Can’t use my CTX in the saltwater?

Boondocks

Apparently not, because it is impossible to hear with waterproof headphones. I have tried the Gray Ghost Amphibians and the actual Minelab waterproof ones (legit Koss from Kellyco). I had the volume all the way up on the GG’s, I have the volume all the way up on the machine to 30 and even set the Volume gain to 30 (which I’m not thrilled about). I can hear everything well enough in my backyard but as soon as I hit the beach and there is ANY surf noise or chatter from people on the beach, I may as well be deaf. I can’t believe that a $2500 machine is rendered inoperable based on the lack of availability of headphones. I use my Excalibur in the water with the same Koss Minelab headphones and it blows my ears out. Someone PLEASE teach me a trick for the CTX or suggest a pair of waterproof headphones that aren’t volume set for detecting around a Monastery (make sure the headphones are still available please) . Thank you very much in advance. Seriously, thank you, I’m getting quite frustrated.

I have 3030 and the Gray Ghost Amphibians work great on mine and have great volume. The Amphibians have a volume knob on the headphones, does yours have it as well?

I did my own. I’ve used Tony’s and GGA.... with no problem either. The CTX requires 3 pins be used on of those pins is free the other two must be soldered together for proper volume. HArolds was the BEST. But he no long does phones

I have 3030 and the Gray Ghost Amphibians work great on mine and have great volume. The Amphibians have a volume knob on the headphones, does yours have it as well?

I would be interested to know in what capacity you are using yours. I have no problems in a quiet locale but when using them towards the more extreme end of what they are designed to do (and should do) is when they are failing. Thanks.

Yes they stink! I no longer submerge mine after the screen flooded. What i did was buy a pair of sunray pro golds and plug them into the jack adapter. It blows my ears off. The Amphibians also stink on the equinox. I can't hear the iron nulls or low tones if the wind is barely blowing. A noreaster you might as well stay home!:roll:

I use them at the beach, Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, now I don't dive so I m not using them underwater but I do use them at the beach and find them loud enough for me. I do know Detector Pro who make them was sold and under new ownership and I bought mine a couple years ago before the sale so maybe since the sell they are not the same.

For trouble shooting, first I'd try the Minelab original (cheap) nonwaterproof headphones that come w the CTX 3030 - they should be too loud.

I have had the CTX for 2 1/2 yrs w/o problems with various problematic waterproof headphones. I have used GGs (had to send them in once for repair after about 4 months use) and have used the Pelso from Kellyco (had to send them back for replacement about 1 month after got them). Make sure the connection is solid (no debris/water/salt) and that the headphones actually work.

As to hearing targets or background hum in, say, a windy environment, I have found it very helpful to use an expandable Velcro band around my head and headphones - pressing them against my big head. Really helps at the beach when the wind is blowing at 30-40 mph (my favorite time to hunt dry sand because sand blasting helps clear the beach of people).

Back
Top Bottom