X-Terra 705

rvenneman

I have decided on the X-Terra 705 as an all-around MD. Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

I have decided on the X-Terra 705 as an all-around MD. Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

I think you did great. I do not think there is a better detector in the 600 dollar or even 800 dollar range. If you need advise Im getting pretty good with mine. Longhair has one and a lot of others have them and have more detecting skill. Good Luck!!
Cliff

Someone should make a full featured mid range detector with a nice coil lineup and a waterproof housing.

Someone does....Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold.
He said a full featured detector, not toys. :lol:

Actually, there has been some talk. I personally have been after Minelab to make an Xterra that is waterproof and has Fe/Co numbers, sort of like a "CTX-Terra". With the advent of the CTX they have the ability to integrate all of the necessary existing components, and it could be done somewhere in the $1k-$1200 range. They will likely come out with another FBS2 machine in the not too distant future, and it will probably be a "cut-down" version of the CTX, so who knows.....time will tell.

He said a full featured detector, not toys. :lol:

Actually, there has been some talk. I personally have been after Minelab to make an Xterra that is waterproof and has Fe/Co numbers, sort of like a "CTX-Terra". With the advent of the CTX they have the ability to integrate all of the necessary existing components, and it could be done somewhere in the $1k-$1200 range. They will likely come out with another FBS2 machine in the not too distant future, and it will probably be a "cut-down" version of the CTX, so who knows.....time will tell.

Well I don't think they are toys. I still went with the X-terra 705 but the fact that the AT Pro is waterproof almost stole my business from Minelab. I think Minelab needs to come in at the 700 dollar range with a waterproof unit or people will still just flock to the AT Pro's. They should just waterproof the 705 and sell it at the same price. I think then they would see a huge increase in sales.

Well I don't think they are toys. I still went with the X-terra 705 but the fact that the AT Pro is waterproof almost stole my business from Minelab. I think Minelab needs to come in at the 700 dollar range with a waterproof unit or people will still just flock to the AT Pro's. They should just waterproof the 705 and sell it at the same price. I think then they would see a huge increase in sales.
That's not going to happen.
Minelab isn't in the business of "entry Level" machines, nor competing with Garrett for their part of the market. The Xterra 305 @ $399 MAP being a two frequency able machine and the lowest end Minelab, and the fact that you have to spend more money on an ATP to rival it in a Garrett machine is evidence of where they're comming from. And the reality is, that a good 50% of ATP's won't ever get submersed, so those that are "flocking" to them aren't even doing so for any practical reason, and are likely only drawn to them because of TV show hype and fantasy.

ML already produces two waterproof machines, one of which you can actually dive with, so it's entirely possible that we won't see another water capable machine from them. An upgraded model Xterra is possible, and so is a pared down CTX, but in all likelyhood the next FBS2 machine will not have GPS, may not be wireless, and might not be a water machine even though the current FBS2 coils have waterproof connectors.

Personally, I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on a 305 to waterproof. If one turns up I'll give ATP users fits, and I won't have near the $ tied up.

The only detector I would ever replace my 705 with would be the ctx. I was going to go with the etrac or safari but I get just as deep with my 15" coil on my 705. The more I use my coils the more I find. It is like getting a new detector everytime I change coils.

That's not going to happen.
Minelab isn't in the business of "entry Level" machines, nor competing with Garrett for their part of the market. The Xterra 305 @ $399 MAP being a two frequency able machine and the lowest end Minelab, and the fact that you have to spend more money on an ATP to rival it in a Garrett machine is evidence of where they're comming from. And the reality is, that a good 50% of ATP's won't ever get submersed, so those that are "flocking" to them aren't even doing so for any practical reason, and are likely only drawn to them because of TV show hype and fantasy.

ML already produces two waterproof machines, one of which you can actually dive with, so it's entirely possible that we won't see another water capable machine from them. An upgraded model Xterra is possible, and so is a pared down CTX, but in all likelyhood the next FBS2 machine will not have GPS, may not be wireless, and might not be a water machine even though the current FBS2 coils have waterproof connectors.

Personally, I'm keeping my eyes open for a deal on a 305 to waterproof. If one turns up I'll give ATP users fits, and I won't have near the $ tied up.

Based on the number of newbies who come on here with questions about their Etrac, one could almost call IT an "entry level" machine. ;)

Based on the number of newbies who come on here with questions about their Etrac, one could almost call IT an "entry level" machine. ;)
:laughing: Really??? Look at what brand has the most operational questions asked about their products.....it isn't Minelab.

:roll:It's definitely not the MD that is entry level,sometimes it's the owner. No disrespect to any E-trac owners. There are alot of E-trac owners that have never owned a MD before. Guys I know that have MD'ed for years even experience a learning cuve with that machine but rightly so; the E-trac shows the user alot of information that is of course useful but not until you understand that information.
Believe me, the AT Pro is much closer to being an "entry level" machine. Come back when the AT pro becomes capable of hunting in more than one frequency.
The E-trac is just that ,an E-trac. On the other hand, the AT Pro is just a slightly modified, waterproof ACE 350.:yes:

:roll:It's definitely not the MD that is entry level,sometimes it's the owner. No disrespect to any E-trac owners. There are alot of E-trac owners that have never owned a MD before. Guys I know that have MD'ed for years even experience a learning cuve with that machine but rightly so; the E-trac shows the user alot of information that is of course useful but not until you understand that information.
Believe me, the AT Pro is much closer to being an "entry level" machine. Come back when the AT pro becomes capable of hunting in more than one frequency.
The E-trac is just that ,an E-trac. On the other hand, the AT Pro is just a slightly modified, waterproof ACE 350.:yes:
Next thing you know there will be a couple of goofballs on TV swinging a AT Pro :roll:.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 453
  • cry-cute-funeral-funny-lol-orange-juice-Favim.com-43171.jpg
    cry-cute-funeral-funny-lol-orange-juice-Favim.com-43171.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 427
I'm a newbie at detecting and after months of researching, reading, watching videos and asking tons of questions I went with the X-Tera 705. I almost went with the AT Pro only because of the price point, but after weighing functionality and versatility of use, the X-Terra won hands down for me. To be honest, the tones of the X-Terra are much nicer than the beep of the AT Pro. I always use four tones. I'm not used to the 99 tones yet. The X-Terra has three different pinpoint modes, three different frequencies to choose from and as a midrange metal detector, it can't be beat. THis is solely my opinion, though. I was hunting under huge power lines the other day and it stayed nice and stable, absolutely no chatter and I was at sensitivity 27. I haven't been metal detecting for long, but all i can say is that I'm happy with my purchase.

:laughing: Really??? Look at what brand has the most operational questions asked about their products.....it isn't Minelab.

Not meant as a Etrac bash but more of an observation at the number of first time buyers who go for the top of the line. I intend on owning an Etrac someday. When I do I'll go over all the places I've hunted with the ATP and pull out the deeper stuff.

I watched the minelab video on the 705. It stated that the 705 is the top of the entry level machines. With that said, the features it has is superior to some mid level machines. I respect your choice and now say get out there and find something. Congrats on the new machine

Back
Top Bottom