Most coins you've ever found in one yard?

Mountain Mike

Elite Member
A couple weeks ago I was detecting a house and found 125 coins in a small 20x40 front yard. I was thinking boy that sure is a lot for one small space. Then I started thinking about a hand built log cabin that is next door to me. I have been detecting that yard for years. I used to keep good records on my finds but not anymore. When I was keeping records that yard had produced over 400 coins and I know I've dug a bunch since then. I would say around 500 total have came out of that yard. That yard is so full of trash and iron that I have no doubt there are more there. Makes you wonder how so many coins could be in one yard. So what kind of experiences have you all had? Any crazy yards like this one?

Attachments

• 20190404_101142.jpg
    20190404_101142.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 278
I've had several yards that gave up over 100 coins. Back in the days (1980s) when I used to do yards a lot. But in any case like that, it was invariably mostly memorial pennies. Doh! :roll:

I'm sure some east coast dude will come on this thread telling of 100 LC's in a yard ...... Let's see ..... :sissyfight:

I've had several yards that gave up over 100 coins. Back in the days (1980s) when I used to do yards a lot. But in any case like that, it was invariably mostly memorial pennies. Doh! :roll:

I'm sure some east coast dude will come on this thread telling of 100 LC's in a yard ...... Let's see ..... :sissyfight:

Yeah out of the 500 nothing great. A few silver washingtons, mercs, and rosies. I think the oldest was a 1890s IHP. Loads of wheats. That house was built in the 20s. I just wonder what the heck they were doing. Did they go out in the yard and throw handfuls of change at each other? And why wasn't it handfuls of silver?

I don't know the exact coin count but I hunted a yard like that a few years ago. It was an old Mill house. Gave up well over 100 wheats, tons of clad (I didn't count it), several Buffalo Nickels, a V nickel, several silvers, and a couple of IHPs. Probably around the 400 coin mark all together. Still plenty more coins there. I get a handful every time I detect there.

This is just the finds from the first hunt. Ended up finding a lot more on the next few hunts. Bottom left is wheats, middle left is clad & memorials:
picture.php

That place was loaded!

When I started detecting I was in my early teens, I’d throw handfuls of coin, mostly pennies, across my parents front yard. That was over 40 years ago.

My best so far. a 1915 permission a year or so back I got 229 coins and 3 sterling rings. Silver coins, 1899 Barber dime, a 31 D Merc, 42 GW, a war nickel, a few V and buffs. 1 IHP. and YES TOM, a holed 1845 LC W/ chain. A ton of wheats and probably 6-7 dollars in clad. Also a few cool tokens. That was one of my top 3 permissions. 4to 5 hundred coins in one yard is just incredible. Good luck Mark

Back
Top Bottom