Substitute for Carbon Fiber straight shaft for $10.

CanSlaw

Elite Member
This straight shaft was made by my hunting partner for his BIL's new Sea Hunter when it arrived and he didn't have any aluminum tubing to make a straight shaft. He did have a hollow, spun fiberglass fishing pole from Walmart sitting in the corner of his garage. http://www.walmart.com/ip/B-n-M-13-Black-Widow-Crappie-Rig/15908258 Make sure it is the 13 foot model.

This straight shaft has been used 2-3 hunts per week and is now one year old and still going strong. It is inexpensive and easy to make.

Use whatever section of pole fits your lower shaft, or remove just the coil connection end from your lower shaft and use all fishing pole sections for the shaft, that's what they did gluing the end with gorilla glue. The fishing pole sections come apart by bending, twisting and pulling. They adjusted then taped two sections together with red electrical tape (it matches) and used no bolts for the lower sections, again cheap and fast. They were going hunting in the morning. A year later, it's still working and the owner likes it just the way it is.

He slid a piece of 1/2 inch PVC inside the fiberglass tubing just long enough for the handle grip and arm cuff to bolt to for added strength. The arm cuff is a 3 inch PVC coupling spray painted black. The handle is a Bell bicycle handle bar extension, 2 for $6.00 also at Walmart This shaft is light weight, strong as anyone will need for a straight shaft, yes he leans on it to dig, and easy to make. This makes a heck of a carbon fiber type shaft at a very low price.

Hope others can use the idea. I think OBN made a shaft to try this idea, hopefully he can share the outcome.

Attachments

• DSC01306.JPG
    DSC01306.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,354
  • 2013-01-21_08-26-49_196 (800x451).jpg
    2013-01-21_08-26-49_196 (800x451).jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 2,235
  • 2013-01-21_08-36-58_229 (800x451).jpg
    2013-01-21_08-36-58_229 (800x451).jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,715
Very Creative

It amazes me how creative people are with these inexpensive (as opposed to cheap) solutions. My SHII has a little wobble in the factory shaft that has always bothered me. I might need to try something like this. Thanks for sharing.

Good Post Canslaw, And thank you for the idea. I did go out and get one, it is strong and Light in weight. I do think it will work for me if I use the 8 inch coil, along with the excalibur. I mocked everything up and the only issue I had was the bike end was a little tight getting in the correct place, but it got to where I wanted it. I'm finishing up my house this week and cjc's detector so I hope to have the CF fishing pole finished up in a few weeks. One thing I do like about it, I can finally use those ML diving lower shafts....the length is 44 inchs, then the dive shaft rod end is 11, so you will be able to adjust with maybe two settings in length.

OBN, GREAT idea on using the dive shaft lower rods...I never thought of that and a good way to use the one(s) I have laying around somewhere. I love it when another good idea comes on-board...thanks!

I need to find another detector so I can make another straight shaft :lol: Darn CZ 21 already came with a straight shaft. :grin:

Awesome project! I know it sounds odd. But our Wallyworlds never carry the bike handlebar extensions. I have to buy mine at Champion bicycle local.

Awesome project! I know it sounds odd. But our Wallyworlds never carry the bike handlebar extensions. I have to buy mine at Champion bicycle local.

I went to 3 Walmarts before I found them, now the store closest to my house is also carrying them. Two for $6.00 and the size is perfect.

CS, I'm thinking the dive shaft maybe the only one that can be used. Not sure have to check, since the CF Rig is tappered. She is plenty long with the little shaft

Attachments

• OBN0057.jpg
    OBN0057.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,529
Joe, On some lower shafts you can work just the coil bracket off of the lower shaft then use that on the fishing pole section and re-glue it in doing way with a lower shaft completely.

They made that shaft for a Sea Hunter and I am trying to find my SH lower shaft to see if it comes apart. I know the Excal rods do. If doing it that way, you can use 2 sections of the fishing pole, adjust it to where you like it, then tape the two section together in that possession.

I've used one of those telescopic fiber glass cane pole you have many pieces to chose from. Also if you know of and old boat Bimini top the aluminum works great for straight shafts. I've made many. The top sections 28" for shorter guys and 36" for taller the Excal lower fits perfectly into it.

Humm you could use that 1/2 piece of PVC as an extension for the pods behind the cuff since the cuff bolts go thru it. It could give you some adjustment to really the the balance right..... i like it. Like Joe said thou it might have to much flex for a 10" coil.... i put a lot of pressure on mine pushing it thru the water.

Dew

Humm you could use that 1/2 piece of PVC as an extension for the pods behind the cuff since the cuff bolts go thru it. It could give you some adjustment to really the the balance right..... i like it. Like Joe said thou it might have to much flex for a 10" coil.... i put a lot of pressure on mine pushing it thru the water.

Dew

The owner of this shaft is using a 10x14 Garrett SH coil. I have swung this setup, there is no flex at all. For less that $10. nobody will go broke if they want to try a super lightweight shaft.

I am going to put one together for my for my 10 inch Excal, I'll let you know if there is any flex.

Let me know how that goes. Like i said .... i can see having the ability to add or subtract length with a piece of PVC as an advantage. Just slide it in or out. It would give strength where its needed.... cuff and handle area while still being light.

Dew

Houston i had a friggen HUGE problem here with that dad burn handle. Once i stretched it to get up to where it needed to be the screw wouldnt match the hole/threads. That fat end is to large for a the bicycle handle it appears. Perhaps if you cut that larger threaded end off and come from that away. Otherwise it aint happening for mine..... give me the trick you used??

Dew

Houston i had a friggen HUGE problem

:laughing: Dew your funny

I pryed open the gap on the bar end, had to remove the brass fitting on the rig, and the bolt from the bar end but got it in place, when I tightened it up, the CF shaft started to crack, so I stopped...it's tight. I do think I can use the little 8 with no problem

Could be the differene in bar end grips.

The trick would be to make your own carbon fiber handle, just like working with fiber glass, wear rubber gloves....

Back
Top Bottom