Two beach trips, two rings

ne_seeker

After seeing many interesting jewelry finds that come from the beach, I recently purchased a Headhunter Wader to go along with my MXT. I found that it can keep me occupied while my wife enjoys the sun, sand, and a good book.

A week ago I found the Sterling ring (on the left) in the photo below. I was using the Wader at the edge of the surf, and digging about anything that beeped.

Today I returned to the same beach with both detectors. I worked the wet sand for a while with the Wader, then decided to try the MXT in the dry sand. I came home with the ring on the right.

At the time, I was working an area of nice loose sand and was getting lots of shallow foil hits. As I located each target, I would move sand away with my foot, grab the foil, and throw it in my pouch. I just knew that sooner or later one of the foil hits would be gold!

Today's ring was shallow and VDI'd as a solid 8 on the MXT. It appears to be gold, but I can't read the mark even under magnification. There are 5 very small diamonds, one at the center of the heart and two on each side of it. I'm hoping this will count as my first gold ring.

I can see how jewelry hunting can be fun, I'll just keep trying until I start finding the big ones.

Attachments

• beach-rings.jpg
    beach-rings.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 299
those are 2 pretty rings, sounds like you are doing ok at the beach. I have dug many gold items that sound like foil and such junk, Steve in so az

Hi NE

Congrats on the rings....finding them is worst than crack in that once you have the feeling you will be a detecting addict as I am. I find that I have been fooled often by "the gold sound" by one particular thing.....Sunglasses. I have about 14 pairs in 3 weeks hanging on a shelf in my garage. Last week I was at a hunt in Daytona and I hit a beautiful round low gold sound (on minelab excal). I thought, "this is the signal I have been waiting for". I scooped up another pair of $%&# sunglasses. I did feel better when I took another look because they were Prada sunglasses. I also got a pair of Oakleys on Saturday. Same sound. Thus it seems that some sunglasses and also the foil inserts that line bottle tops can give that nice round low sound. But then again half the fun is savoring the dig.

Best of luck and congratulations again on the rings!

PS...How do you like your wader? I have a Headhunter Diver and I have only used it once because I tend to go with either my Excal of Sov GT.

Hi NE
PS...How do you like your wader? I have a Headhunter Diver and I have only used it once because I tend to go with either my Excal of Sov GT.

I like the Wader so far, it does the job I hoped it would. My MXT is noisey in the wet salt water sand, the Wader does fine there and in shallow water. It also does fine for me on depth. I'm still getting used to it and as I use it more I am becoming more confident in recognizing the sounds of deeper targets.

I took it on vacation and it was easy to pack for airline travel.

I am mostly a "land hunter" with the MXT, but the Wader serves as another tool that I can use to add variety to my hunts, plus I use it on rainy days.

Back
Top Bottom