Hello! From an NJ Newbie

GreyMetal

Hello everyone! I have always been interested in metal detecting but only recently have begun doing research into actually purchasing equipment. Seeing how popular and affordable the ACE 250 is I'm probably going to go with that.

The main question I have has to do with NJ metal detecting specifically. Mainly what rules govern where we can and cannot metal detect in NJ? I so far have only found this post which alludes to the fact that in NJ you cannot detect in forest preserves. Are there any other regulations anyone can tell me about?

Also, as a new player on the scene of metal detecting any kind of advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks for the responses!

Welcome from Kansas. You might want to look at the new line up of Garrett Ace machines. Specifically the 300 and 400. If I can assist call Jerry at Antiques Detectors at 620 856 5190. I am a sponsor on this forum and would be happy to assist you with a purchase.

Hi Jerr-man thanks for the info! I'll definitely give it a look. I notice that the 300 and 400 are of course more expensive than the 250. Can you tell me if there is any significant difference between the three in terms of detecting ability? Can the 300 or 400 anything I can't replicate down the line with a new coil on the 250? Thanks for any response!

Welcome from Morris County, NJ. As far as detecting laws in NJ: I've heard that state and county parks are off-limits unless you have written permission from a Ranger for a specific date and area. This may not be true everywhere. For town parks you can look up rules and regulations on the town website. Of course private property with permission works fine. Good luck and happy hunting.

welcome from the Jersey Shore. State parks are off limits if you are close to sandy hook, dont think about going there as you will be asked to leave maybe even loose the detector. Most other beaches are fair game.

Welcome from PA.
You're reading way more into the "where to hunt" dilemma. Don't let that trouble you. You'll have schools, local parks, beaches, vacant lots, get permission from friends/relatives/work buddies etc to hunt their homes. As time goes by you'll feel way more comfortable about spots to hunt. Take a ride in the country and look for old foundations, abandoned buildings etc. If someone approaches you about detecting the property, be polite and just tell them you didn't realize anyone would mind. More than likely they'll just say, "well.....don't make a mess, but go ahead and have fun". Happens to all of us once in awhile. As you get into this and start to think about "spots" you'll soon have a list of places you want to hunt. If you're diligently looking for areas, you'll find plenty.
As for essential equipment; a good detector, a pro pointer (I strongly prefer the carrot) a Lesch digger and a Sampsom T handle, a junk bag, and a decent equipment belt to hang your bag/digger and junk bag. Take extra batteries for your detector and one for your pointer. That's it. If you're struggling with hunting techniques etc, post a request to get together with an experienced hunter in your area.
This is a fantastic hobby, just jump in and it WILL happen. Think about joining the local club, I think you might be interested in "Tri State Diggers" I joined but soon found out I don't like the club scene, maybe you will. Best of luck. One final word, you will be absolutely amazed at what you are walking on right now. There is $hit everywhere, best get started.

Hey flyguy784. Thanks for that response! That's useful advice. I'm just making sure that I have everything in order before I go and buy the "big purchase", the actual detector. I'm really intrigued with beach detecting so while I've been doing research on locations, and detectors and pin pointers I've been making a scoop out of PVC! I was not going to shill out $120+ for a scoop! It's pretty ugly but in sand will probably do the job just fine. I was thinking of also making a little tutorial to post on this forum of how I went about making it.

I'm glad I found this forum to get helpful advice like the advice you gave me. Thanks again!

Hi Briman05, thanks for your response! I think I'm pretty close to the Spring Lake beach. Have you ever detected there? What are some of your favorite spots or recommended beaches for beginners? I'll understand if you keep the really good locations to yourself ;).

Thanks again for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom