My first day at metal detecting

German

Well. I spent last weekend studying metal detectors, since I decided to give it a try as a hobby and because I bought this old house on a large plot in Germany.

The result of all the studying was to buy a cheap Chinese MD, the 3009ii model as it is called. It was available on Ebay brand new for Euro 45,90. Do not laugh at this decision ;) After all the research I came to the conclusion that I should buy Equinox 800 but it was way more expensive than I was planing for, since I am new at this and have no idea if I will like doing this or not I think it is a bit too much to spend almost 1000 euros just to try.

Anyway, the cheap 3009ii chinese MD arrived today. I signed for it and went upstairs to unpack and assemble. I was very surprised when I open the box and saw that what I ordered and payed for was not inside it, but another model, the 1023. I was actually looking for that one since I had seen some very positive youtube videos about that model. But it is older and I did not find it on ebay here in Germany so settled for the other one. This is the first time I do not get what I order when using Ebay but I am not complaining but very happy to get what I wanted instead of what I ordered ;)

The next thing I did was to put this thing together and put some batteries inside and check if it worked ;) It did and out I went for awhile until a rain shower pushed me back inside the house. While it was raining I read the manual. In about an hour I was out again and with the sensitivity and disc settings somewhere around middle I started searching. And now I have unearthed my first nail and first bottle cap ;) And some other stuff. The most interesting find of the day seems to be an old Roman coin from between year AD 271 and AD 326 according to online roman coin info website.

So this has been a very pleasant day and now I think I am already hooked on this hobby ;) Hope the Equinox 800 will be available near Christmas ;)

Attachments

• WP_20181024_18_20_38_Raw.jpg
    WP_20181024_18_20_38_Raw.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 337
A Roman coin?!! Yeah, I'd say you're off to a good start! Read the manual several times, get out there and dig everything until you get more of an idea what the machine is telling you. We look forward to seeing what more history you find.

You might gain a couple inches of depth with a more expensive machine, but if your'e digging your own yard for relics and digging everything that beeps a cheap detector will work great. The only advantage my ATPro has over the bounty hunter is being able to guess trash from coins, but if it's Roman trash I'd want to dig it anyway.
I really enjoyed my time stationed in Frankfurt back in the 80's.

Welcome from Kansas and Antiques Detectors. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
It doesn't matter WHICH machine you are using , you just need to figure out what it is telling you. Eventually, you will quit digging as much trash and go straight to TREASURES. lol. Congratulations on your finds, look forward to seeing more of them.

Thanks guys.

I was out again for couple of hours today digging. No interesting finds today. But you are right, it is important to learn the detector and understand what it is saying. I am setting the sensitivity a bit higher today than yesterday, ca. 7 (out of 10) and that brings up more iron junk, even with disc at similar setting. But the iron pieces are quite big so I guess this detector is more counting out the small iron on the disc setting but beeping on the bigger parts. This is a two tone detector and the manual says that as the sensitivity is set higher the more difficult it is for the disc to ignore the junk. That seems pretty accurate info so far.

As stated above, take the time to learn what the machine is saying. Large iron cannot be completely discriminated out as it overloads the detector. The higher the sensitivity the less likely the iron is discriminated. Where this is your property, there is no real issue with digging up the larger iron and who knows what was left behind! If there was one Roman coin, that shows that people were there for nearly 2000 years! Good luck and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom