what to check buying a garrett at pro used

OneStudPuppy

Forum Supporter
Ok. I never thought I would be considering this buy.
But I have my birthday coming up and know i have some family
Members who refuse to let my birthday slide. So ill make shopping for em
Easier.

I have lined up a Garrett AT pro lined up at 320.
There may be some accessories. They say bring 400
And I'm thinking a shovel scoop etc. Not sure if pp or not.

But to everyone suggestions other than a cracked or chipped coil
Screen scratches, what else should I be checking and all?
Deal will be going down in under 24 hours..
Is there any special issues which have shown over time?
Software or firmware issues to check ??

I'll keep a eye on this thread like a hawk..
I don't know anyone local to help check it over in person..

I noticed on a few ads people asking when were they made??.
Is there a certain date range I should keep a eye out for and walk away from?

I welcome any and all input on this.
I am thinking of this as only one ill need to buy for years to come.
*(except for three others for my nieces)* but wont be at pros lol

When they first came out several had problems with coils and they falsed...a lot.
Also some were not exactly as waterproof as they were supposed to be.
They were fixed if you sent them back but who says everyone did that?
You never know..this one could have been ok when new but leaked somewhere along the way and was never repaired.

Checking the classifieds on a couple of forum sites higher than $400 seems to be the more common price with one coil, two coils raises the price even more.
$320 means this is a really motivated seller or there is something fishy.

At this price I would only buy it if I could check it out in person first unless I absolutely new this guy had a good track record buying and selling.
If it is a stranger on Craiglist or something like that your family could be throwing away a lot of money on junk.

"If it looks too good to be true...it probably is."

Nothing wrong with the family getting you a visa gift card in my mind.
Could be the bulk of a new/used detector war chest fund that you can spend when the right deal comes along.

Newer models had cam locks on the shaft, and the length of the arm cuff part of the shaft was longer. Check the coil, check the control unit, call Garrett if in doubt, they will verify the SN and give you a date I'm sure. Pull the battery holder and check for corrosion. Turn it on and turn all disc off and swing it quickly in short strokes, see if you can make it false, my first one would false on thick stalks or branches also. That's what I remember about my learning experience when they first came out. They are good detectors, first ones did have issues, I hope this helps.

Newer models had cam locks on the shaft, and the length of the arm cuff part of the shaft was longer. Check the coil, check the control unit, call Garrett if in doubt, they will verify the SN and give you a date I'm sure. Pull the battery holder and check for corrosion. Turn it on and turn all disc off and swing it quickly in short strokes, see if you can make it false, my first one would false on thick stalks or branches also. That's what I remember about my learning experience when they first came out. They are good detectors, first ones did have issues, I hope this helps.

This does help. Cause I'm screwed if there are issues That I miss and I did miss some on my first buy bh qs2 (mode button issues)

When they first came out several had problems with coils and they falsed...a lot.
You never know..this one could have been ok when new but leaked somewhere along the way and was never repaired.

Checking the classifieds on a couple of forum sites higher than $400 seems to be the more common price with one coil, two coils raises the price even more.

At this price I would only buy it if I could check it out in person first unless I absolutely new this guy had a good track record buying and selling.
If it is a stranger on Craiglist or something like that your family could be throwing away a lot of money on junk.

Could be the bulk of a new/used detector war chest fund that you can spend when the right deal comes along.

Yea there is a lot of good points here.
And is there a certain production date of the cut off of ones with issues?
Do they have any production dates on any of the tags??
I wouldn't be able to call Garrett while I'm there because as usual work will
Be in the way and I wont be off until 7pm and then heading to check out the
MD.. And yes would not want to be throwing away money, family works to hard for little as it is..

Now I'm really second guessing this..

Not sure if this picture is enough.
But I don't see cam locks looks more like twist..
(I think cam locks more like bike style flip down handle which gives the tension
Or am I wrong on this type?)
Ok just saw another video where they talk about the can locks and they are the twist ones. This unit shows them in place.
But I'm not 100% sure if these do shownit as a newer at pro
http://metaldetectingforum.com/picture.php?albumid=5463&pictureid=69623

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_448968f174bf47109dddab2f908973f.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_448968f174bf47109dddab2f908973f.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 413
So out of 131 views no one else has Input??
I'm reading each one here refreshing page multiple times a hour

T minus 6, hours

It does have cam locks. those are the round sleeves on the shaft.

Also should check the connectors and cables.

Did the earlier models with the issues have cam locks as well?
Or was that part of the revisions fixing the problems??

And let me say now thank you to all for the input and to any others who input.
I NEVER thought I would spend this for a MD. But if it gets me on land in water under water (10 feet max of course) its EVERYTHING i could picture wanting in a md and dont plan on needing more for my own use..
:D

Just remember buying any water unit used has risks.

And as much as the used ones go for, I'd buy new if I were buying.

Good luck.

Go over it with a fine toothed comb. Make note of the overall condition and check the connectors out. Definitely take it outside and try it out a little. Ask how old it is. Go through the different settings with the buttons. Unfortunately without being familiar with the detector there isn't much more you can do. Its a little risky but that's a good deal if all checks out. After looking it over make note of any obvious flaws and.....ALWAYS offer a little less , they just may say ok. If not its still a good deal if all checks out. Good luck.

And if anything about it makes you nervous at all and you don't feel right about it , just remember , you could get a brand new one with warranty for only $500

Happy birthday to me!!

Happy birthday to me!!!
Well early...
380 with a couple scoops ill post some pics in a bit here.

Back
Top Bottom