One big thing I like about Equinox

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Ok, I only have one criticism of the Garrett AT Pro. I loved the machine, but really had problems with the water proof coil connector when changing coils. No it never leaked, but it was a real task to get those darn pins lined up so you would not bend them before you screwed the conector in. Ear phones were not much better.

In comparison on the Equinox, you just gently rotate the plug until the little notch and grove line up and boom, you just start screwing in the coil plug. Can even do in the dark. On the AT Pro I had to juggle a small LED light, the plug and the control unit in the LED light or bright sunlight to get them lined up. It usually took multiple tries before I got them lined up properly. I actually did bend one of the pins once and had to use very small needle nosed pliers to straighten the bent pin.

I know it might not seem a big problem to most, but I always thought there had to be a better solution and I found that Minelab had it on the Equinox series. I wonder do all Minelab models have this same type of easy to use connector? You would have to be an AT Pro user to know exactly what I am talking about.

Last edited:
I agree that is a stupid design for a plug. They refuse to make a short cable to plug in that would make it easier to change coils.

Hey! You are right there Max! Making these kinds of observations about the Pro! Besides those goofy cable connections, The damn thing has all sorts of other design flaws and drawbacks! An Unreal amount as if they were intentionally designed flaws and trouble areas were considered!...We all spent years talking about this stuff! Could go on and on! But,

The damn thing for some unknown reason, just simply hunts the hell out of so many genres in this Sport!..Gold, Silver, Clad, Relics...the damn thing just hunts and finds for some reason! Produces many Lifetime finds! I dont like it, or understand it but what can I do?...the damn thing just delivers!....

Its fussed up 6 ways from Sunday on a lot of design flaws..yet the damn thing delivers! Its an anomaly... It Just slap lays it out there and performs in the field....

I hear you though..I'm looking hard at the NOX 800 as soon as a few more reports come in...thats what happened when the Pro was introduced, I held back and read the findings, its all about the findings!......sooner or later, a guy could not argue with the In field results.......

Attachments

• nov 21-15.jpg
    nov 21-15.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 323
  • sept 8 13-2.jpg
    sept 8 13-2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 331
  • oct 6-16-3.jpg
    oct 6-16-3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 334
Ok, I only have one criticism of the Garrett AT Pro. I loved the machine, but really had problems with the water proof coil connector when changing coils. No it never leaked, but it was a real task to get those darn pins lined up so you would not bend them before you screwed the conector in. Ear phones were not much better.

In comparison on the Equinox, you just gently rotate the plug until the little notch and grove line up and boom, you just start screwing in the coil plug. Can even do in the dark. On the AT Pro I had to juggle a small LED light, the plug and the control unit in the LED light or bright sunlight to get them lined up. It usually took multiple tries before I got them lined up properly. I actually did bend one of the pins once and had to use very small needle nosed pliers to straighten the bent pin.

I know it might not seem a big problem to most, but I always thought there had to be a better solution and I found that Minelab had it on the Equinox series. I wonder do all Minelab models have this same type of easy to use connector? You would have to be an AT Pro user to know exactly what I am talking about.

I don't change my Garrett coil 5by8 but it is tough to line up a bit when I do. Anyhow my Pro has been sitting in my closet since the Nox arrived.

Hey! You are right there Max! Making these kinds of observations about the Pro! Besides those goofy cable connections, The damn thing has all sorts of other design flaws and drawbacks! An Unreal amount as if they were intentionally designed flaws and trouble areas were considered!...We all spent years talking about this stuff! Could go on and on! But,

The damn thing for some unknown reason, just simply hunts the hell out of so many genres in this Sport!..Gold, Silver, Clad, Relics...the damn thing just hunts and finds for some reason! Produces many Lifetime finds! I dont like it, or understand it but what can I do?...the damn thing just delivers!....

Its fussed up 6 ways from Sunday on a lot of design flaws..yet the damn thing delivers! Its an anomaly... It Just slap lays it out there and performs in the field....

I hear you though..I'm looking hard at the NOX 800 as soon as a few more reports come in...thats what happened when the Pro was introduced, I held back and read the findings, its all about the findings!......sooner or later, a guy could not argue with the In field results.......

That’s a gold log chain.

Mud Puppy, I agree with you on waiting in most cases. I think the AT Pro had been out a few years before I bought it and read lots of good reviews. However, I broke my rule on the 800. Got one early and figure I would just sell it if I didn't like it since when I got mine there was still a long, long wait for the 800.

It has taken me some time to learn the 800 but I feel I am getting there. Went out in park today that has never produced silver for me and found 1966 and 1965 quarter. Getting close to 1964 and below. They were about 5" deep and gave a rock solid signal. I have a strong feeling that the park still has some silver. I have talked to about five guys who have hunted the park and never found silver.

Mud Puppy, I agree with you on waiting in most cases. I think the AT Pro had been out a few years before I bought it and read lots of good reviews. However, I broke my rule on the 800. Got one early and figure I would just sell it if I didn't like it since when I got mine there was still a long, long wait for the 800.

It has taken me some time to learn the 800 but I feel I am getting there. Went out in park today that has never produced silver for me and found 1966 and 1965 quarter. Getting close to 1964 and below. They were about 5" deep and gave a rock solid signal. I have a strong feeling that the park still has some silver. I have talked to about five guys who have hunted the park and never found silver.

1900 O Barber dime found in that park. https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=212844&highlight=1900+barber+dime Also know of a silver being found in the creek behind the soccer field. If you hunt long and hard enough maybe you'll find some silver there. Good luck!

Last edited:
Sandy,

yeah, I figure there has to be some silver in the park. I remember you telling me about the barber dime in the soccer field adjacent to the park. It is nearby so why not try and learn the 800 at a park close by.

Hunted a lot in Simpsonwood Park, near the park but just metal farm implements and metal mule and horse buckles and parts of a top of an old wood stove and some assorted clad along the trails.

Back
Top Bottom