50 tones vs 5 tones with breaks set to adjust pitch, volume and breaks

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
tnsharpshooter has a good video about the Deus and Nox 800 tones on the differences between some junk items and coins.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=271821

This tread is just about the Nox 800 portion at the end of the video.

yes, in 5 tone it is difficult if not impossible for my ears to hear a difference in you nox 800 portion of the videos. Good video clear tones. We need more of those video, especially for the newbies to this hobby and 600 and 800.

50 tones I can tell a slight difference. Most nox owners i know use 50 tones unless setting up cherry picking with tone break settings.

so if we need 50 tones to really help determine coins from junk as seen in the nox portion of this video, does that not eliminate the benefits of setting tone breaks, pitch, volume in 5 tones and below?

Seems like you have to choose 50 tones over the breaks and setting pitch and volume in 5 tones if you are to get the nuances of the 50 tones audio signals.

am I missing something here?

I guess if you are in a hunting situation where you are digging everything, it does not matter that much about tone nuances and can use the 5 tone with breaks, and setting the volume and pitch as desired. Since you set breaks, volume, and pitch on vdi readings not audio tone. I guess you can just switch to 50 tone to check suspect targets and maybe what the designers had in mind.

Last edited:
I use 5 tones with bins and individual volumes set up in each one. I don't think I could handle 50 tones in the places I hunt. It's hard enough for me to handle 5 tones in such a target rich environment. Maybe someone needs to school me on the advantages of 50 tones.

I use 5 tones with bins and individual volumes set up in each one. I don't think I could handle 50 tones in the places I hunt. It's hard enough for me to handle 5 tones in such a target rich environment. Maybe someone needs to school me on the advantages of 50 tones.

when you say target rich do you mean good and junk targets or just good targets like coins and relics?

If it is the latter, let me know where you live, looking for a good place to retire, hah.

Target rich means any target good or junk! In some places I can't hunt long depending on my mood. Drives me nuts dealing with the constant barrage of beeps. There may be some good targets left as in silver, but I've had it with this these type places. I am so ready for a nice clean quite yard where the only beeps you hear are mostly coming from coins. I'm tired of pulling coins out of junky places. It is rewarding finding silver in junky places or eeking out deep partially masked coins from parks, but despite the feeling of accomplishment it's getting to be to much like work lately. I've found 16 silvers YTD and only 3-4 tops were easy finds.

A tone is an data point. The more data you have, the better off you are.

Imagine all of your targets thrown into 5 separate bins. This means a lot of junk mixed in with the good stuff.

Of course, as we age, we lose the ability to hear as well as we did when we were younger.... It may not be possible to discern all 50 different tones - but chances are you will be able to hear more than 5. The more the merrier.

My M6 had 7 tones and my AT Pro has 3.....that's enough for me. How much difference can there be when you have 50 tones and go from #35 to #36?

Target rich means any target good or junk! In some places I can't hunt long depending on my mood. Drives me nuts dealing with the constant barrage of beeps. There may be some good targets left as in silver, but I've had it with this these type places. I am so ready for a nice clean quite yard where the only beeps you hear are mostly coming from coins. I'm tired of pulling coins out of junky places. It is rewarding finding silver in junky places or eeking out deep partially masked coins from parks, but despite the feeling of accomplishment it's getting to be to much like work lately. I've found 16 silvers YTD and only 3-4 tops were easy finds.

Ok, now I understand and agree with you. With the 800 target rich will drive you crazy. Most places I hunt are target rich. It is a pain to hear all that chatter, but when a coin comes in real solid it is still fun. I have decided 80% of my problems are not seeking good permissions. Eg yards from older homes 1900 to 1940. My belated resolution for this year is really to seek out and hunt good permissions only where the odds are more in my favor and not tons of junk as I find in parks, ball fields and other public places. I have found myself in a lazy rut of hunting these junk laden public spaces because they are close by. I have to friends on here that are within 40 miles of where I hunt and they seek out permissions and get them and guess what they get the silver that I don't. Duh!

I already wear hearing aids and just got a 600. Doubt if I will be using 50 tones soon. My hearing aids are blue tooth too so may help connecting them.

Back
Top Bottom