Tesoro’s 6” coils

MuddyMo

Forum Supporter
I swung a 6” compadre and then a mohave with a 6” coil and noticed how much better balanced the compadre was. I weighed the 6” coil on a compadre and it was quite a bit lighter than the 5 pin 6” coil. I can’t remember for sure but I thought the 4 pin 6” coil, that i no longer have, was well balanced and therefore maybe lighter like the compadre’s. I think i’m going to try to find a compadre coil and add a connector to it. If anyone has a beat up or broken compadre or just the coil I’d be interested in buying it.

MuddyMo said:
I swung a 6” compadre and then a mohave with a 6” coil and noticed how much better balanced the compadre was.
If you had a 6" Concentric coil on both a Compadre and Mojave, the weight would have been very, very close to identical. The Mojave would have had the added 'weight' of a coil connector, a knob and a toggle switch, and that's practically nothing.

MuddyMo said:
I weighed the 6” coil on a compadre and it was quite a bit lighter than the 5 pin 6” coil.
The Compadre uses the same 5-pin search coils as the other general category Tesoro's, such as the Mojave, Silver µMAX, older Bandido's, Silver Sabre's, Golden Sabre's and many, many more models. The only difference is the Compadre's were hard-wired and didn't have the connector pieces.

MuddyMo said:
I can’t remember for sure but I thought the 4 pin 6” coil, that i no longer have, was well balanced and therefore maybe lighter like the compadre’s.
The 4-pin 6" coil, usually the black colored coil for the 'HOT' series such as the Cibola, Vaquero, Tejón, etc., is a heavier coil than the white colored 6" Concentric 5-pin coils.

MuddyMo said:
I think i’m going to try to find a compadre coil and add a connector to it. If anyone has a beat up or broken compadre or just the coil I’d be interested in buying it.
I think that's a waste of time and $$$. The 5-pin 6" Concentric coil is the same coil as what's mounted on a hard-wired Compadre.

Monte

Sorry Monte but I believe you’re wrong. I too thought they were the same. I put the 6” on the mohave to compare depth to the compadre. I noticed the weight difference when swinging them. I disconnected the coils from the lower rods and carefully put them on a digital scale so the cords weren’t making a difference. There was a big significant difference in weight.

Yes I know they use the same 5 pin coils.
Yes I know the difference and own both 4 and 5 pin machines

Everyone has a different idea of what a waste of money is. Some think owning a metal detector is a waste let alone owning more than one. I want, not need, the lightest coils out there.

MuddyMo said:
Sorry Monte but I believe you’re wrong. I too thought they were the same. I put the 6” on the mohave to compare depth to the compadre. I noticed the weight difference when swinging them. I disconnected the coils from the lower rods and carefully put them on a digital scale so the cords weren’t making a difference. There was a big significant difference in weight.

Yes I know they use the same 5 pin coils.
Yes I know the difference and own both 4 and 5 pin machines

Everyone has a different idea of what a waste of money is. Some think owning a metal detector is a waste let alone owning more than one. I want, not need, the lightest coils out there.
Well, let me simply add this to what I already said. The Compadre uses the same 5-pin coils. On inquiries I had in the past, and directly from Tesoro, they are the same coils but without a connector, just hard-wired.

Now I will add this regarding the Compadre you have and weighed that specific search coil, and Tesoro's 6" Concentric coils in general:

1.. It's probable that your Compadre has the normal build design of the general 6" Concentric coils, but the othe4r coil you compared was weightier for a good reason. I know that when they were first released I was a Tesoro Dealer at the time and it seemed to me the thin 6" coil was as ideal as I expected.

2.. While wire used and windings made might be a bit different between the 4-Pin and 5-Pin 6" coils, it doesn't seem like it would be significant enough to justify the heavier 4-Pin 6" coils I have had for the Vaquero's, Tejón's and other 'HOT' series models.

I added a couple of them to my personal arsenal this past two years and got their 4-Pin 6" Concentric coils, but was annoyed that they were as heavy as they were compared with my trusted Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX models. I didn't enjoy their weighty feel and handling so I parted with all of those models, and coils, to just enjoy the comfort and performance of the three Tesoro's I rely on.

I don't believe I am 'wrong,' but I do believe the build design by Tesoro had some changes in various production runs of their 6" coils to account for a significant difference in weight. Oh, one other thought about the heavier 6" Concentric coil you weighed.

Early on, when they first introduced a 6" Concentric coil, it wasn't offered for the land-based models but was made for one of their waterproof/beach models. When I handled that detector I commented that I would really like to have that coil ... in a lighter weight ... for my Bandido's and a Pantera I had at the time.

It was designed as a heavier coil to eliminate buoyancy when water hunting. I know a fellow who had such a coil, with connector, and it was definitely a heavier and unfriendly weight to have on the end of a Bandido or Silver Sabre model. I wonder if, per chance, you ended up with such a specimen?

I know that I currently have 3 of the 6" coils and use them exclusively on my Tesoro's, and in the past year-and-a-half I have acquired at least 5, possibly 6 or 7, of the 6" coils for Bandido and Silver Sabre models for others and all of them had the same lighter weight and comfortable feel.

Maybe your other coil was the one with an issue.

Monte

I wondered if it was weighted but I didn’t think they made 6” ones. My first bandito II umax had a weighted brown 8” and it was much heavier than the others. I sold the compadre but I believed the coil on it was thinner as well. Either way i’m looking for a lighter 6” then I have.

MuddyMo said:
Either way i’m looking for a lighter 6” then I have.
Good luck on your search. They are out there. In the past few weeks I acquired a couple of really nice Silver Sabre microMAX units, with their 8" coils, and needed a 6" Concentric for the one I got for my 2nd vehicle. Those are the only search coils I use on any of my Tesoro's, so if I come across an extra I'll let you know. Mine will be here tomorrow and cost me $75, delivered.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom