NYS State Forests and the DEC

ollievon

Elite Member
Hey all, was out with my father this weekend on his property (it's open season on wild turkeys here in Upstate NY); on the way back to the truck a Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) police officer drives by and asked to see hunting permits - my dad does and then he asks me what I was doing - I told him I was off metal detecting on the property, which was private property and the officer was interested and asked if I found anything good.

After a bit of chit chatting about the hobby, which he seemed genuinely interested in, I inquired about MD'ing in state forests - especially since that's the area he patrols and enforces various laws about.

He smirked and asked me where I was thinking of going and I told him, then he confirmed that there were indeed about 4 old stone foundations, however....they were off limits to metal detecting, sadly. He was good about explaining the law and actually showing me where it was written - he was not a jerk and agreed it was unfortunate that MD enthusiasts couldn't enjoy the same spot as hunters, hikers, etc. But, the law is the law.

So, for those of you who live in New York State, not just state parks are off limits, so are ANY state forests - he said you will get arrested and there is a $500 fine, yikes. He did say, most likely if it is a first offense you would get off with a warning (although, he said it depends on what officer is catching you); if you have been cited prior, it's a very big deal.

Just food for thought before you decide to check out a NYS State park with the best of intentions; sorry guys.

Thanks for the post , if you can post the law he was quoting from . I know NYS has us screwed with the 50 yr antique and park laws , I thought state forest were ok . Some state parks like Evangola allow Md with a permit during off season .
HH

Just about all the State Parks allow MD OFF SEASON......WITH PERMIT...I know where I am it is for the ( Beach areas only ) Usually $15 for three parks. As far as Ive been told at those offices over the years any other STATE land is off limits as it has been for some time.....NYS is the armpit of the US.

The NYS permit to MD is a scam - I called the main office at Thatcher Park since there is a portion of the park - totally undeveloped - with a number of old home sites, I asked about detecting and they said it off limits - however, for $15 I could get a permit to detect the beach at Thompson's Lake...but only after the season (October and November) and only the beach, no campsites - pretty lame.

Yes, NYS is probably one of the most restrictive places to live in the country - high taxes and very few freedoms.

Below is the link for the dorky NYS metal detecting application - for NYS parks only.

Please notice the 8 bullet points of "no fun for you!" if you decide to pay for this restrictive license, a total NYS scam as usual.

Curious about #1 - "The permittee shall not disturb other park patrons or interfere with their activities"

Does this also go the other way as well - park patrons can't interfere with asking me stupid questions or disturbing my MD Zen?

Gotta love #4 - "Under section 252 of the Personal Property Law, all personal property of the value of ten dollars ($10.00) or more shall be returned to the owner or deposited with the Park Police."

Translation = Hey MD guy, find a gold ring? Don't get too excited, give it here! Cuz, it's going to the park cops wife later when he gets home..or perhaps the local pawn shop.

l love #6 - "This permit does not authorize the excavation of archeological objects. Any archeological objects located by the permittee shall be deposited with Park Employees."

Translation = Hey MD guy, if you're heart skipped a beat with that find, it's probably from shock that you can't keep it; give it here! Don't worry, we'll take that 1916D Barber Dime and run it right over to the NYS Museum ASAP, ok, b-bye now!

http://nysparks.com/inside-our-agency/documents/Permits/MetalDetectorApplicationAndPermit.pdf

I wouldn't waste any money on this license.

You have to love this state and its over restrictive laws about everything.

Ollievon you wouldn't happen to have a link to the section of the law the ranger was pointing out to you would you? I would be interested to actually read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below is the link for the dorky NYS metal detecting application - for NYS parks only.

Please notice the 8 bullet points of "no fun for you!" if you decide to pay for this restrictive license, a total NYS scam as usual.

Curious about #1 - "The permittee shall not disturb other park patrons or interfere with their activities"

Does this also go the other way as well - park patrons can't interfere with asking me stupid questions or disturbing my MD Zen?

Gotta love #4 - "Under section 252 of the Personal Property Law, all personal property of the value of ten dollars ($10.00) or more shall be returned to the owner or deposited with the Park Police."

Translation = Hey MD guy, find a gold ring? Don't get too excited, give it here! Cuz, it's going to the park cops wife later when he gets home..or perhaps the local pawn shop.

l love #6 - "This permit does not authorize the excavation of archeological objects. Any archeological objects located by the permittee shall be deposited with Park Employees."

Translation = Hey MD guy, if you're heart skipped a beat with that find, it's probably from shock that you can't keep it; give it here! Don't worry, we'll take that 1916D Barber Dime and run it right over to the NYS Museum ASAP, ok, b-bye now!

http://nysparks.com/inside-our-agency/documents/Permits/MetalDetectorApplicationAndPermit.pdf

I wouldn't waste any money on this license.

This is why if ever asked at any state park beach Ive detected Ive always said nothing but junk. I will say that I have been to Moreau, Grafton & Cherry Plains after season. At each park I did take notice that the State Park Police were watching from a distance. Especially Grafton. Kinda parked in the woods watching the beach area. Mind you the beach is closed for the season so you know that their watching you....I never found anything great and its not even worth $15 to this !!!! hole of a state.

You have to love this state and its over restrictive laws about everything.

Ollievon you wouldn't happen to have a link to the section of the law the ranger was pointing out to you would you? I would be interested to actually read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The law, as far as antiquities goes, is actually part of nys education law. Go figure. But that's where you ll find it.

Back
Top Bottom