First Dollar Coin, but . . . .

1960DPenny

It's not worth much more than $1.00.

Never seen this series before, but apparently it's very, very common -- worse yet, with zero precious materials (gold, silver, etc.).

Still on a bad day (one of those days where I was completely striking out), this made my little day. (The only thing of note I found.)

** Incidentally, "it came out of left field" -- quite literally, in the left field-side of a local baseball field. I am wondering if one of the players was carrying it "for luck" when he/she lost it.

Attachments

• photo(18).jpg
    photo(18).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 365
uh...your kidding right?:?:....that's part of the new series of presidential dollar coins...I get them in change all the time.

I've gotten ONE in change so far, at least it was shiney. People around here hoard anything they're not use to seeing.....

Dusty

i hoard those too:lol: i've been saving them since they came out and have a book for me and my daughter

We're so off the beaten path up here, I thought it was play money when I first saw it. I can see keeping those for the kids (helps them learn about the presidents), but I suppose all the folks that collected the 50 state quarters in hope of buying a BMW from the "value" will be disappointed again. At least it's better than collecting those $5 gold plated coins from some bongo-congo country and paying thru the nose for them......:lol:

Dusty

What did it ring as? Quarter?

I must live in a bubble b/c I have never seen these ( have heard of them though which is why I -- while excited -- wasn't euphoric).

As for ID, the thing is solid brass (apparently), and as I recall it rang "penny".

Wow, I found my 1st dollar coin today in the mist of a bad day also. I got Franklin Pierce and mine is much darker then yours. It rang up as a quarter.

They are made up of a pure copper core with an outer layer made of 77% copper, 12 % zinc, 7% manganese, and 4% nickel, this unique combination of metals gives the dollar coins their golden appearance.

They ring up as quarters, at least the sacagawea ones. I have never seen that dollar coin you have there. The only coin I ever rang up any higher was a kennedy half dollar.

Wow, I found my 1st dollar coin today in the mist of a bad day also. I got Franklin Pierce and mine is much darker then yours. It rang up as a quarter.

They are made up of a pure copper core with an outer layer made of 77% copper, 12 % zinc, 7% manganese, and 4% nickel, this unique combination of metals gives the dollar coins their golden appearance.

I wish gold was used to give them their golden appearance lol

I got John Tyler the other weekend, I was excited as well. I had never seen one,thought it was old...mine is even younger than yours- 2009 I think.
DSC_0002-4.jpg

if you hunt a state park beach(where legal)

You may get a pile of them.Gov puts them in change when ever breaking a large bill,at least at one park i md once in a while.Got a handfull of the sacjawea ones a few years back.And got one of those and a susan b this year so far.Cant seem to find a silver one.Did get a trump dollar off the beach a few years back.

Attachments

• feb.jpg
    feb.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 223
Back
Top Bottom