1800's COIN DEPTHS?

EmerGency7

Hey :?:I just Started Detecting with a tracker iv and i was WONDERING what is the average depth of:
  1. indian head penny
  2. wheatie
  3. mercury
  4. and others
Because the IV isn't the best depth machine i just was wondering if its still in my playing field?

.... what is the average depth of:

I have a feeling that this is the overwhelming answer you are going to get : No such thing as average, for any date-or-type coin. I've gotten seateds, gold coins, reales, etc.... that were only an inch deep. And I've gotten zinc pennies that were a foot deep . Doh !

About the only place where coin depth is stratified, is in manicured turf. But even that will vary from park to park, in every single location. I know parks where the wheaties and silver tend to start at 3 or 4". And I know other parks where I won't even dig them unless they are 8" or more (lest they're likely to be clad).

And on the beach after storm erosion, there is utterly no rhyme or reason to depth vs age. And in dry terrains (chaparral, desert, cow pasture type stuff), seems like there's no rhyme or reason.

If you're objective is to get old coins, then the "trick" is not always depth. The "trick" is: Location location location. Yes it's good to have high-end power-house machines. But the much bigger part of the formula is: Where you hunt.

The coins are all over the place. Some are deep but the two best that I have found were within 6" from the surface. Both were in unexpected places, 1786 1/2 Reale on a beach path and 1747 KGII in the back yard of a modern 1960's house.

When I first started I had a bounty hunter and found some shallow silver but they were is wilderness type parks with rocky ground and the coins didn't sink much. If it's a park with good soil the coins could get 8-10 inches deep like the ones I was finding this past weekend. They were barely coming in and need a good detector, good ear, and lots of knowledge and experience to find them.

I’m still a beginner in the hobby. A little over a year. My deepest silver is an SLQ and it was at 8”. I’ve found 3 silver 1/2 dollars and the deepest was 4-5” and my first one, 1859 seated, was laying partially exposed on the ground surface. I’ve found 2 1920’s mercs. One near the surface, one 6-7” deep. Silver makes its own tone, you know when you’re over it. If you can make a silver test garden. It should help you figure it out.

last week I dug a coin at about 14". I was so excited that it had to be a good one being so deep. I cleaned the dirt off to reveal a state quarter. A few days later I dug an early copper that was 3" deep at the most. You can never tell what your gonna get at any depth.

I have a feeling that this is the overwhelming answer you are going to get : No such thing as average, for any date-or-type coin. I've gotten seateds, gold coins, reales, etc.... that were only an inch deep. And I've gotten zinc pennies that were a foot deep . Doh !

About the only place where coin depth is stratified, is in manicured turf. But even that will vary from park to park, in every single location. I know parks where the wheaties and silver tend to start at 3 or 4". And I know other parks where I won't even dig them unless they are 8" or more (lest they're likely to be clad).

And on the beach after storm erosion, there is utterly no rhyme or reason to depth vs age. And in dry terrains (chaparral, desert, cow pasture type stuff), seems like there's no rhyme or reason.

If you're objective is to get old coins, then the "trick" is not always depth. The "trick" is: Location location location. Yes it's good to have high-end power-house machines. But the much bigger part of the formula is: Where you hunt.

Exactally

I once found a SLQ in a city strip next to a park while metal detecting. I spotted an almost black circle on the ground with my eyes, and bent over and picked it up. It was so tarnished it was black. It was also where rain had washed away the dirt. Wind can also expose coins. Hunt old places to find old things.
HH everyone

it totally depends on your soil structure. In a flood plain they can disappear under many feet of sand.

in hardpan in the desert maybe 1/2" or less.

Back
Top Bottom