, cook you til you're dead, weather.

Nothing, NADA, zilch! Not even one single target sound. Not even iron!
The beach is pretty hard packed so it should not have sunk too deep. Dick and I both grid searched and struck out on day two.

To top it all off, we didn't even get a thank you. LOL THAT just goes to show you how distraught the man was. I don't mind the "no thank you" too much because I understood his pain and "Thank you" was not on his mind when we gave him the bad news.

So to cheer myself up I went home and showered and put on a recent find of mine and I was happy again. :)

I didn't get to hit the crowded beaches today but perhaps I can get out tomorrow.

Here's a pic of that ring that I found weeks ago, that cheered me up, since you all like eye candy and not sorrow stories :):laughing:

14K, 20 diamonds, and it's size 9 1/2 and fits! oh and I found that crown one the same day too :)

UPDATE:

This morning I could not get this ring off my mind and how sad the man and woman were. I decided to contact the person that made the original Facebook post who said she was there when it happened in the water next to Andrew to see if she could help us narrow down where exactly she thought they were.

She stated she felt they were 100 feet north of the entrance on the beach. That is where we were looking but she went on to say that they usually sit close to the entrance because they drag a big wagon with all their stuff to the beach and it's heavy but she had to go further north than normal because of the small crowd there.

I immediately called Andrew and asked him if he was still at the condo on the beach and he said he was. I told him if he'd go look to see if the drag marks of the wagon were still in the dry sand area that I'd go look again if it was further north than he had told us. Sure enough it was! How that man found the 7 feet of wagon marks that were left (the rest was stepped on and destroyed by bikes and people) I'll never know! Turns out they were several hundred feet OFF on where they thought they sat.

I drove down to the beach and he showed me where the wagon marks were. Going on the assumption that this was the only wagon marks from the past week I set up a new grid area and called Dick to see if he'd meet me down there to try again. Reluctantly, as I was too, he agreed to meet me there after his doctor appointment! Dick is an incredibly talented water hunter so I left that to him and I concentrated on the entire massive wet sand area that I could cover much faster with my DFX and Bigfoot coil. Our beaches are incredibly WIDE. Dick got there and took his Excal into the water at the new search area.

During my entire search I heard 5 targets, sunglasses, a temple from sunglasses, one pull-tab, a penny and a quarter. Hey better than yesterday! :laughing:

I'd already been searching for about 3 to 4 hours and was beyond my physical limit when Dick arrived. I took another break and after about thirty minutes I started again in the wet sand. About 30 minutes after that Dick comes out of the water looking exhausted. Good actor, though I think he may have been pretty hot! The surf was picking up and he'd taken a beating for an hour. He looked at me and said "I'm done" I said "Me too!" and I took off my headphones and started towards the Jeep, asking Dick if he needed a ride back to his car. He says to me "No I'm done because I found it!" and he holds up the ring which is on his finger. I flipped out! WOOHOO!!! WHAT!??? WOW!!!!

So Andrew and his wife were downtown enjoying the last few tourist attractions before they had to get on a 6:00 flight back to Cincinnati. I grabbed my phone once we were at the Jeep and called. We'd never discussed a fee to look for the ring or a reward if we found it. Sometimes I forget to ask for one. (I really need to stop doing that LOL) but this recovery was the hardest I had EVER done because of the heat and lack of targets and the desire to be finding gold elsewhere at a more crowded location. Once I had Andrew on the phone I told him "Andrew, I'm sorry but we are done." Dejected he replied something like "Ok (big sad voice) Thank you for trying" I asked him "I'm just curious if you're offering a reward in the future if we do ever find it." To my surprise he said something like "You know, at this point it doesn't matter (Super sad voice) so no." So I said "Andrew No? Because we'd sure appreciate it when we hand you your ring back in a few minutes." Dramatic pause here, then he says "What did you just say?!" I said "We are done looking because we found it and we'd like to meet you to give it back to you." "To that I heard him repeat "You found it??" and then in the background I hear his wife flipping out with joy. And then he flips out with joy. I love doing recoveries. Priceless Experience!! So he says "How's $200.00??" I said "That sounds great!"

We met at the local pizza place half way between where he was and we were.
As you can see from the smiles, they were elated! She said he cried when I told him. AW :) Turns out they'd melted down the wife's father's watch and made matching wedding bands out of it. I had the story a tad wrong.

Needless to say, everyone was happy and I hope I never have a recovery that hard again. Good thing Dick and I are relentless! And a special thanks to Dick for coming back the third day!

Bottom line is they lost it much further north from the entrance then they thought they were. They thought maybe 100 feet, I'd say it was more like 700 to 800 feet or more!

So many things had to fall in place for this return to happen. I give the credit mostly to the girl that posted for him on Facebook and then the person that tagged me in the post. They are the heroes.

Ring return number 40 for me! 18K with 1/2 karat Ruby with numerous diamonds down both sides.

Attachments

• May 15 19 Two Gold Rings.jpg
    May 15 19 Two Gold Rings.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 985
  • Ring return 40 A.jpg
    Ring return 40 A.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 661
  • Ring return 40 B.jpg
    Ring return 40 B.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 650
  • Ring return 40 C.jpg
    Ring return 40 C.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 647
  • Ring return 40 D.jpg
    Ring return 40 D.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
100 degrees, count me out...

But I do like the eye candy!

It takes time to get over the one that "got away". You will probably visit that area a few more times. Reminds me of a couple. Maybe I'll visit mine in a couple of days. It was about 2 years go. Hmmm.

Ouch-kabibble! Two of the best gold hunters on the case even...Wow...makes a person wonder what some old Man was doing out on a desolate stretch of beach for precipitating the alleged loss?..Anyway...100 de gosh darn grees F on the beach or the sand is just plain life threatening!...I wouldnt go look for a lost aluminum lawn chair or a pop up tent or even a Webber Kettle! Not in those conditions! I dont care if its heirloom or not!

Nice other ones you showed us Kapi! :friends:

Remember

Unless your into recovery for cash like Scuba , it's not worth the time & trouble, if i am hunting & someone asked , i might give it a short spin , depending on the situation, otherwise to me it's a hobby with no stress, hot & humid , it's not an option, nobodies ring is worth a stroke from dehydration , if they want that ring bad enough, they can buy a detector , Barb it's all up to you, i know in that heat , i wouldn't be the hunter, nice eye candy , congrats , just take that experience with a grain of salt, & know better next time , happy hunting, Earl

It's in the guy's recliner...I'm tellin' ya! Kudos to you for trying. And major congrats on both of those rings; especially the massive gold, diamond paved sucker! Wow!

For me anyway. I was really looking forward to getting to any of the local crowded beaches Tuesday (today) after all the crowds left for Memorial day.

But alas, yesterday I was tagged in a Facebook post about a man that lost a gold and ruby family heirloom ring (his wedding ring that was his Grandfather's and then his father's and now his). He lost it at a pretty desolate part of the beach here so it should have been a super easy recovery.

Last night my friend Dick went because I was out of town but Dick could not find it. The guy even met him there and showed him about where it was lost, in the water. 1 foot waves, not too hard to look. Dick is great at grid searching but struck out day one.

I decided to cut my trip short to go help. I got there at 8:30 this morning and grid until 11:30 in oh I dunno, 100 and something degree, cook you til you're dead, weather.

Nothing, NADA, zilch! Not even one single target sound. Not even iron!
The beach is pretty hard packed so it should not have sunk too deep. Dick and I both grid searched and struck out on day two.

To top it all off, we didn't even get a thank you. LOL THAT just goes to show you how distraught the man was. I don't mind the "no thank you" too much because I understood his pain and "Thank you" was not on his mind when we gave him the bad news.

So to cheer myself up I went home and showered and put on a recent find of mine and I was happy again. :)

I didn't get to hit the crowded beaches today but perhaps I can get out tomorrow.

Here's a pic of that ring that I found weeks ago, that cheered me up, since you all like eye candy and not sorrow stories :):laughing:

14K, 20 diamonds, and it's size 9 1/2 and fits! oh and I found that crown one the same day too :)

Great Story Kapi... those happen. I recall searching for about 30 minutes for a ring that 3 people validated they "saw her wearing it and fiddling with it, just a bit ago." Her husband called and said it was on the nightstand beside the bed.

THREE PEOPLE all convinced themselves they'd seen her playing with the ring. Her house was 45 minutes away, and she'd been there for 4+ hours. TWO people were convinced she'd taken it off, and some THEIF had stolen it from the bathroom, though they didn't recall her seeing it, they knew it wasn't on her hand after the bathroom.

Point here, is that the ring probably didn't fall off where the guy said it did. You guys are AMAZING for going out and looking hard for it. Kudos to you!

And great rings you found, too. :O) they made me smile!

Skippy

:dingding: We've had phenomenal weather for a week. Nice scores you got!

Great Story Kapi...

Point here, is that the ring probably didn't fall off where the guy said it did. You guys are AMAZING for going out and looking hard for it. Kudos to you!

Skippy

Bad information on where it's lost is the most common problem. People think they know, they're only guessing.

Very generous of you to spend so much time hunting for the ring. Hope you score a big one next time out. :thumbsup:

Beautiful finds.

I once drove 3 hours to look for a lost ring. The woman never left her house, no offer of a glass of water, use of bathroom, etc. she had told me the ring was in a bed of fern so should be easy to search. The plants were actually called cast iron plants AND FOR A REASON. Nearly impossible to search and the 3 acres were full of it. 3 hours to arrive, I gave it 6 hours of searching and 3 hours home. No offer of gas money (which I would have refused), no thank you. No goodbye.

I feel the pain.

That's ridiculous I understand the man was distraught but still a thank you was well deserved after cutting your trip short and detecting in the heat. I will give you your much deserved THANK YOU! Karma is always working though. Sweet rings!

I had one find that when I handed the man his ring he turned his back to me and cried. He was Very thankful to get his ring back.

Had one couple ask me to find her ring and when I handed it to her she said a half hearted thanks and walked away

I notice that on Lost my Stuff web site that a tremendous amount of the lost items are found by the person who misplaced them.

I wonder if the gentleman left the ring at home or in a motel room and only discovered ther ring missing while on the beach.

Too bad you guys couldn't find the guys ring. Maybe another day. I do like the rings posted though.

Thanks! and yes, another day! The next day! :)
Check out the update: We went back and found it!

100 degrees, count me out...

But I do like the eye candy!

Thanks OBN! Sure was HOT HOT HOT!

It takes time to get over the one that "got away". You will probably visit that area a few more times. Reminds me of a couple. Maybe I'll visit mine in a couple of days. It was about 2 years go. Hmmm.

For sure! In fact we went back the next day. You should go check on that other one :)

Ouch-kabibble! Two of the best gold hunters on the case even...Wow...makes a person wonder what some old Man was doing out on a desolate stretch of beach for precipitating the alleged loss?..Anyway...100 de gosh darn grees F on the beach or the sand is just plain life threatening!...I wouldnt go look for a lost aluminum lawn chair or a pop up tent or even a Webber Kettle! Not in those conditions! I dont care if its heirloom or not!

Nice other ones you showed us Kapi! :friends:

Aw thanks for the kind words my friend! It wasn't super desolate, just not anywhere near as crowded as some of the other spots. Say 50 people there instead of 2500. LOL

Unless your into recovery for cash like Scuba , it's not worth the time & trouble, if i am hunting & someone asked , i might give it a short spin , depending on the situation, otherwise to me it's a hobby with no stress, hot & humid , it's not an option, nobodies ring is worth a stroke from dehydration , if they want that ring bad enough, they can buy a detector , Barb it's all up to you, i know in that heat , i wouldn't be the hunter, nice eye candy , congrats , just take that experience with a grain of salt, & know better next time , happy hunting, Earl

I guess it stuck with me when my mom lost her engagement ring when I was 10 and how sad she was that I really want to help people find their stuff, fee or not though fee is better! :)

It's in the guy's recliner...I'm tellin' ya! Kudos to you for trying. And major congrats on both of those rings; especially the massive gold, diamond paved sucker! Wow!

LOL Sometimes that's so true! Thanks for the compliment on the ones I found.

Great Story Kapi... those happen. I recall searching for about 30 minutes for a ring that 3 people validated they "saw her wearing it and fiddling with it, just a bit ago." Her husband called and said it was on the nightstand beside the bed.

THREE PEOPLE all convinced themselves they'd seen her playing with the ring. Her house was 45 minutes away, and she'd been there for 4+ hours. TWO people were convinced she'd taken it off, and some THEIF had stolen it from the bathroom, though they didn't recall her seeing it, they knew it wasn't on her hand after the bathroom.

Skippy

So true! I've had similar experiences! Thanks for the comments on the rings I found too :)

I have never found anything someone asked me to search......yet.
Maybe it was already found or....sunk deep?

This is my 40th ring return. I didn't think there was a chance in heck that anyone else found it because it's a spot that draws about 50 people and there's tons of places here that draw 1,000's. Nobody that detects would have picked that spot to detect if they were sane :) Plus it was in the water and we have almost no water hunters here. We thought maybe it sunk too deep or we were off a bit in where to search.

:dingding: We've had phenomenal weather for a week. Nice scores you got!

Thanks Felix! HOT HOT HOT here, set a record 2 days ago.

Bad information on where it's lost is the most common problem. People think they know, they're only guessing.

YEP!!

Very generous of you to spend so much time hunting for the ring. Hope you score a big one next time out. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Beautiful finds.

I once drove 3 hours to look for a lost ring. The woman never left her house, no offer of a glass of water, use of bathroom, etc. she had told me the ring was in a bed of fern so should be easy to search. The plants were actually called cast iron plants AND FOR A REASON. Nearly impossible to search and the 3 acres were full of it. 3 hours to arrive, I gave it 6 hours of searching and 3 hours home. No offer of gas money (which I would have refused), no thank you. No goodbye.

I feel the pain.

WOW! Man that's rough!

That's ridiculous I understand the man was distraught but still a thank you was well deserved after cutting your trip short and detecting in the heat. I will give you your much deserved THANK YOU! Karma is always working though. Sweet rings!

He did say thanks to me on the beach but not to Dick. Today though he thanked us both, both before we found it and after.

I had one find that when I handed the man his ring he turned his back to me and cried. He was Very thankful to get his ring back.

Had one couple ask me to find her ring and when I handed it to her she said a half hearted thanks and walked away

I notice that on Lost my Stuff web site that a tremendous amount of the lost items are found by the person who misplaced them.

I wonder if the gentleman left the ring at home or in a motel room and only discovered ther ring missing while on the beach.

So true, I've had similar experiences.

Back
Top Bottom