Terminology in Clynick's book

RFWoodVT

Afternoon all. Just spent a couple weeks in Florida. Had a grand time playing with my Nox-800. Also brought along Clynick's book to train the brain.

Came across quite a few things he mentions apparently with the assumption that "everyone knows" what he means. Well, for this beginner I can only begin to imagine what he's referring to.

Anyhow, was hoping y'all could enlighten me on some of them.

Right off the bat he constantly refers to "extension" in a tone as a sign that it is a good target. Not sure exactly what he means by that.

For example I can get a nice, clean, extended tone over a soda can but that seems more related to target size as opposed to quality. A low conductor foil also frequently ramps up smoothly, remains clean and fades smoothly. Both have what I understand as "extension" but neither is a quality target.

Conversely many a 25-cent piece or small jewlery tend to give solid, but clipped tones or scratchy tones.

So, what am I missing from his use of the word "extension"?

In a similar way he says that tone and pinpoint can give a fairly good indication of target size with proper coil control. On the surface that makes sense but he doesn't explain what to listen for in any detail much less how to use coil control to suss it out.

Again, I could really use come clarification on that.

Thanks!

Or people could give their opinions, surely some folks here know what he’s talking about.

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

As a COIN hunter,I always look for signals that have a “peak” in the middle...the signal goes “pOp” instead of “waaAAAaaa”....but he will have to say if that is what he means. Bury a can and a coin separately and observe the signal. You will see the difference...and then be sure to remember that difference.:grin:

I have read both of his books and had trouble with that word extensions. He will answer any question you have about his book. I know this for a fact.

PS - am still not totally clear but on page 61 of beginner to advance, he has a graphic of sound wave as it would look on an ocillascope. ( I guess).

With volume being indicated on the vertical axis and time on the horizontal axis.

the first one depicted is a clipped example like a short blip of a sound.
the second one will sound longer and rougher sounding or broken.
the third is a double blip like two quick short blips.
the fourth is a skewed one, either ramping up quick and with a slower extension at the end decreasing in tone or volume or just the opposite.
the fifth is an extension where the tone has a broader or longer sound as opposed the the first one a short clipped sound.

this is the best I can do. hope it helps.

I won't reproduce the graphic here because of copyright issues.

Re/ "Extension"

Not that complicated a term--just a longer tone and any non-ferrous target will have a longer tone than iron.
Sounds like one of those questions that people ask before actually using the machine and say "why don't I understand?" The book is not meant to stand by itself. Not the first person who has asked that but the meaning is something that the machine will teach you--can't help there.
cjc
Afternoon all. Just spent a couple weeks in Florida. Had a grand time playing with my Nox-800. Also brought along Clynick's book to train the brain.

Came across quite a few things he mentions apparently with the assumption that "everyone knows" what he means. Well, for this beginner I can only begin to imagine what he's referring to.

Anyhow, was hoping y'all could enlighten me on some of them.

Right off the bat he constantly refers to "extension" in a tone as a sign that it is a good target. Not sure exactly what he means by that.

For example I can get a nice, clean, extended tone over a soda can but that seems more related to target size as opposed to quality. A low conductor foil also frequently ramps up smoothly, remains clean and fades smoothly. Both have what I understand as "extension" but neither is a quality target.

Conversely many a 25-cent piece or small jewlery tend to give solid, but clipped tones or scratchy tones.

So, what am I missing from his use of the word "extension"?

In a similar way he says that tone and pinpoint can give a fairly good indication of target size with proper coil control. On the surface that makes sense but he doesn't explain what to listen for in any detail much less how to use coil control to suss it out.

Again, I could really use come clarification on that.

Thanks!

As I was reading his books, I kept thinking to myself that audio file examples would have been helpful. Maybe being able to access part of his website with audio files with a book purchase?

I do like IDX's example of "the signal goes “pOp” instead of “waaAAAaaa”"

Great onomatopoeia.

Back
Top Bottom