The Lost Tools

HEM

Forum Supporter
Here are some tools we use when we go treasure hunting and metal detecting. Most of them are made by us, the pics are not complete and more tools (folding spade, stainless scope, find bags, digging tools for Hem & Joan and a carring case for the Tesoro Cibola) are on their way in our work shop. enjoy

Attachments

• CRIM0011.JPG
    CRIM0011.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,481
  • CRIM0012.JPG
    CRIM0012.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,706
  • CRIM0008.JPG
    CRIM0008.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,665
  • CRIM0007.JPG
    CRIM0007.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,702
And here you have Fabrice personal digging tool, made of spring steel, very tough in hard soil, it shattered a rock last sunday with only one strick... The handle is made of a piece of 10 mm mild steel rod which is welded to a piece of metal pipe and a piece of black high pressure pipe is fitted on it for firm grip.

Attachments

• 100-0005.JPG
    100-0005.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,629
And this one is Mustaqeem's personal digging tools. It is made of stainless steel, you will notice at the end of the handle there is a plastic cap, as the handle is hollow he use it to keep his good finds with some cotton inside :) . Works find in dry sand and most average soils, cuts roots with ease...

Attachments

• 100-0060.JPG
    100-0060.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,625
MAN..........That's quite an arsenal you have there. All kinds of weapons of mass distruction.

Are you going detecting or to a war... :shock:

J/K

Actually, those are nice tools. I especially like the shovels. They look tough! They seem like they can hold their own when the ground starts to freeze.

You got me beat, thats for sure. I have to say that you have some very interesting tools. I like the last one with storage in the handle. I will have to make me something like that. I must say tho, if I ever have to use a rope with my detector. I'm in trouble. Do you look for gold? I can see needing a rope if you want to get into washout areas or something like that.

As far as we know, no one has ever found gold in Mauritius... only treasures thats for sure. Mauritius is a wonderful island, we like to compair it to Bahamas and Carabbean. During the 18th century it has been the nest of pirates and corsairs, the most famous corsairs are Lememe, Hodoul, Malroux, Le Vaillant, Dutertre and Robert Surcouf ( one of Surcouf descendants, his grand grand grand son came back to Mauritius in october 1987 to collect the treasure of his ancestor :) and the most famous pirates is La Buse ( when he was hang in 7th july 1730 in R?union island, he throw his treasure map to the crowd saying " the one who can read this, will find my TREASURES" . On the net you can find this treasure map, for me it looks more like a cryptogram. Between 1793 and 1802, 119 prizes were taken and the booty captured was estimated to have been worth 2 1/2 pounds (official estimation....).

There are more facts like that and more mysteries to be solve. So this is really a small arsenal compare to the huge amount of research to perform on the field. Some of the tools are back ups, but you never no if you will have to climb up a mountain or go down a cliff to look for the Corsairs' treasure. The metal detector is only a new gear in our arsenal and you will be amaze to see its carrying case...

Here are some links of Mauritius history and a picture of La Buse Cyrptogram
( I wanted to add the web site link but it was in french, at the bottom of the cyrptogram it is said " crytogram of Forban, found on Mahe island (Seychelles Island). This is a coded message, thrown to the crowd by the pirate La Buse when walking up to the hanging stage. this reveal the location of his treasures (ph. Bible. Nat). A. the cryptorgram of la Buse ". Enjoy

Attachments

• crypto1.jpg
    crypto1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,804
"TREASURE HUNTING IN MAURITIUS

Mauritius does not have a great trove of antiques and artefacts to show for its 350 years of settled history. Old buildings have been torn down by people and cyclones or allowed to disintegrate as they become too expensive to maintain. The furniture and collectibles have been plundered by the more appreciative (and wealthier) French from Reunion and shipped away to grace homes there. Its history survives in the flagged streets and cobbled roads of Port Louis ( where they haven’t been tarred over), behind the shuttered louvres of French colonial mansions, and in the wide walls of Victorian warehouses now turned into Chinese grocery stores.

TREASURE:

In October 1987, a Frenchman arrived in Mauritius on board a vessel equipped for underwater exploration. He announced he was leading an expedition to locate wrecks of the 16th and 17th centuries and that he intended to prepare a marine archaeological map of them to present to the government.

Since his name was Eric Surcouf and he confessed to being a descendant of the celebrated corsair, Robert Surcouf, Mauritians assumed a treasure hunt was underway. Surcouf’s purpose, he said, was to recover what is in the wreck he located and donate it to form a marine museum in the island. For Mauritians , the name of Surcouf and treasure are inseparable.

Robert Surcouf was real, the most famous corsair of his time; his treasure remains a legend. From 1793 to 1802, a total of 119 prizes were brought into Port Louis by corsairs. The booty was valued at 2,500,000; most of it was traded with neutral ships. However, in 1799, Surcouf captured the East Indiaman Kent, a large vessel of 1000,200 tons. Legend insist he dumped his rich haul of treasure from the Kent somewhere in the vicinity of Port Louis harbour, rather than hand it over to the French.

If Surcouf and his fellow corsairs (pirates) did leave treasure on the sea bed or buried on shore, no one has admitted to finding any. Nevertheless, wrecks abound and relics have been retrieved from the reef - fringed lagoon.

The site of the wreck of the St Geran, a vessel of the French East India Company which sank near the Ile de Ambre (Amber Isle) in 1744, was known by local fisherman in 1966. By the time marine archaeologists explored it scientifically in 1979, it had been stripped. Perhaps treasure was taken too. Its bell is in the navel museum at Mahebourg. ( The wreck of the vessel forms the climax of Saint Pierre’s novel, Paul et Virginie).

In the late 1960s, a treasure hunter spent years trying to find some 10 million pounds of corsair’s treasure supposedly buried near Tombeau Bay. Rumours persist and some old Franco-Mauritian families are said to have maps....

In my early tread i made a mistake "the booty captured was estimated to have been worth 2 1/2 pounds " in fact it 2 1/2 million pound :))))

And canons and pistols

Attachments

• PISTOL.JPG
    PISTOL.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,430
  • CHINESE PORCELAINS.jpg
    CHINESE PORCELAINS.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,511
  • LE COUREUR 4.jpg
    LE COUREUR 4.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,650
  • CANONS.JPG
    CANONS.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,535
Wow,very nice. Thanks for all the interesting history. I look forward to reading about some of your adventures on Mauritius island. I will have to look it up on a map. Welcome aboard. And thanks again for the history. Very interesting.

Here are some tools we use when we go treasure hunting and metal detecting. Most of them are made by us, the pics are not complete and more tools (folding spade, stainless scope, find bags, digging tools for Hem & Joan and a carring case for the Tesoro Cibola) are on their way in our work shop. enjoy

Hi HEM

I like the tool to the far right in the last photo. Kind'a reminds me of the old homemade knife that I use. It's a broad blade tungsten with a hand made hickory handle.
I've seen some on e-bay but never saw any that interested me much until yesterday. I got my eye on this one-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=260112135343&rd=1&rd=1

Very similar to yours.

Thanks for the pics!

Hem,

From the Picture's and remark's and all the historic information you've given you on a "gold Mine". I would search until my heart's content. You have found a great Island to hunt. I would hunt until I couldn't hunt anymore.

Rhubarb

You are right Rhubarb... Many treasure hunters in the past came here, most of them spend huge amounts of money, others went bankrupt and some were lucky. I have this anecdote that I wish to share to you all :-
Seychelles 1947, an english man in the name Reginald Cruise-Wilkinsof was very ill (malaria), his doctors advised him to come to Seychelles to be cured, but there, his destiny would bring him closer to the treasure and the famous cryptogram of la Buse the pirate.At first, he also though like many that it was a joke, not until he found the famous cryptogram. He started studying the cryptogram and dig most area of Mahe, Many people thought he was crazy.He knew he will not live long enough end this great adventure, he enroll his son John Cruise-Wilkins with him. Reginald died in 1977. The only relics he had find in this long quest was a broken blade, some coins, an old gun. He had send 30 000 pounds and many years of harsh research. Fortunatly for his son, a wealthy amercain delieve in him and his quest. They are convince that the pirate had buried his treasure during low tide. Many clues have guide them to the treasure. I don't know if they found the treasure(s) , but one thing is for sure many people tried...
Here is a link for those who want to learn more about La Buse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Levasseur

Attachments

• la-buse-chantier-gf.jpg
    la-buse-chantier-gf.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,572
  • la-buse-wilkins-gf.jpg
    la-buse-wilkins-gf.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,709
  • pierre.jpg
    pierre.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,021
Dang, that's a lot of history and treasure for such a small place! It almost seems like you would be stubbing your toe on something good everytime you turned around.
Happy hunting, and definitely keep us posted!

Thank you HEM

for all you presented to us. It is the kind of stuff a lot of detectors dream about. I want to wecome you to the forum, and will be looking forward to your posts. Right now, I am off to Google Earth to find Mauritius...:wow:
Gil in sunny Florida.

Back
Top Bottom