Need your help guys on woman's beach machine

Marty115

I am looking for a inexpensive detector ie under 800 dollars to take to the beach both for shallow salt water and wet/dry sand detecting. The detector is for a beginner, a woman and must be light for her to swing and simple to use. It will be used in the Bahamas. I would like perhaps a multi-frequency with iron mask or a decent VLF. Maybe a id screen?

Thanks. Marty

‘simple to use’ and ‘great beach detector’ don’t always go together well. a couple okay detectors for the beach would be the Garrett AT Pro and the fisher F5--both of which are vlf and have manual ground balance options.

The tesoro water detectors are awesome, but no screen. The Tiger Shark comes to mind. PI machines are wonderful in salt water.

The tesoro water detectors are awesome, but no screen. The Tiger Shark comes to mind. PI machines are wonderful in salt water.

You're thinking of the Sand Shark. The Tiger doesn't work in salt water.

my wife would soooooo kick my butt for this.....:laughing:

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 213
Good simple beach machine

AT Pro worked for me. Still use it. Don't have to afraid to get it wet.
Good Hunting

My girl friend recently tried another detectorist's AT Pro at our beach out here and said she would detect with me if I bought her one. She said it was light and she liked it. The man also had a cool chest harness we both thought would be cool.

AT pro is a great machine but is not great for salt water minerals,,,,you would be best picking up a used CZ21 or used Excal,,,,this time of the year is a good time to pick up a good used one,,GL HH

Beach Hunter ID looks to be the lightest of the beach machines.

I wouldn't buy an AT Pro for saltwater... just asking for frustration.

Yea..I think the beach hunter ID is what you need, It may get dunked so waterproof is nessisary, the whites BHID has 3 LED`s (think it is 3) green red yellow for the type metal. Think it is a dual freqency too so should be stable and deep enough.

Are you asking if anyone has one for sale or just looking for ideas?

Why not waterproof an Explorer? Used ones can be found cheap, they have the id screen, interchangeable coils, and of course are light as can be since the waterproof box is waist or pack mounted. You are welcome to look at mine if you need a reference for how to put it together.

-David

Attachments

• Fexp1.jpg
    Fexp1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 188
As others have said, the AT Pro will not work on salt water beaches and definitely not in salt water.

IMHO the best fresh/salt water & beach detector, at a reasonable price, is the Tesoro PI Sand Shark.

Are you asking if anyone has one for sale or just looking for ideas?

Why not waterproof an Explorer? Used ones can be found cheap, they have the id screen, interchangeable coils, and of course are light as can be since the waterproof box is waist or pack mounted. You are welcome to look at mine if you need a reference for how to put it together.

-David

No I just want to get her (a friend) a good beach machine what will work for her at her beach house. I do not want to get involved in "modding" for her although that is a good idea. I personally use the Sea Hunter and also have 2 GT's which in my opinion are close to at the top of beach machines. Unfortunately, they do not make the GT anymore. I just need a light easy to use machine for her that will find her some "treasures". Thanks for all the inputs guys.
Marty

Best: a used excal.
Can be had for under 800 on the "mainland".

Also, a used whites any of the surf models. A new one is listed every other day on ebay. Can be had for $450-$600. Can't beat their customer service.

An ID machine can be very distracting when you are first learning.
I got an ATPro first off (I'm in Hawaii). I was enamored of the numbers on that screen. I took it in the ocean and the sucker went crazy. It falsed all over the place. So badly that I couldn't tell the difference between a false and an actual target. I will admit that the AT Pro is a great machine in the dry sand, though.

Not to be overlooked: a Bounty Hunter with the 40% off coupon at hobby lobby. It Can't go in the water but its ultra light, great for dry sand conditions, a good learning machine, you can get the coil wet (I've found coins in the surf and wet sand with mine - but be careful a couple of drops in the brain and its toast) and if she likes it, she can easily upgrade. It'll cost $60 +/- and is a great backup machine for later.

For reference, I now own a Whites Surf PI, an Excal II and the trusty Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.

A waterproofed and hip-mounted Sov GT might be another option.
Yup, I agree. :yes::yes:

Set up one of your GTs for her.

My wife uses a Sov. GT in a backpack.:grin: Light, okay for the wet sand and shallows and one of the best salt water machines around. We both fight for the GT these days but I usually lose and end up using the hip mounted Excal. when we get the chance to hunt together.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom