Rules and Laws

Wally Ballou

Hi Folks,

I realize his may have be discussed in other areas, and I have looked, but I "still haven't found what I am looking for".

I am a newbie, and the rules and laws covering this hobby appear a bit intimidating. It seems like I could be arrested or charged with a felony in so many places that I might just end up looking only in my backyard.

I do see many videos and stories of successful hunts, so I know I am probably being a bit paranoid, but here in NY we seem to have laws about anything that you can pull out of the ground. I have looked up all the rules I could find, and I have applied for the proper permits. I realize that I can stick to private property, but that is very limiting.

Am I over-reacting? Thanks for any insight.

Wally B

Fortunately, in America, if you don't like the law, you can work to change them. If hobbies were too easy, they would but much fun for long. Unless it's private property, historical, government property, you probably won't get into trouble, asked to leave, or given a warning. Be aware of where you are hunting, and best to avoid places that will get you into trouble. They may not have the words 'metal detecting' in the rules, but you want to dig up the target, and that might not go over too well. Lots of people on the west coast, 'Run Silently', which is basically hunting at night, hidden in darkness. Most of the people out at night, aren't going to call attention to themselves, since they don't want to talk to the police either, just buy/sell drugs, pimp/prostitute, rob people...

I've never been to NY, but there should be plenty of places to hunt safely, openly, completely legal.

wally, you say:

....the rules and laws covering this hobby appear a bit intimidating. It seems like I could be arrested or charged with a felony in so many places that I might just end up looking only in my backyard....

This is the conclusion some persons could come away with, when reading various forums and posts, isn't it ?? I mean, the way some posters talk, there are arrests, confiscations, jail, etc.... "certain to be waiting" behind every tree. :roll:

But then you also say this:

.... I do see many videos and stories of successful hunts, so I know I am probably being a bit paranoid...

By that I infer that you see many posts of people hitting beaches, parks, schools, forests, etc... Therefore how can it be so ominous and dangerous? haha And, no, it's not that in each of those cases those persons went and had an express allowance, or asked "can I?". If you quizzed each of them on "did they ask permission" they'd probably look at you like you were from outer-space.

It's just human psychology at play. It's called "projection". The minute you or I read a single scary story from some far away place (a booting, a ticket, a confiscation, etc...) it's only natural that we become up-in-arms. Thinking "oh no, I wonder if there's legal issues lurking near me??". Then the self-fulfilling vicious loop kicks in: Those persons who read a scary story, do the obvious knee-jerk reaction: Go to their own locale (county, city, state, etc...) and start asking "can I?" (afterall, you can't be too safe, right?). They get ominous answers and odd-ball stuff morphed to say "no" to their pressing question (the "safe" answer). And often in places where no one ever had a problem before! So their newest latest "no", gets put into scary posts and stories, thus leading to even MORE people asking. See the vicious loop?

So look: Look up rules/laws/codes for yourself. If you see nothing there that says "no metal detectors", then presto, it's not prohibited. Just keep a low profile at low traffic times (detectors have connotations afterall). Avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. Beyond that, yes, I think you're worrying too much.

If there's a specific type locale (a certain type federal, or a certain individual state's park), post the specific Q. If it's for city or county level, all such entities rules/laws are posted somewhere for public viewing. But personally, most persons wouldn't even worry/bother themselves that much. And would infer that if it's not on the wooden sign at the park entrance, then .... well, so be it.

... you want to dig up the target, and that might not go over too well.....

Harvey, if you worry that digging up targets "might not go over too well", then I'm afraid you've chosen the wrong hobby. SURE! You're right: Some passerby may not like you "digging up a target". :roll: Granted. So at some point, you have to ask yourself: If this concept really bugs you, then .... why oh why oh why did you ever get into metal detecting? Didn't it occur to you that you might be digging up targets ? :?:

And sure, you can try to go get bureaucrats to "allow" you to "dig" up targets. When you go there to get that permission, be sure to show up with a shovel in your hand, with generous usage of words like "holes", "dig" ,and "lawsuit" (lest they not understand the full implications of your question).

I mean, seriously now.........

One bright spot, tho'

Hi Folks,

I do have one exciting prospect, though. On March 21 I am flying to a family get together in Ireland. Our kin are selling our ancestral home in Bodyke (sp?); it's been in the family for about 200 years. I have permission to work the property, and as far as I know, nobody has done that yet. So it should be exciting, and a good first experience.

Wally

Wally, Google Metal Detecting Clubs in your local area. Attend some meetings and talk with those who havd been doing this for years. Welcome to the hobby, sport Metal Detecting.

Back
Top Bottom