My first gold of the year!!!

diggerdogjohn

Elite Member
Being a wimp, I haven't been detecting because of the cold. It was 31 degrees today. I was going stir crazy so thought I'd go detect for a while. I didn't last long but I found this ring within the first 3 minutes of arriving at the park I had chosen to hunt. Park was very trashy around the basketball court and I dug a LOT of trash. Found 8 pennies also.

I have contacted someone from the foundation that owns the old school ( closed in 2009) and they have already answered. They are going to see if they can ID the owner. The ring was from the class of 1967 10K gold 12.4 grams

Attachments

• Patterson ring 2.jpg
    Patterson ring 2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 756
Wow cool find, what were your VDI numbers? Not that it really matters, but I enjoy the details...

Congrats! Nice ring! Your gonna make somebody VERY happy! there aren't enough honest people in this world :-( good for you john!

John G

Congrats! I returned a class ring last season. The money from scrapping the ring couldn't have been worth more than owners reaction!

Congrats! Nice ring! Your gonna make somebody VERY happy! there aren't enough honest people in this world :-( good for you john!

John G

ooooooooooooooooooooook. the way you stated that, makes me think you feel that people that DONT try to return every ring they find are dishonest? You got me curious now. inquiring minds want to know.

AWESOME FIND, diggerdogjohn! And good on ya for doing what you can to return the ring to its original owner!

ooooooooooooooooooooook. the way you stated that, makes me think you feel that people that DONT try to return every ring they find are dishonest? You got me curious now. inquiring minds want to know.

Hook, you're lumping all rings into this, which is not correct. I can only speak for myself, but I believe that a lot of us feel the same way about it: If you can, with a reasonable amount of effort, return a class ring to its rightful owner, then it is the moral thing to do (and I would extend that, personally, to any jewelry whose owner was readily identifiable).

I look at it the same as finding a wallet loaded with cash. If the wallet contains ID and I can use that to find the rightful owner, I will do what I can to find them. In my mind, taking the cash and throwing away the wallet is dishonest. With this as my example/bar/standard, I would view something like keeping a class ring, which has all of the info you need to find out who the owner is/was, as akin to taking the cash out of the wallet; i.e., it would be dishonest. Some people would have no problem doing either ("They lost the wallet/ring, so it's gone in their mind and I'm the richer for it!"). I'm not built that way, though, and I'm very glad that there are many in this community who are not, as well.

AWESOME FIND, diggerdogjohn! And good on ya for doing what you can to return the ring to its original owner!

Hook, you're lumping all rings into this, which is not correct. I can only speak for myself, but I believe that a lot of us feel the same way about it: If you can, with a reasonable amount of effort, return a class ring to its rightful owner, then it is the moral thing to do (and I would extend that, personally, to any jewelry whose owner was readily identifiable).

I look at it the same as finding a wallet loaded with cash. If the wallet contains ID and I can use that to find the rightful owner, I will do what I can to find them. In my mind, taking the cash and throwing away the wallet is dishonest. With this as my example/bar/standard, I would view something like keeping a class ring, which has all of the info you need to find out who the owner is/was, as akin to taking the cash out of the wallet; i.e., it would be dishonest. Some people would have no problem doing either ("They lost the wallet/ring, so it's gone in their mind and I'm the richer for it!"). I'm not built that way, though, and I'm very glad that there are many in this community who are not, as well.

Why are you throwing away a perfectly good wallet?:p Heck, your gonna need something to hold all that cash.:laughing:

You dont have to give it back. But some people like the detective part of metal detecting, the history as well. Congratulations on the fine. I myself like the detective and history.

I tend to agree with this school of thought. Some places you may be legally required to turn in valuable finds on public property to police. I found loose cash in a gas station parking lot years ago. I informed the clerk that I had found it, but didn't reveal the amount. I told her I was going to bring it to the local police and the owner could claim it if they identified the denominations of bills and the total amount. 1 year later I was surprised to get a call from the cops telling me the money was never claimed, and it was mine if I wanted to come pick it up!

Back
Top Bottom