question about AT Pro setting trashy sites

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
on youtube dirtfishing indicated these settings for the AT Pro.

Set your AT Pro set on Pro Zero (other detectors in the all metal mode), iron audio on, notch out 65 and below. Swings slowly to tease out the high tones. Do not rely on the display numbers. Notching out 65 and below will eliminate the display and sounds of all the pull tabs and foil and other undesirable junk. We are looking for coins, not gold rings.

I wonder why he has iron audio on.

But I did go to my favorite trashy park and those settings worked well.

on youtube dirtfishing indicated these settings for the AT Pro.

Set your AT Pro set on Pro Zero (other detectors in the all metal mode), iron audio on, notch out 65 and below. Swings slowly to tease out the high tones. Do not rely on the display numbers. Notching out 65 and below will eliminate the display and sounds of all the pull tabs and foil and other undesirable junk. We are looking for coins, not gold rings.

I wonder why he has iron audio on.

But I did go to my favorite trashy park and those settings worked well.

Iron audio is left on in this case to help tell bottlecaps from quarters (both ring range of +/- 88), also large iron can ring up high too...bolts, etc. The iron audio helps to give insight on these "high iron" targets as well.

Leaving iron audio on is a sure fire way to drive you bonkers and wear out your ear drums unnecessarily. I understand the theory for leaving it on.....in theory....and in " some " cases but as of yet I have never found a valid case for it in all the trashy ground I have hunted. You can turn on iron audio to check suspected bottle caps , and you are going to hear iron tones or the iron will be discriminated out anyway , so there simply is no point in the densely trashed ground to be hearing all that noise.....which is likely to make you miss a few good targets by drownding them out. Do yourself a favor and leave the iron audio OFF in trashy ground except to check targets.

Relic hunters , etc. like to leave the iron audio on to hear iron they may miss with it off , but if you are planning to pass on those iron targets you just don't need it. And if by chance the iron is masking a coin....knowing the iron is there wont help you get the coin...the iron is everywhere and there is not a coin masked by each piece. Try it both ways , before too long I think you will agree.

If the ground is really trashy it also helps to turn down your sensitivity. In a place like this you may often have multiple targets under the coil or near the detection field , turning the sensitivity down is a way to help avoid some of the target masking/blending going on.

I NEVER use iron audio, but what do I know?

Yep , after a while you get to where you can avoid many bottlecaps and such without it. I use it now and then to check for iron , but there is a lot of people who don't realize iron audio will lie to you at times. A coin close to a piece of iron can at times sound just like a bottle cap with iron audio :shock: So I don't rely on it completely , its just little extra info at times to help make a decision.

Yep , after a while you get to where you can avoid many bottlecaps and such without it. I use it now and then to check for iron , but there is a lot of people who don't realize iron audio will lie to you at times. A coin close to a piece of iron can at times sound just like a bottle cap with iron audio :shock: So I don't rely on it completely , its just little extra info at times to help make a decision.

I was aware of the bottle cap check with iron audio. But I have become adept at mostly recognizing bottle caps by the slightly different sound they make. Coins are crisper unless masked by iron. The park I hunt in is loaded with iron so I will turn the iron audio off. Just wanted to be sure there was not another reason for leaving the iron audio on. The park is a challenge, but with my 5 x 8" coil, I am able to get the coins from among all the other junk. Around the picnic tables I sometimes wonder if it would not be easier to make a sifter out of rabbit wire and just use a shovel and sift out the coins. Just joking, they would toss me out of the park. I am lucky I live near an old park that is very, very popular on the weekends and not many detectorists hunt it. I walk my dog or hunt it every day and rarely see anyone hunting it other that a detectorists friend of mine. Haven't seen him all summer, he does not like to hunt in the Atlanta heat. The park clean up crew thinks I am on their payroll when they see me drop my trash finds in the garbage.

Back
Top Bottom