Seated coin arrows at date?

0z0ne

I've not had much luck searching here, google, or in my coin book about this inquiry I have.

Does anyone know the significance of the arrows on either side of the date on seated coins? There's a minuscule weight increase with them added, and I gather that's why they were eventually removed...but...

Have any of you an idea of what the arrows mean? Or were they perhaps just part of the design?

To be honest I think they look rather out of place on the mint, adds a bit of a modern look in my opinion.

What say you?

The weight difference is why they are there, to indicate the new weight standards for silver coins at the time. So they have no real significance as far as the design goes... they don't "mean anything."

Last edited:
AHA!

For those of you with this question in the future.....

"Arrows at the date in 1853 and 1873 indicated changes made in the coin's mass (from 2.67 grams to 2.49 grams in 1853, then to 2.50 grams in 1873). The first change was made in response to rising silver prices, while the latter alteration was brought about by the Mint Act of 1873 which, in an attempt to make U.S. coinage the currency of the world, added a small amount of mass to the dime, quarter, and half-dollar to bring their weights in line with fractions of the French 5-franc piece." ~wikipedia (http://www.ngccoin.com/)

thanks sects!

Back
Top Bottom