you have a built in charging for the battery
when that goes bad you have NO machine trash:laughing:
with the 3030 you can charge a battery or use 8 aa s
as far as weight my 3030 is balanced great
so no problems...
last why have a machine named after a ford :D:D
i own 3 machines 1 3030 1 surfpi 1 atpro
all i need good luck with your findings:p

Evidently you know little about Equinox.
Equinox can be run on external pack in the field. Not submerged though. Battery can be replaced on Nox too.
Equinox has no charging system (total/stand alone) built in actually for battery. Equinox does has electronics to manage internal battery level charging.
One must use external charging device like wall outlet charger, power pack, laptop computer or home pc.
Actually when one uses external power packmwith detector the internal battery is bypassed.
I have used mine as such.
Will post a pic showing. Cost me around $20. So cheap.
50sitv.jpg

Yeah they give though replacement Li pro packs for CTX the last time I looked. NOT!! :lol::lol::lol:

Btw look back through history on metal detecting forums.
You say you get what you pay for.
Ok, go look at the waterlogged CTXs that folks gave around $2000 for.
And then see how many waterlogged Noxes you see talked about.

Yeah I like to stick with actual facts and definite trends when it comes to talking about equipment.

So if out of warranty and your ctx battery goes TU and or your charging base for battery. Be prepared to pay.
https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-ctx-3030-battery-charger-base
https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-li-ion-rechargeable-battery-pack-for-ctx-3030

Last edited:
I have hunted for 6 hrs until I was darn tired with the Equinox. Still had battery left to use. That was enough for me. There are plenty of reasons to use a CTX for a hunt. The battery of the Equinox is not one of them.

you get what you pay for
you can buy 3 of the 800s
for the cost of 1 3030
i would NOT buy a nox for this reason
you have a built in charging for the battery
when that goes bad you have NO machine trash:laughing:
with the 3030 you can charge a battery or use 8 aa s
as far as weight my 3030 is balanced great
so no problems...
last why have a machine named after a ford :D:D
i own 3 machines 1 3030 1 surfpi 1 atpro
all i need good luck with your findings:p

Why make the thread into a CTX vs Nox bash? I own both and I keep saying it over and over, both are awesome machines. CTX has more bells and whistles but the Nox most definitely nails silver standing straight up on edge better than the CTX or any other machine I've used which is why you have some people saying they are finding silver at spots that have been hit with a CTX or other machines, because theyre sniffing out the coins on edge. And this response was kind of silly when you say:

"you get what you pay for
for the cost of 1 3030
i would NOT buy a nox for this reason"

and then immediately say:

"i own 3 machines 1 3030 1 surfpi 1 atpro
all i need good luck with your findings"

Can you not buy FOUR At Pros for the cost of one CTX? Well why did you buy that junk then? It's obviously beneath you. :lol:

Why make the thread into a CTX vs Nox bash? I own both and I keep saying it over and over, both are awesome machines. CTX has more bells and whistles but the Nox most definitely nails silver standing straight up on edge better than the CTX or any other machine I've used which is why you have some people saying they are finding silver at spots that have been hit with a CTX or other machines, because theyre sniffing out the coins on edge. And this response was kind of silly when you say:

"you get what you pay for
for the cost of 1 3030
i would NOT buy a nox for this reason"

and then immediately say:

"i own 3 machines 1 3030 1 surfpi 1 atpro
all i need good luck with your findings"

Can you not buy FOUR At Pros for the cost of one CTX? Well why did you buy that junk then? It's obviously beneath you. :lol:

Actually all fbs/fbs 2 detectors are great performers. I like them.
Equinox is great performer too.

Wonder where we would be in the bigger world of detecting if Minelab would have never come on board in the detector industry?
I wonder this quite often. Like how much silver would still exist in parks today?? If they would have not come on board.
Oh yeah when they did intro Explorer, there were a lot of naysayers.
They can’t be for real.
The fisher and Whites crowd just couldn’t believe.
Eventually what they were seeing and hearing about (with coin finds) they eventually caved (most) and then some eventually ponied up and vought Minelab’s.
The rest is history.
Could say the same about Xp too.
The Deus was criticized just on looks alone via pics. Too flimsy, a piece of cheap cra— according to many.
Yeah it’s comical to see folks trash detectors without ever using firsthand.
Happens quite offen too.
Too bad.

So true. I have found that with my 600, a nickel hits a solid 13. If I "X" the target and see a 12-13 or a 13-14, I then look at the depth. If it is fairly shallow (4" or less in my soil anyway) it is not a nickel. I may still dig to see if it is a ring though. Over 4", I have found nickels but TID was 12-13-14 sometimes which in my opinion I look at that as 13 is the average number in that lot of three and I have found this to be a nickel let's say 60% of the time. In rare cases it has been a nickel with some trash next to or above the nickel in the plug/hole. I have found more nickels with the 600 in the time I have been swinging it compared to other detectors I have used in the past for the same amount of swing time. Maybe it's just my soil here but in my experience with the Equinox, it is a nickel hog.
I also look at target history of where I am hunting. If I am hunting a school for example, I already know that an 11 solid or an 11-12 is the eraser end of a pencil. Know where you are hunting and what you are most likely to find. If I were at an old house and got an 11, 11-12 TID, it could still be that darn eraser end of the pencil but I know I am not hunting a schoolyard and hopefully the odds will be in my favor so I am definitely digging.:yes:

Very good point on the depth, i do the very same thing, i forgot to mention that.

Video comparing Eqx 800 and Etrac, dime on edge with nails near. Even though I adjusted quick mask screen for video demo using Etrac. I should have said I encourage folks to let their disc in actual detect screen down to line 27. Quick mask screen when used in the field is generally used without any disc to get intel on suspect targets.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mz1eqbhkTjo

???? seems you do not know how to use the equinox properly.....or are comparing stock coil on the nox to a smaller atpro coil. my mxsport kills at pro in trash, and my nox kills my sport......

I should be clearer, I meant I can tell trash from treasure quite easy with At pro sounds and vdi# and icon compared to noxys numbers /tones. Equinox is no slouch for sure!

Watch this next video I post here.
Comparing Etrac and Eqx 800.
This test might just show why some are finding silver behind fbs/fbs 2 detectors using Nox park 2 detect mode.
Will up up here in about an hour.
Very interesting.

Last edited:
Never trusted the ID much for higher conductors with the nox for accuracy on identifying a penny from a dime etc..BUT,,if the tone said it was a coin it was definitely a coin of some sort.. Although I do like consistent coin readings I’m starting to wonder does it really matter,if it’s a coin just dig it..I’m not the biggest nox fan but I got to give credit where it’s due,,I don’t ever remember getting a coin sound and not finding a coin..I can’t say that about others machines.....

Video comparing Etrac and Eqx 800 on vertical nail and dime. Remember this just one test as far as where dime is positioned relative to nail. Need to do more testing here. To maybe find out. Can I move this dime little farther from nail and improve ID of dime using Eqx yet Etrac won’t detect or if it does detect give some erroneous ID making a person think junk target?
Want to try a few other things here in similar test like square nail, thing piece of ferrous wire, etc. To see effects. Of both detector models.
Etrac disc at line 27 ferrous in video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TUNyTkRA2Cg

Last edited:
I have been using an Equinox 800 for 6 months and I find the same things I found with my AT pro. I do find deeper targets but not anything great. It is the same as I expected but still a good detector.

A lot of stuff was just about it wasn't true but is is still good and an upgrade from the ATP at least for depth. It is just a normal midrange detector but I like it. It is good to to have 2 machines that work differently because they will find stuff the the other missed.

Nox will destroy the ATP in every category you can think of. Spend more time learning it.

Nox will destroy the ATP in every category you can think of. Spend more time learning it.

Maybe he is running it in the single freq modes? I have found it just an average detector in single freq, but the magic happens in Multi freq.

Hey TNSS.... I have been following along. If you can I would like to
see the dime and nail test you did earlier in the thread.
I think it was dime laying flat.

Do the same exact test next to the nail. But this time
around run 50 tones on the NOX. If you are in 50 tones disregard.

Sounds like you are in 5 tones. Thanks for all the videos!

DD

Or you could just hunt an area with multiple modes and coils, and of course multiple detectors if you have the money.

Back
Top Bottom