Nickel questions!

0z0ne

Hey everyone!

I'm in the midst of searching a box of nickels. So far, one war nickel, and a handful from the late thirties, early fourties and fifties.

A few questions.

Are there any key coins/dates I should seek?

For all of you nickel roll hunters, what dates do you keep?

Additionally, why is it that ALL the 1964 nickels I pull look to be more silver than any others I've seen?

I don't understand it. There are so many, and I keep getting fooled. I'm not a precious metal expert, nor am I a complete novice... But I tell you, the 64's show the wear and tarnish of other silver items...

Maybe it's a government secret that they are silver indeed :)

These are the only nickels, besides war nickels that I know of to really keep.

Liberty Nickels
Rare dates: 1885,1886, 1912-S

Buffalo Nickels
Rare dates: 1913-S, 1916
Doubled Date: 1937-D 3-Leg Buffalo
Scarce dates: 1913-1921, 1924-D, 1924-S, 1925-D, 1925-S, 1926-D, 1926-S, 1931-S

Well, thanks for the answers fellahs!

I think I may have found a 39, I'll have to check the mint.
As far as silver goes, my box yielded three!

One 1945 p, and two 1944 p's.

Thanks for reading and replying!

I have been doing some Nickel rolls lately got a 1943-P war nickel and the best a 1907 V. I keep all the ones from 1961 or earlier, I have been working on a Jeff album from 1938 to 1961 don't know if I want to bother with the later dates or not. Yep seem to be a lot of 1964 that at first sight look good.

The only thing about that article, and coinflation's valuation of a nickel at 7 cents each is that it may be true that a nickel is worth 7 cents in its metal composition, but how do you know that it cost the mint 7 cents to make each nickel? I am sure the mint gets their metals at a much discounted price because of the shear volume they consume on a daily basis that the nickel is costing 5 cents or less for them to make. Just my take on the situation as that article is just as much speculation as it is fact.

The only thing about that article, and coinflation's valuation of a nickel at 7 cents each is that it may be true that a nickel is worth 7 cents in its metal composition, but how do you know that it cost the mint 7 cents to make each nickel? I am sure the mint gets their metals at a much discounted price because of the shear volume they consume on a daily basis that the nickel is costing 5 cents or less for them to make. Just my take on the situation as that article is just as much speculation as it is fact.

As I said it was an interesting article to me, and having followed up by researching the data from the Congressional Budget Office and the US Mint, there is official documentation that indicates the government is losing money through coin production. Also, there is ongoing research to find ways to cut coin production cost.

The article was simply food for thought.

As I said it was an interesting article to me, and having followed up by researching the data from the Congressional Budget Office and the US Mint, there is official documentation that indicates the government is losing money through coin production. Also, there is ongoing research to find ways to cut coin production cost.

The article was simply food for thought.

no doubt! i didn't mean to challenge you lol just give you my point of view as an economic student haha

Thanks for the nice posts and great article guys! If what that report says is true, that'd be very interesting! Perhaps I should keep all my nickels indeed!

UPDATE*****

I bought another box of nickels and managed another silver (42 p), but that's about it. There were a number of oldies between 39 and 64, but mostly the new jeffys, sigh.

Additionally, I got hold of another 100$ in halves....no luck, oh well.

Thanks again everyone!

http://www.pocketchangelottery.com/article99.htm

The 1964 Jefferson nickel with the motto E PLURIDUS UNUM.
Most people are familiar with the motto E PLURIBUS UNUM
on U.S. coins, even though many don't know what it means
(it's a Latin phrase meaning "Out of many, one," and
signifies that out of my states, one nation has been forged
in this country). But often, familiarity breeds
inattentiveness. That's why many collectors didn't notice at
first when 1964-D Jefferson nickels appeared with PLURIBUS
misspelled as PLURIDUS. Heavy polishing of one or more dies
had caused the center of the letter "B" to become
obliterated, leading to this interesting error.
This isn't a high-priced rarity, but it does bring a
modest premium. And it underscores the importance of paying
close attention to the coins you find in change: Many of the
pieces that command premium value will do so because of just
this kind of detail. So you'll need a sharp pair of eyes--and
a magnifying glass would be helpful, too. An inexpensive
glass with 5-power magnification would be fine.

Attachments

• qwd.jpg
    qwd.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,343
I dont know how accurate this info is but I heard from this coin guru that you may want to keep the 1982 p & d the 83 p&d &84p I have gotten to where I cant differentiate a nickel from a pulltab on my garrett machine I used to could do it but I have gotten really rusty and wondered if anyone had any kind of trick up there sleeve. Now I remember brer rabbit and tar baby but who was that critter that kept messin with brer

Never knew that about the 64 until now. Thanks for the info.

http://www.pocketchangelottery.com/article99.htm

The 1964 Jefferson nickel with the motto E PLURIDUS UNUM.
Most people are familiar with the motto E PLURIBUS UNUM
on U.S. coins, even though many don't know what it means
(it's a Latin phrase meaning "Out of many, one," and
signifies that out of my states, one nation has been forged
in this country). But often, familiarity breeds
inattentiveness. That's why many collectors didn't notice at
first when 1964-D Jefferson nickels appeared with PLURIBUS
misspelled as PLURIDUS. Heavy polishing of one or more dies
had caused the center of the letter "B" to become
obliterated, leading to this interesting error.
This isn't a high-priced rarity, but it does bring a
modest premium. And it underscores the importance of paying
close attention to the coins you find in change: Many of the
pieces that command premium value will do so because of just
this kind of detail. So you'll need a sharp pair of eyes--and
a magnifying glass would be helpful, too. An inexpensive
glass with 5-power magnification would be fine.

I am sure the mint gets their metals at a much discounted price because of the shear volume they consume...

Nope.

Coin metals such as copper, nickel, silver and gold are intrinsically valued, which means they have value by virtue of being in high demand by global markets.

The mint must purchase at market value just like anyone else because NOBODY is going to sell these metals at a "discount" to the government or anyone else.

The ONLY break the gummint might get for volume purchase is a slightly lower transaction fee rate (transaction fees are a percentage cut based on the total value) from the vendor, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom