Swiming holes creeks

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I want to try creek detecting this summer, but don't have a clue for best strategies. Logic would dictate down stream from potential fords or swimming holes. It just seems to me that gravel would bury stuff pretty deep or floods could move stuff a long way.

I am looking for any helpful hints.

I want to try creek detecting ....

I see that you are from Arizona. Thus: You (like us @ coastal CA) are in "chaparral" type terrain. Ie.: "boom & bust" cycles. Thus: A small creek (or dry wash) becomes a raging torrent later on. And lake levels go up and down immensely during the annual seasons. Right ?

So far this boom-bust cycle, as it pertains to creek md'ing (for swimmer losses) : You're exactly right : The sand that you're looking at now, is NOT the sand that was there 10, or 20, or 30, or 70 yrs. ago. Hence: You could be detecting sand that is TOTALLY STERILE. It can be sand that simply came back in with the last spring's incoming silt. Doh.

Contrast to parts of the USA where the water-table levels remain fairly constant: The sure: wading or hunting low-water-level sands might be productive.

I see that you are from Arizona. Thus: You (like us @ coastal CA) are in "chaparral" type terrain. Ie.: "boom & bust" cycles. Thus: A small creek (or dry wash) becomes a raging torrent later on. And lake levels go up and down immensely during the annual seasons. Right ?

So far this boom-bust cycle, as it pertains to creek md'ing (for swimmer losses) : You're exactly right : The sand that you're looking at now, is NOT the sand that was there 10, or 20, or 30, or 70 yrs. ago. Hence: You could be detecting sand that is TOTALLY STERILE. It can be sand that simply came back in with the last spring's incoming silt. Doh.

Contrast to parts of the USA where the water-table levels remain fairly constant: The sure: wading or hunting low-water-level sands might be productive.

That would be Arkansas not Arizona Tom. It's a little bit wetter here! LOL

My approach has always been to study the area of interest to first find the path of least resistance to the water. Working the easiest most obstacle free path to the water has always been productive for me. That and areas at waters edge that would permit a large number of people to congregate, especially around deeper and swimmable pools.

Plenty of good creeks down here where I am (about two hours south of you) if you don't mind fighting off the cottonmouths. :D

Most of the creeks and small rivers I will be hunting are north of me. Mostly gravel bottom.

Big collage town , my daughter went there for 4 years bet that campus is full of coins. Never got the chance to do any detecting there my self.

I have pulled a little silver from the university campus, not a lot. Most places where there was silver has now been paved over or built on in the last 10-12 years. Very little undisturbed old dirt left unfortunately. I really missed out on a lot of the potential spots as I have only been detecting a couple of years.

Collage area there

I have pulled a little silver from the university campus, not a lot. Most places where there was silver has now been paved over or built on in the last 10-12 years. Very little undisturbed old dirt left unfortunately. I really missed out on a lot of the potential spots as I have only been detecting a couple of years.

Been a few years since my daughter went to school there , if I recall they had a big farming and livestock area as well as a farmers market in the area . We were all ways in a hurry when visiting her, long drive there and back so no spare time to detect. Sure there has to be some good detecting spots there , not sure how long that collage has been there. I also noticed going through some of the towns and country ,lots of old produce stands and gas stations that were no longer in use .

Back
Top Bottom