MD Friendly Locations near Apex/Cary/Raleigh

DignApex

Hi! I'm new to metal detecting and I was wondering if anyone could suggest locations near either Apex, Cary or Raleigh, NC that I could visit to start enjoying my new hobby. Maybe even Chapel Hill.

:welcome2: from Durham County.

As for the request for hunting locations goes, the research that goes into finding a hunting spot is one of the things that most of us enjoy about the hobby. If you search the forum you'll find some good threads pertaining to how to start your research.

While you're doing that research spend time hunting your own yard. When you've learned your detector well enough to stop digging 99.9% trash and you can dig a plug in your own yard that doesn't make you want to kick yourself then you'll be ready to branch out into other folks properties.

Apex has a lot of older homes around so once you're ready you should be able to find numerous places to hunt.

Ditto on the above.

I know your question is asked with good intentions and naivete but it's unlikely that people will help you directly with locations unless it's a large, public park. Think of it this way, ask your buddy to tell you where his secret fishing spot is that took years to find and usually produces good catches.

Research is the answer.

Start here:

www.historicmapworks.com
www.historicaerials.com
www.oldhousedreams.com
www.arcadiapublishing.com

Then check out your local historical society.

Talk to anybody you can who has knowledge about your area. Asking someone 80+ what swimming holes they went to in their youth will put you on the trail of silver coins. The research opportunities are endless. Use the search tool in this website to find threads on....research.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom