Opinion on grade $2.5 gold coin

Hello, I'm pretty new to coin collecting, and even newer to grading. Can someone give me a ballpark opinion on this coin? I bought it from one of those "unsearched roll" listings on Ebay. It's one of the prettiest and most detailed coins I have seen in person.

Thanks in advance!

Ltr2JDP.jpg

0ti7naX.jpg

Thanks for the opinions. I don't have any intention of letting it go for a while.

It's so nice to look at!

Hello, I'm pretty new to coin collecting, and even newer to grading. Can someone give me a ballpark opinion on this coin? I bought it from one of those "unsearched roll" listings on Ebay. It's one of the prettiest and most detailed coins I have seen in person.

did you really get this off a unsearched roll on Ebay? That is crazy...I just figured they were all scams..guess not. Though a friend at work did get a love token (on a Indian head penny) looks amazing.

looks like hairlines in the first pic, cleaned coin. $250 is not unreasonable.

Agreed but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it assuming it's authentic. There's too many fakes of this series out there. I would check it closely for depressions and/or tooling marks. Impossible to see that from your pics.

did you really get this off a unsearched roll on Ebay? That is crazy...I just figured they were all scams..guess not. Though a friend at work did get a love token (on a Indian head penny) looks amazing.

Well, this was showing as the end coin in the roll. I've purchased 3 different rolls from the same seller. One end coin was a half dime, one was this coin, and another was a wheat penny. Of course the prices varied depending on the end/showing coin.

To their credit, each of the rolls had some AU wheats, a few silver dimes (mercs, some in great shape) here and there, and a few IH pennies. It's kind of a !!!! shoot, but fun to think that it's possible that they actually weren't picked through. I got a flying eagle cent from one of the rolls too.

Agreed but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it assuming it's authentic. There's too many fakes of this series out there. I would check it closely for depressions and/or tooling marks. Impossible to see that from your pics.

I was thinking of sending this out to be graded. My mom also has a few coins she would want to get checked out, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to get this one authenticated.

Thanks again everyone for the responses.

I was thinking of sending this out to be graded. My mom also has a few coins she would want to get checked out, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to get this one authenticated.

That coin is not going to straight grade. It will come back AU details/cleaning imo. I wouldn't waste the money slabbing a common date/problem coin. (unless you just want one in a holder for yourself, in which case I would sell the raw coin and buy a problem free piece)

99.9% are a scam. Unless they are original bank rolls. This was an end roll coin. Clearly put there on purpose to general higher dollar sales. The OP didn't mention how much he paid for the roll.

Waste of money to send that coin out to be graded. Cleaned and not that rare. Enjoy it raw.

Back
Top Bottom