Sometimes you just get lucky!

Seven

Forum Supporter

Most people who metal detect will not be impressed with this post, but if you pursue detecting from a historical perspective this should be of interest. On Civil War site #1 that Kingdom and I have been working since December 12, 2013, most of the finds we have posted have come from hay fields. In fact, the majority of the site is just open fields. We have hunted the surrounding woods, but have had little luck. Last week we hit a very small section of the woods that was absolutely loaded with Colt .44 pistol bullets and a few Swaged .58 caliber Minnie balls. In the process of digging these signals, a few of them turned out to be pieces of pottery with drops of lead fused to them. We concluded that the soldiers were pouring bullets in the camp and were using a plate to catch the overflow lead. On the second day of hunting this section, Kingdom found a piece with fused lead on it that had a makers mark on the back. The mark wasn’t complete, but there was enough of it remaining that allowed us to ID the plate and its maker. It was an Ironstone plate made by John Meir & Son. John Meir produced quality pottery under his own name from 1812-1836 in England and then began producing under the name John Meir & Son from 1837-1897. This information allowed us to conclude that the plate was indeed consistent with the Civil War period and was probably used by the soldiers who occupied this camp (the 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry). But it also led us to conclude another possibility. Such fine china was probably not standard army issue and probably belonged to an officer. The fact that the soldiers were using such a quality piece of china to catch excess lead while pouring bullets also suggests that the troops were probably short on supplies and had to make do with whatever they had. Commander Thomas Jefferson Jordan indicated in his official reports that during the 9th Pennsylvania’s stay in Tompkinsville, Kentucky that they were indeed short on supplies, including guns, horses, and other basic supplies.

Like I said, most will not be impressed with these finds. However, Kingdom and I are collecting and documenting the site and turning all the artifacts over to be displayed to the public in the local museum. Therefore, a find like this only serves to add a personal touch to the collection of relics and adds another page into the history of the site. From a historical perspective, these may be the most significant finds of the entire site.

suqe9e8a.jpg

Plate pieces with fused lead droppings

babaqeza.jpg

John Meir & Son makers mark

amusy4ug.jpg

Various pieces of the plate recovered

7ypumuha.jpg

Information on John Meir & Son

uza9aje6.jpg

Section of the site where the plate pieces and Colt .44 bullets were found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very cool thanks for the info
it's stuff like that you never even thing about

Thank Carcur. I love history. I love finding bullets and buttons but they only tell part of the story. Finds like this fill in the gaps. Best of luck to you in your hunts. I always love seeing your posts.

Thank Carcur. I love history. I love finding bullets and buttons but they only tell part of the story. Finds like this fill in the gaps. Best of luck to you in your hunts. I always love seeing your posts.

thanks Seven

Awesome,awesome, that is what it is all about. You are finding history and saving it,decoding it, and passing it on.
Well done.
HH

Thats awesome there Seven. Especially how you can take the peices and the stories about the area to peice together what was going on right there in that spot a 150 years ago. Good luck out there and keep the finds coming.

Thats awesome there Seven. Especially how you can take the peices and the stories about the area to peice together what was going on right there in that spot a 150 years ago. Good luck out there and keep the finds coming.

Thanks BensJamming. I have worked on several historical projects through the years, but I have to say that this is the most exciting one I've ever been a part of. Thanks for the encouragement. Best of luck in your hunts.

Who says we are just a bunch of pirates? Good job on the saves and the research! Arkies got nothing on you man!

Thank you NevTrac. The one thing I never wanted to be was just a relic robber. When you piece everything together you can get a surprisingly more complete story. This has been, and continues to be, an exciting project... but I fear I'm hooked on Civil War hunting. :yes::yes::yes:

The fact that the soldiers were using such a quality piece of china to catch excess lead while pouring bullets also suggests that the troops were probably short on supplies and had to make do with whatever they had. Commander Thomas Jefferson Jordan indicated in his official reports that during the 9th Pennsylvania’s stay in Tompkinsville, Kentucky that they were indeed short on supplies, including guns, horses, and other basic supplies.

Seven, it makes me wonder if the union soldiers may have "liberated" this fine china from southern loyalist!! I wouldn't think that an officer that had went through the trouble of packing this fine china all over God's creation would just allow troops to use it to mold bullets. Who knows, that is part of the fun I reckon....speculating how items might have ended up where we find them.

I have been keeping up with your progress on this site. I love anything to do with the "war of northern aggression" and also being from Kentucky makes your finds that much more interesting to me. I have copies of some old family pictures of my relatives that fought in the civil war on the side of the south. One is of my great, great, great grandfather (I think it is, a lot of greats in there ..lol) and his full blooded Cherokee wife. They are posed sitting next to each other and he has his revolver out holding it across his chest and he is dressed in I guess what is all of his confederate uniform that he had or was issued, which isn't much. Anyway, good luck to ya'll and I will be watching for further updates from your digs. Take care.

Jody

Seven, it makes me wonder if the union soldiers may have "liberated" this fine china from southern loyalist!! I wouldn't think that an officer that had went through the trouble of packing this fine china all over God's creation would just allow troops to use it to mold bullets. Who knows, that is part of the fun I reckon....speculating how items might have ended up where we find them.

I have been keeping up with your progress on this site. I love anything to do with the "war of northern aggression" and also being from Kentucky makes your finds that much more interesting to me. I have copies of some old family pictures of my relatives that fought in the civil war on the side of the south. One is of my great, great, great grandfather (I think it is, a lot of greats in there ..lol) and his full blooded Cherokee wife. They are posed sitting next to each other and he has his revolver out holding it across his chest and he is dressed in I guess what is all of his confederate uniform that he had or was issued, which isn't much. Anyway, good luck to ya'll and I will be watching for further updates from your digs. Take care.

Jody

You make an interesting observation, Jody. The research we have done on this site and the 9th Pennsylvania would suggest that they were very respectful of the people of this area at the time. Most of the residents were loyal to the Union. Morgans Raiders were the Confederate group that came through here and battled the 9th. In one of his letters, the 9th commander, Jordan, pleaded for more supplies so he could protect the residents from the southern "Rebels." Maybe it was a gift from the residents here to show their appreciation, but probably was not confiscated, because this was the 9th Pennsylvania's first stop in the war. Either way, it just seems out of place to use such a quality piece of china to catch overflow lead... makes me think it was their only option, as lead was more important to them than the plate. But you gave us something else to think about. I really do appreciate your interest and input. Best of luck in your hunts.

I absolutely love trying to put myself back in time to when the piece was lost and you did just that with your info. Thanks for sharing. Everything we find that's old is awesome, but tying specific history to it makes it even better.

I like this post.

I absolutely love trying to put myself back in time to when the piece was lost and you did just that with your info. Thanks for sharing. Everything we find that's old is awesome, but tying specific history to it makes it even better.

I like this post.

Thanks Gameoftag. Don't you just wish we could turn back time and see what sites like this looked like and the activity that defined it way back then? We will never know the complete story, but each piece we find is another piece to a very large and difficult puzzle. Thanks for your interest and response. Best of luck in your hunts.

Seven, that is amazing! What you are doing is wonderful, keep it up! HH!:D

Thanks Luke. I knew that you would be one that would appreciate these finds and their significance to the site. I must admit though, there are a lot more history buffs on here than I thought there would be. That's great! History is my passion; metal detecting is just a tool to help me pursue it. Good luck to you guys. I know winter has been rough on you. I'm looking forward to posts of your finds.

Back
Top Bottom