Seismic Shift........

Coin Operated

Looking over the forums the last few days there seems to be a slow but perceptible shift among some (not all) in attitude about the Eq. It has gone from "gonna be better than the Etrac and CTX" to "yeah it doesn't do this very well and I don't like that, but look how cheap it is and it's waterproof, and lightweight, and salt water, etc." Not to say there are not positive comments as well, there certainly are. But there is a slowly increasing undercurrent of reality.

This is just beginning and is certainly not universal yet, and may never be, but it will be interesting to watch. Actually I suppose it's normal with any over-hyped new product that's not widely available yet but I've never noticed it before. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention before. :hide:

Some people are deeply invested in the idea that the Equinox isn't just 3-5% better (which is great, good enough in itself), that instead it's an incomparable new phenomenon that has "nuked" and made our machines "obsolete".

People who are that convinced are also utterly convinced of their own impartiality and the scientific value of their unscientific methods. I don't buy it. There's no reason to be that apoplectic about convincing everyone, instantly. What is the real motivation here?

And on every thread where doubt is expressed, someone jumps in to reiterate the same anecdotal evidence that we read in hundreds and hundreds of other posts, and not just on this forum... on other major forums as well.

And now it's going to happen to this thread as well. Just watch, it'll happen. It's becoming a nox-colored world...

It's a great machine. It's a little better than some others. Be excited about it if you want. But is it okay if a few people quietly confer on one tiny thread that they're suspicious of the high pressure hype? Can they have a place where they're not evangelized? A place where they can express their enjoyment of and confidence in their tried and tested machines, without being force-fed the "nox is better" indoctrination?

If C O

Could get his hand's on a Nox, he would sell his Deus , use the Equinox
for a switch up from the CTX3030 , i like mine just for the change of pace swinging a lighter machine :yes::lol:

Last edited:
Looking over the forums the last few days there seems to be a slow but perceptible shift among some (not all) in attitude about the Eq. It has gone from "gonna be better than the Etrac and CTX" to "yeah it doesn't do this very well and I don't like that, but look how cheap it is and it's waterproof, and lightweight, and salt water, etc." Not to say there are not positive comments as well, there certainly are. But there is a slowly increasing undercurrent of reality.

This is just beginning and is certainly not universal yet, and may never be, but it will be interesting to watch. Actually I suppose it's normal with any over-hyped new product that's not widely available yet but I've never noticed it before. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention before. :hide:

I haven't seen that shift either. Maybe by the few folks who haven't used the Nox yet who will always defend what they already have as the best machine ever. But it sure seems to me that the comments by those who are actually using it have been by far positive.

I know, I sure didn't expect it to be even close to the hype, but I'd stay out of the Negative Nellie camp for right now. Seems like it's closer to the hype than any other machine we've seen lately.

Some people are deeply invested in the idea that the Equinox isn't just 3-5% better (which is great, good enough in itself), that instead it's an incomparable new phenomenon that has "nuked" and made our machines "obsolete".

People who are that convinced are also utterly convinced of their own impartiality and the scientific value of their unscientific methods. I don't buy it. There's no reason to be that apoplectic about convincing everyone, instantly. What is the real motivation here?

And on every thread where doubt is expressed, someone jumps in to reiterate the same anecdotal evidence that we read in hundreds and hundreds of other posts, and not just on this forum... on other major forums as well.

And now it's going to happen to this thread as well. Just watch, it'll happen. It's becoming a nox-colored world...

It's a great machine. It's a little better than some others. Be excited about it if you want. But is it okay if a few people quietly confer on one tiny thread that they're suspicious of the high pressure hype? Can they have a place where they're not evangelized? A place where they can express their enjoyment of and confidence in their tried and tested machines, without being force-fed the "nox is better" indoctrination?

Why are you people so butt hurt by this machine? If it's going to fail, why don't you just sit back and wait for it to fail. I don't get it. I have no dog in this fight, it seems to me like a lot of really insecure folks need to knock this machine they've never even touched.

And there you go. Thread over. You proved the point exactly, right on cue, in record time.

And you didn't really read carefully... nobody said the glorious nox would fail. I didn't say it. You reacted to something in your imagination. I was remarking on the people who have to monopolize every conversation. There are so many threads you can join to enjoy talking about the nox. Are you so insecure that this one thread, this one tiny expression of dissent, is so threatening to you?

Nobody's "butt hurt" - what is this, a playground? Do adults really talk that way? Equally, why don't "you people" sit back and let others express themselves without your intrusive scolding?

And there you go. Thread over. You proved the point exactly, right on cue, in record time.

And you didn't really read carefully... nobody said the glorious nox would fail. I didn't say it. You reacted to something in your imagination. I was remarking on the people who have to monopolize every conversation. There are so many threads you can join to enjoy talking about the nox. Are you so insecure that this one thread, this one tiny expression of dissent, is so threatening to you?

Nobody's "butt hurt" - what is this, a playground? Do adults really talk that way? Equally, why don't "you people" sit back and let others express themselves without your intrusive scolding?

Are you even listening to yourself? Talk about proving the point.

Why are you people so butt hurt by this machine? If it's going to fail, why don't you just sit back and wait for it to fail. I don't get it. I have no dog in this fight, it seems to me like a lot of really insecure folks need to knock this machine they've never even touched.

I only ever looked at thread because of the TItle had no idea it even involved a NOx. I saw where someone below wants a place to talk about their tried and true machines? Well title your thread like " machine " did this? or "MY machine" was able to do this? If you want to discuss what your tried and true machine can do then by all means lets hear it! I have some dislikes as well about the NOX and have talked about some of them. But so far i still have not changed my thoughts on what the NOX will do to the market in the near future.

How bout this ..... "So far what are the dislikes of the NOX" of course there are going to be a few things some of us do not like. Is there a SEISMIC SHIFT IN HOW PEEPS FEEL I have not seen any indication of that so far. In fact i now have 2 Nox. I might just post one for sale to find out if there is a SEISMIC shift?

Another fine example of what happens if you think, type or speak rationally. It's really sad, in post #9 within a couple inches of each other you can see your "It's a great machine" comment, clear as day, right above "Why are you people so butt-hurt by this machine?". From someone with no dog in the fight. So it's just the "me too" setting in.

Now that a larger number of people are getting the machine, it takes 2 "Nox" to be special, so that's happening now...

You see a lot of "If you could get one" type comments still going around. The old Apple "manufactured exclusivity". Build demand, limit first run production to create a bigger hype than what was there to start with, flood the market to the point of saturation, rinse and repeat with the next incremental improvement...Oh Minelab...

Hope everyone has great luck and huge fun swinging whatever coil they like to swing and don't worry, it'll all settle and there will be other things to read and post about soon enough. Until the next "Newest and best" product pops up and it will be the same old Spam fest for a while again....:p

I think it's a bit early to say the machine didn't live up to the hype. I also think it is too early to declare the Nox the best detector on the market or in its price range. Everyone judging it one way or the other should pump the brakes and give it a year or so to see how it all pans out. I think it will fall somewhere in the middle in when the dust settles and everyone has put the machine through its paces. That is just my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think it's a bit early to say the machine didn't live up to the hype. I also think it is too early to declare the Nox the best detector on the market or in its price range. Everyone judging it one way or the other should pump the brakes and give it a year or so to see how it all pans out. I think it will fall somewhere in the middle in when the dust settles and everyone has put the machine through its paces. That is just my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wise words.

As mainly a beach hunter (Due to circumstance more than anything) I like the 800 for a few reasons. It's quieter in the surf (Compared to my Nokta Impact), it's lighter, ID is ok apart from it doesn't 'grunt' on bottle tops like my AT Pro but switching to all metal temporarily seems to take care of that blah blah blah..

I want to enjoy my hunting and my machine allows me to do that, at the end of the day I will use whatever machine that gets the job done with the minimum amount of fuss regardless of brand, country of origin or technology used.
If I get a chance to hunt a real trashy old homestead would I use it, no, I'd bust out my AT Pro with a small coil because I know that machine pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom