Dry sand hunting?

snorkel

Still relatively new to metal detecting and do most searching in the water.
But wondering if dry sand hunting could be just as worthwhile.
If you're hunting dry sand how far do you stay from other beachgoers who may be there?

Dry sand hunting produces awesome finds in Florida. I don't stay away from beach goers and sometimes hunt dry sand all day if I can't get in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve Found a few goodies in the dry - I was relegated to the dry with my Compadres. Was fun but always wished I could hit the wet. Hence the Nox purchase but have only gone 1x to the beach so far (not close).many a hunt in the dry and bad some good finds and fun.

When detecting a populated beach I usually stay at least 20’ feet away unless on the wet sand then I usually have a radius of say 10’. All that changes based on beach conditions though.

People spread out their towels and blankets in the dry sand and establish personal spaces. It would be rude and creepy to invade that personal space. Give them some distance. The dry sand can be hunted any time. Stick to open spaces until the people leave.

I concur

People spread out their towels and blankets in the dry sand and establish personal spaces. It would be rude and creepy to invade that personal space. Give them some distance. The dry sand can be hunted any time. Stick to open spaces until the people leave.

Also, Sunset or Sunrise.

Wear earbuds and attire that makes you fit in, not weird. If you like talking with the people - do it. Kids will follow you around. I would say doing it helps the hobby. There are many out there that always wanted to try it and will ask you questions - more women than men! If though you are one of those that wants privacy and to be left alone pick a different time when no one is around.

My best ring find to date was from a dry sand hunt. I sold that baby for almost $2,000 and paid for a trip to Spain.

I try to stay at least 10 feet away from people on the beach but I enjoy detecting before people arrive in the morning and after they leave in the evening. My local beaches start to fill up around 10:30 am and by that time I have been there at least 4 hours. Also it is cooler early in the morning. I rarely find a gold ring on the dry sand.

I hit the beaches here really early in the Prime Time Season..like 4 or 5 am ish until about 7 or 8...thats my drysanding time, beach hopping for freshies...a guy has a distinct swing and strategy...sweep the towel line down and back as fast and efficient as possible..light scoop, light rig, barefoot and wearing shorts....cutting a 12' arc down and back, keeping an eye out for Human tracks from the day/night before....keying in on the paydirt...

Most Waterbabies head straight into the water....theres lots lost up on the drysand and i'm not talking just clad..theres cellphones and jewelry and whatnot, but theres also miles and miles of drysand to work, so a guy has to be fast...

For giggles, I kept track one season, I walked over 100 miles barefoot in the sand before sun-up in July sweeping the dry sand towel line...30 days, every morning, 1.5 miles in one direction from where I park down and back covering 24' of prime drop dry sand realestate...it pays if you hit it hard and fast and continually...Its tough duty though!...then a guy has to be at work by 8am...Its a good strategy if a guy is up for it...

Dry sand hunting is like wondering the Sahara hoping to find an oasis.

:cool3:

R5

I prefer to stay about 10 feet away but if I get to close and I get a glare or a stare I pull my headphone off and joke "We spit it 50/50" for right around here, pointing to the area they are in. Most of the time I get a laugh or a good conversation and sometimes even a new friend.

I usually do the dry sand when I'm at a beach, although in the past few beach hunts I focussed a lot on the wet sand.

I mostly find coins and the occasional jewellery in the dry sand, although heaps of trash too (foil, pull tabs, tent pegs etc). My two best rings (a Cartier platinum ring, and an 18k white gold ring with a princess cut diamond) have come from the dry sand.

Only found one 9k ring in the wet sand, but that was after some decent erosion.

If people are laying on the beach, I try to give them a minimum of 15'. I don't want to invade their space. Be friendly and answer their questions and especially if they are explaining things to their kids. Sometimes I show some excitement about finding a bottle cap and show their kids that I am cleaning the beach.

Dry sand hunting produces many interesting items. I usually go late afternoon after sun bathers leave for the day and have more beach to search...……...

If you want clad, the dry sand is the way to go. If you want jewelry, the wet sand and surf are the ways to go. Recently collected my stats for gold rings over 4 years and found that about 10% were dry sand, 40% wet sand/low tide and 50% water, roughly speaking.

Gold - 8
Silver - 33
Coins - 1,670

Since we hunt during prime time, we usually stick to the wet sand and shore line.

While it is busy and crowded at times, I have a right to enjoy my hobby out there too. I don't get too close, like to the point where I'd bump someone or can't swing, but people do walk by pretty close. I'm not going to concede our fun so as to not bother others, which we don't bother anyone anyway. In other words, I'm not overly cautious or overly concerned about others. This implies they have a bigger right to space and fun? No.

Some people throw a ball around and take up lots of shore space that people have to walk around to not get hit. Others are blaring obnoxious music that would be unpleasant to spend the day next to.

We're quiet, don't take up much space - we're only in one spot for a short time. I'd say our nuisance factor is quite low. Near zero.

Dry sand is harder to do when it's busy because unlike the shore line, people are setup and stationary, or laying out. There one should give a reasonable amount of space. Near the water's edge, there's less of a "territorial" perception.

Most hunters will not hunt the areas I do because of the crowds, and instead go off-hours.

Back
Top Bottom