my first large cent

kyheadhunter

It had been a few weeks since I had found any coins around the old house foundation. Just relics, dog tags etc. Then last week finally found a 1935 wheatie and a 1902 IH penny. I've enjoyed the posts from Dave,Dell and the other guys from Conn. in their search for large coppers. Thought I would post a picture of my pennies and a claim that for me, around here finding an IH is about as good as it gets. Then last Sun went back and was detecting under an old walnut tree where an old shed used to be. I've gone over this area many times in the last 12 months. Anyway, got a good steady signal at 7.5". Dug down and pulled out a small piece of scrap metal. Ran my detector over it again and still got the reading. So took my bullseye around the perimeter of the hole and it buzzed. Took my knive and carefully pried behind it, and a huge coin plopped out. I had never seen one before but this must be a large cent. Went to the car and used my water bottle to clean it off and could see "one cent" clearly on one side. My oldest coin to date My question now is what is the best way to soak off the corrosion. As you can see from the picture it's pretty thick. Thanks for looking and any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_2256.jpg
    100_2256.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 100_2257.jpg
    100_2257.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 346
hey Kyheadhunter congrats on your first

large copper cent , hey first i would recommend a hot water bath and then put it under a heat lamp or under a high watt light to see if alot of that crude will start flaking off use a wood tooth pick to help get that stuff off .if its very stubborn and won't come off i usually do a hot peroxide bath and q-tips treatment until i'm satisfied with results .i don't even use olive oil at all .after i happy with results i'll use a coin perserver or some wax or a little vaseline ..remember what ever you use ain't going to matter if the coin is very porrous or pitted under all that dirt , cleaning it will just reveal this.good luck

Sound advice from a man that knows his Coppers.. Great score on your LC! Even in the condition it's in it's still an awesome find.. They are quite tough to find..

Bruce

Congratulations on your first large cent. Good luck cleaning yours up. It's kind of a crap shoot cleaning them. Sometimes you end up with a nice coin and other times you get a pitted nasty looking disk. Of course most of mine come out of fields and the fertilizer farmers apply does a number on copper coins.

Gratz!! Looks like a matron head too me. Could be wrong but sometimes these eyes never fail!!
1837-coronet-head-large-cent-sm.jpg

most hunters will never find one great job. Thats what I was told when I found mine that most hunters wait there whole lives and never find one well you got yours. Carful on the cleaning I rubbed my date off...

Jamie

Thanks for the info del, I'll do my best to clean it up and post it hopefully with a readable date and details, Thanks again!

most hunters will never find one great job. Thats what I was told when I found mine that most hunters wait there whole lives and never find one well you got yours. Carful on the cleaning I rubbed my date off...

Jamie
I know what you mean jamie, I found 2 v nickles on the same site a coupe of months ago and scrubbed the date right off of one of them with a tooth brush.

large copper cent , hey first i would recommend a hot water bath and then put it under a heat lamp or under a high watt light to see if alot of that crude will start flaking off use a wood tooth pick to help get that stuff off .if its very stubborn and won't come off i usually do a hot peroxide bath and q-tips treatment until i'm satisfied with results .i don't even use olive oil at all .after i happy with results i'll use a coin perserver or some wax or a little vaseline ..remember what ever you use ain't going to matter if the coin is very porrous or pitted under all that dirt , cleaning it will just reveal this.good luck
Thanks for the info del, I'll do my best to clean it up and post it hopefully with readable date and details. Thanks again!

Congrats!!! That's one thing I doubt I will every find in the Boise area... :no:WTG!!!

Congratulations on recovering that cool coin! Even though you'd worked that area many times, you went back again, and it paid off!

Well done, and I hope you manage to clean the coin up a bit without damaging it!

Woo hoo!

Awesome dude! I'm very happy for you!.me? I use warm water,pour some dish detergent on it and use a soft old toothbrush.go slow and keep rinsing.put more soap etc keep repeating.i bet it cleans up nice.and like dan said put some vaseline on it once crud is gone.
Conngrats to you! Love to see the after picture!
Dave

Back
Top Bottom