My first 'police' badge

SalemScott

Forum Supporter
After our recent nor'easter I was hoping my beach would be back to it's past ways of giving up large silvers and some gold. I went out last night in single digit temps hoping to fill my pouches with precious metals but it wasn't meant to be. The storm had little affect on the overall amount of sand and I spent the night wandering around finding nothing special. Just before leaving I slipped on the frozen sand and went down HARD, landing right on my right shoulder. I hobbled the long distance back to the car, dragging my detector and shovel behind me, feeling pretty dejected.

I almost skipped today due to waking up with a sore shoulder but heck, I'm a detecting addict so back to my beach I went. It was in the low twenties but very windy. After wandering around a bit more I noticed a slight low spot on a section I usually avoid due to trashiness. I spent the last hour or so of my hunt hitting signal after signal, most targets being older items. I ended up with 5 silvers on the night as well as a bunch of wheats, which this spot always gives up easily. I got this interesting 'bible', the blue part is glass. It fell apart when I opened it and it was just full of sand. Any idea what it's for? I was hoping it was gold but I don't think it is. One of my last finds was my first badge which says 'Special Police'. What are 'Special Police'? Is it a toy? It's pretty well made. After the night I had last night, tonight was a welcome change.:yes:

Tonight's soundtrack, Puscifer...Conditions of my parole. (Sorry, I had to use the Letterman version to keep it family friendly):p

P1040001.JPG

P1040005.JPG

P1040002.JPG

J-FmuZ5DpgZtKof7sLN8Sib3MYki8wjPAD6mgTOKA2s=w878-h584-no

5WgU4ck3CMUDn_QYk9GHl-zlxcVAeulp6eYMDii6SdU=w759-h747-no

Neat finds! That badge looks like the tin toy badges. Cant seem to find anything on the bible yet but still looking.

Nice catch on the badge, I have seen a few go for Big bucks if it is for real.

I love that RR baggage tag a lot better than the badge. You found a good spot with the old silvers.

Sorry about your sholder and glad you could get back out. Aren't you suposed to put it on ice AFTER it hurts and not before? LOL Anyway you found a good spot.

You guys are just plain tough hunting in weather like that! I grew up in OH, but I guess 30+ years in FL has made me soft! Very interesting old finds...that glass item is an antique rosary box.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 433
Nice finds Scott! I found a police badge "down the street" earlier this year but mine wasn't as old as yours and it said "Lynn Police" on it :)
I'm heading out this am after I write this. I hope I have something to post later. It's going to be balmy today in the 20's :laughing:

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 446
Cool finds! We can't catch a break:no: First we had to worry about the dream police. Now we got the special police to worry about:?::lol:

"They're driving me insane!......Those special police inside my brain!":laughing:

The badge is from the USLP, or United States Lama Patrol. It's a secret organization which makes the badge not only rare but you are putting your life in danger by even possessing it agent S! You see, the USLP is comprised of a band of short, unruly, Basstords that take their job of not losing things very seriously. So serious in fact that there has NEVER, and I repeat NEVER been a Lama lost since it's inception into the forgotten state of Etsy in the 1960's. These lil Basstords do NOT like to lose anything for that matter, it's in their DNA. I would imagine one of them is looking for it right now, and if they find you with it they will either make you drink turpentine and pee on a brush fire or take you to their leader, the head Basstord in charge, Barrack Obama. God help your soul then! :lol: http://www.etsy.com/listing/22152434/1960s-toy-tin-special-police-badge-hong
Good job on the goods buddy! :D

Yea, it is a kids badge. The eagles head is broken off. Cool find. The real treasure is the rosary book. The back should be glass. The cover might just be gold. It sure looks good. Acid test it. Everyone should have an acid kit. Cheap enough to buy. If it is gold then the book is probably worth more as a find then melting the cover. Take it to Antiques Roadshow. You might have something good! :lol:

Yea, it is a kids badge. The eagles head is broken off. Cool find. The real treasure is the rosary book. The back should be glass. The cover might just be gold. It sure looks good. Acid test it. Everyone should have an acid kit. Cheap enough to buy. If it is gold then the book is probably worth more as a find then melting the cover. Take it to Antiques Roadshow. You might have something good! :lol:

Oh good, I finally have a reason to use my test kit. It doesn't feel very heavy but who knows. I'll give it a test in a while. Thanks.

Nice finds Scott! I found a police badge "down the street" earlier this year but mine wasn't as old as yours and it said "Lynn Police" on it :)
I'm heading out this am after I write this. I hope I have something to post later. It's going to be balmy today in the 20's :laughing:
Nice badge Roger. Why the blue tape? City? Good luck today.

I love that RR baggage tag a lot better than the badge. You found a good spot with the old silvers.

Sorry about your sholder and glad you could get back out. Aren't you suposed to put it on ice AFTER it hurts and not before? LOL Anyway you found a good spot.
Yeah, I was pretty happy to see that tag, much nicer than previous ones I've found.

The badge is from the USLP, or United States Lama Patrol. It's a secret organization which makes the badge not only rare but you are putting your life in danger by even possessing it agent S! You see, the USLP is comprised of a band of short, unruly, Basstords that take their job of not losing things very seriously. So serious in fact that there has NEVER, and I repeat NEVER been a Lama lost since it's inception into the forgotten state of Etsy in the 1960's. These lil Basstords do NOT like to lose anything for that matter, it's in their DNA. I would imagine one of them is looking for it right now, and if they find you with it they will either make you drink turpentine and pee on a brush fire or take you to their leader, the head Basstord in charge, Barrack Obama. God help your soul then! :lol: http://www.etsy.com/listing/22152434/1960s-toy-tin-special-police-badge-hong
:laughing: Funny stuff.

So I pulled out the test kit and at first just used the 22k solution to see if it would dissolve it at all. To my surprise it immediately dissolved it.:shock: I then pulled out the whole kit and the results are in the picture below. What's your thoughts? From left to right, 10k, 14k, 18k, 22k. I also included a blurry pic of the part I scraped on the stone. It seems to me there may be hope but it just doesn't feel right. It's too light to be gold...I think.:?:

P.s. I'm not nearly as fat as the reflection makes me look.:laughing: Turns out droplet reflections are like fun house mirrors.;)

1.JPG

3.JPG

The one clearwaterwike posted looks like it may be silver so it may very well be gold. How big is that thing?
1 1/8" X 1 3/8". It's hard to believe there would be room for a rosary inside this thing it's so small.

like the sound track, very appropriate with the badge,,,,man I don't know how you guys can get our and hunt in those freezing temps and wind,,,,call me a whimp or a Florida cracker I guess,,,,GL HH

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Scott...

The religious item is brass... Greg thinks everything yellow is gold...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom