First WILD Hunt of the Year

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Got a call about a phone and a pair of sunglasses that went swimming so I decided to take my new toy for a spin and play for a while. First stop was the phone. Easy find in a marina. Next to launch my boat and go out for a ride. Since the sunglasses were at a boat launch I took my boat to it to put it in the water. Then took it out to play for a while. First stop was my marina to do a little work on my Sea Ray. Since the other side of the dock isn't rented yet I put them side by side.

Then went out to look at the party spots that I hunt on the lake and back to Selfridge boat launch for the glasses. Met the guy and get a bombshell dropped on me. He didn't lose them at the dock. He lost them in the channel after backing up his boat. They could be anywhere in the middle of the channel at the boat launch. (12 launch ramps) So while I am thinking impossible, we are waiting for a bunch of boats to clear out. After they do, I swim out and go down to 7 foot of black water and muck. I feel around and move forward. I come up to being further away from where he thinks they went in. So I turn around and go back down. Move towards the ramp my boat is at and bingo1 I find glasses. I come up and sure enough they were his!

Talk about another needle in a haystack! So I decide to go back to a party spot and use the rest of the tank up. I find a lot of bullets from WW1, one live one, bottle tops and pull tabs and 2 dimes, two nickels and 4 pennies. Still kind of cold out there but it was a good day.

Last edited:
Scuba : do you do this as a second job or something ? Seems like all you put into this it gets expensive. What are your fees ? Always use a detector ? Appears you do alot of "feeling around in dark muck " , very time consuming. Needle in a haystack would be an understatement. Or is it just the challenge , competitiveness within yourself ? Just curious.
Thanks , The KOB

Scuba : do you do this as a second job or something ? Seems like all you put into this it gets expensive. What are your fees ? Always use a detector ? Appears you do alot of "feeling around in dark muck " , very time consuming. Needle in a haystack would be an understatement. Or is it just the challenge , competitiveness within yourself ? Just curious.
Thanks , The KOB

No job, retired. I live good and I am comfortable. No fees. Folks pay me what they feel I am worth to them. Metal detector only for metal items. I have 9 of them. Four Fisher CZ-20 /21's Two Tiger Sharks, Two Equinox 800's and a Whites Dual Field. I own my own compressor and 14 tanks.

Only expenses I really have is a boat and a truck payment. Everything else in my life is paid for.

I will gladly trade you gas bills for a season OBN!! Your ride is awesome also, but it can't hold all my scuba gear!

I bet they do use some gas but they are very nice. Mine has a 22 gal tank and I may fill it once a month, most of my trips out are short, 8 miles would be the most distance I travel. I do have 3 ramps I use which cost me 150 a year. So that keeps a variety of spots I can get to.

Scuba : 1 more ? How many hunts do you do for others as compared to going out on your own for fun in a year ? Just another form of detecting doing what you love. Maybe cause you have done it for so long , it is easier than it looks. Idk. Gotta respect you for that. To each his own.

Way to go on the impossible recovery! I give you massive credit for even trying!! You rock! And nice boats!

Scuba : 1 more ? How many hunts do you do for others as compared to going out on your own for fun in a year ? Just another form of detecting doing what you love. Maybe cause you have done it for so long , it is easier than it looks. Idk. Gotta respect you for that. To each his own.

I have been finding things for folks for years. Maybe one or two a month. The last few weeks of last summer my daughter put me on Facebook. It took off like wildfire. Instead of one or two hunts a month around 10 a week. I don't mind. It is working for me. Only reason I haven't got out yet this year is it has been a cold spring. Going out again on Friday to an inland lake. I used to go out 4 - 6 days a week on my own. Will probably get back to that as most search and recovery jobs last a few minutes at most.

And yes it is super easy for me. I have no fear of black water or muck. I have been diving for 40 years this year. I dive under docks and boats and I am very comfortable in knowing what to do in an emergency. I just got out from under a twin screw boat today unwrapping line from the propellers and shafts. I get more money from these easy jobs than I would ever get with most gold rings I find.

Way to go on the impossible recovery! I give you massive credit for even trying!! You rock! And nice boats!

He told me it was at the dock. IF I had known it was in the channel I might have told him it was an impossible for me to do job. I tried because I was already there! Thanks Barb

Wow.. Amazing !
I now knight you - Sir Super Scuba !

What ? Regular coins and bullet shells for a wild hunt ? That weren't found for a posse-hunt reunion story ? No kisses from grateful pretty gals ? Sshheessk, what a boring post ! :laughing: You have done "mere mortal" hunting again, haha

You know what Boat stands for ?

Bust - Out - Another - Thousand !

You know what Boat stands for ?

Bust - Out - Another - Thousand !

Big deal. I am giving that away in the contest section as soon as someone wins. You only live once. Enjoy it and and have no regrets.

Being a water hunter it is easy to pay for toys and enjoy them. You just have to keep persistent and not give in to disappointment when you find your thousandth pull tab for the year.

Definition of a boat. A boat is a hole in the water in which someone throws money into.

On the glasses better to be lucky than good comes to mind; congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom